SiouxSports.com Forum

hobey hat trick

YaneA

I saw something on USCHO that mentioned that INCH had this up on their page.

Hobey Hat Trick

Inside College Hockey has learned that Brown goaltender Yann Danis, Minnesota-Duluth forward Junior Lessard and North Dakota forward Zach Parise are the three finalists for this year's Hobey Baker Memorial Award. An official announcement from the award committee is expected later today. The 2004 Hobey Baker Award winner will be honored April 9 at Faneuil Hall in Boston. Check back with INCH later today for more on the three finalists.

I'll go out on a limb...

WCHA player of the year, Senior, team is still in it, etc. Junior Lessard wins 2004 HB.

That would probably be my vote also. I doubt Parise would get it being a Soph and not even being the "Player of the Year" in his own conference.

Aren't the final votes already in? So that would mean that the fact that Lessard is still playing has no bearing on it, right? I read somewhere where some reporter stated that "the college hockey world is like the Cheers bar to Zach Parise... everybody knows his name". Not that I don't think Lessard would be worthy of the award, but how does he catch any of the eastern voters like Parise probly will?

Aren't the final votes already in? So that would mean that the fact that Lessard is still playing has no bearing on it, right? I read somewhere where some reporter stated that "the college hockey world is like the Cheers bar to Zach Parise... everybody knows his name". Not that I don't think Lessard would be worthy of the award, but how does he catch any of the eastern voters like Parise probly will?

Nobody is more deserving than Zach or Bo.

If he wins the Hobey is it too late for him to change his mind and come back? ;)

I think the votes ARE already in, the "hat trick" is just done for publicity and interest.

That being said, I still think Junior will get it-- the only category he trails ZP in is PPG, and then only by a tenth of a point. Oh, he also has one less assist than ZP. Sandelin certainly deserves all the praise he's received for turning the Bulldog's fortunes around, but you've got to place some credit on the players. Junior's the leader and has stuck around four years. I imagine that ZP lost some potential votes to Bo and also to the fact that most voters (assuming voting was completed before ZP left) believed he'd be around for another year... or a good portion of them, anyway.

And as we've heard on this board numerous times in the past couple of days, compare the impact ZP and Junior have had on their respective teams during their tenure. UMD's gone from the cellar to the Frozen Four, while UMD has maintained a competitive program. They were good before ZP, they'll still be good next year.

The wild card: UND defeats UMD 5 times in one season, handing the 'dogs half of their team losses. In those games, Junior had 3 goals and 2 assists, while ZP had 2 goals and 3 assists. Head-to-head, they're even.

If the voting is not yet completed, Junior wins in a landslide. Dogs unseat the defending champs, blank Michigan State 5-0... ZP leaves the NCAA... no contest.

Remember when the final three were Panzer, Gionta, and Miller? It seemed to me like everyone here and on uscho kept arguing how it would/should be either Panzer or Gionta and then Miller ended up winning it. Doubtful it would happen again especially considering that Denis plays for Brown... but there's the Eastern bias and crazier things have happened.

To sum up: I wish ZP would win it, I hope he wins it, but I'd be less surprised if either of the other remaining candidates takes the HB award. It'll be Junior.

Taken from INCH:

Hobey Hat Trick

The Hobey Baker Award Selection Committee has announced that Brown goaltender Yann Danis, Minnesota-Duluth forward Junior Lessard and North Dakota forward Zach Parise are the three finalists for this year's Hobey Baker Memorial Award. The 2004 Hobey Baker Award winner will be honored April 9 at Faneuil Hall in Boston. Check back with INCH later today for more on the three finalists.

My guess is that Junior Lessard will take home the prize.

Remember when the final three were Panzer, Gionta, and Miller? Everyone here and on uscho kept arguing how it would/should be either Panzer or Gionta and then Miller ends up winning it.

Not everyone said that. I thought Ryan Miller had a good shot to win the Hobey because he pretty much rewrote the NCAA record book for goalies that season. If Gionta had won it over Miller or Panzer, that would have been a travesty.

Winning the HB is not just about what you do on the ice, it is what you do off of it, too! What has Lessard done off the ice? Well, besides almost drowning in Lake Superior? Parise was the MVP of the WJC and is an ambassador for college hockey. When Lessard wins it, I am going to be dissappointed because he is winning it because he helped ressurect UMD. Parise and ND, on the other hand, were supposed to be good...

When Lessard wins it, I am going to be dissappointed because he is winning it because he helped ressurect UMD. Parise and ND, on the other hand, were supposed to be good...

I don't follow. It seems like resurrecting a program is a better accomplishment and more worthy of the HB award than failing to live up to expectations, as you imply ZP did in your post.

I don't follow. It seems like resurrecting a program is a better accomplishment and more worthy of the HB award than failing to live up to expectations, as you imply ZP did in your post.

I was not trying to imply that ND and Parise were not good, because they were very good. The point is that no one is surprised that ND was ranked #1 for a good part of the year and that Parise had a good number of points. What I mean is that Duluth came out of the cellar to be very good this year. Everyone expected them to be good, but probably not this good!

I found this interview transcript between Junior Lessard and PCM. If Junior does win I look forward to him trying to give his acceptance speach. ;)

PCM- Hi, Patrick C. Miller again. Junior, I know that some in our audience don't know the finer points of hockey. Could you tell them, what is icing?

JL- Icing happen when the puck come down, bang, you know, before the other guys, nobody there. The ref arm go comes up, then the game stop, then start up.

PCM- I see. What is high-sticking?

JL- High-sticking happen when the guy take the stick, and he go like that. You don't do that.

PCM- You don't do that?

JL- Oh, no, never, never.

PCM- Why not?

JL- Against the rules. You know, you're stupid when you do that. Just some English pig with no brains, you know.

PCM- Uh, what is slashing?

JL- Slashing is....like that, you know.

PCM- Mmmmm, hmmmm. And....there's a penalty for that?

JL- Yeah. And for trip also, you know, like that. And for hook like this. And for spear like that. All bad. You do that, you go to the box, you know. Two minutes by yourself, and you feel shame, you know.

PCM- Mmmmm Hmmmm

JL- And then you get free.

PCM- The Bulldogs are in Boston next week against for the Frozen Four. Good seats are still available.

PCM- I think that went really well.