SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departure Speculation

dagies

Ok, now that we know the score on Zach, who else should we be aware of?

Parise - gone

Bo - so far it looks decent he'll stay.

Greene - from posts I've read here today there is decent reason to believe Edmonton likes him well enough to sign him now.

Jones - so far looks decent that he'll stay unless he really wants to leave.

Stafford - from an interview I heard during a game a couple of months ago he sounded somewhat interested in opting in to the draft and/or playing MJ next year. Seemed like college may not be most interesting to him. Anyone else have info either way? Would hate to lose him early too.....

Anyone else I'm overlooking?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on Stafford missing a wide open net in the Denver game he better work on his shot and stay in school rather than opt in. I do not think anyone else will leave. The Devils wanted Zach for their Cup run, Greene would not help Edmonton in the playoffs, I would say he will be back.

I guess we will just have to wait and see. I understood that Bochenski was close to leaving last year, but that may have been uninformed speculation. When you add up all of the names that have been thrown out, it starts to look a little daunting. All we can ask is that the guys make the decision that is right for them (and hopefully staying at UND is what will be right for them).

The Spirko commitment is looking like better news now, as I expect he will join the team this fall. Obviously I don't expect him to "replace" Parise, but it's nice to be bringing some skill to the roster.

As a 6th round pick and a cash strapped Penguins team, I doubt Pittsburgh has any interest in signing Schneider at this point. He had an average year in my opinion. Part of that is probably due to playing w/ Smaby/Bina rather than Hale, quite a difference there. Schneider will be here.

It's good Parise will get to play with the Devils this year, but what about next year? Will he play with the Devils minor league team if there is a work stoppage? I would hate to see the kid playing in the minors next year, for the sake of playing the last couple games of the year for the Devils. I just wish the Devils would leave our guys alone until their 4 years are up. Not likely however.

As for the others who may be leaving (Greene, Stafford, etc.), they should look up Bryan Lundbolm and ask what he now thinks of leaving early. :) I can see Parise leaving early and going to the NHL, but leaving early like Commodore and Lundbolm and playing mostly minor league hockey isn't worth it. Who knows where these 2 would be playing if they would have had another year of seasoning. I know Commodore is now up with the Flames, but it's not like he is getting much/any ice time.

Either way, we've won 7 titles without Parise and none with, so we know we can still do it. Skate for #8 in 2005.

Ok, now that we know the score on Zach, who else should we be aware of?

Stafford - from an interview I heard during a game a couple of months ago he sounded somewhat interested in opting in to the draft and/or playing MJ next year. Seemed like college may not be most interesting to him. Anyone else have info either way? Would hate to lose him early too.....

DB said at a recent Fargo Booster luncheon that regardless of whether the opt-in rule is changed or not, Stafford will be back at UND next season.

For me, I wouldn't be surprised to see Greene and Schneider leave.

Schneider didn't have a good season this year, but the Penguins stink, which means he could be wearing a Pens uniform right out of college. He may take off just so that he can get a head start over the off season to get into shape for the Pens opener next season. It's stretching it (quite a bit), but it is a possibility.

Greene, it has been said, is good enough to play right away in Edmonton. With Edmonton clinging to playoff hopes, they may want him to help shore up the D.

Any speculation on the future of Massen? Not just as a draftee, but as a Sioux in general? This year was really a step down from last year.

Some have said Bo may not be in a good negotiating position due to the fact he was drafted in lower rounds.

My personal belief of the reason Bryan Lundbohm left early when Panzer graduated was because he could see his production falling off and not getting offered as much since he would be playing with Panzer his last year.

Now I think Bryan L was undrafted so maybe this impacted his situation more, but could Bo be looking at things the same way??

I am kind of surprised that a guy with the competitive drive of Parise would want to go out with that loss to Denver. I do remember him saying though that winning the gold at the WJ was more important than winning a NC at UND, which I can understand since you are playing for your country rather than a university. That is a lot of money to turn down, let's hope we DO NOT lose anyone else.

I know Commodore is now up with the Flames, but it's not like he is getting much/any ice time.

That may have something to do with the fact that he missed 19 games due to a separated shoulder that occurred not long after he was called up.

Comparing Commodore to Parise is apples and oranges.

Although Greg Johnson played all four years at UND, he is the last person that donned the Green and White that had the all-around skills comparable to ZP. And let's face it, GJ's had a pretty good and relatively lengthy NHL career. I don't see any reason why ZP won't enjoy the same fate.