SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Departure Speculation

dagies

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ZP was the only Sioux player that was a #1 prospect for an NHL team. If any other players leave I think it would be 100% their choice, and they would most likely subject themselves to playing next season in the AHL. Greene, Jones, and Schneider are not even the top D prospect for their respective NHL teams. BB is a ways down the list on a very talented Ottawa team. I would be very surprised if anyone else left, if they did wait until next fall like Martin I would lose all respect for that person, as they leave their coach and team in a crappy situation.

"I say bring back the pre-'72 NCAA rules where a player couldn't sign before his 4 years were up. "

I agree. Then they can progress to their fullest ability and will have a degree to fall back on. Especially now with the situation in the NHL. Granted $4 million is pretty nice, it may not get you as far as you would like to think it would.

Either way, congratulation to Zach. I wish him the best.

"I say bring back the pre-'72 NCAA rules where a player couldn't sign before his 4 years were up. "

I agree. Then they can progress to their fullest ability and will have a degree to fall back on. Especially now with the situation in the NHL. Granted $4 million is pretty nice, it may not get you as far as you would like to think it would.

Either way, congratulation to Zach. I wish him the best.

I dont think you guys understand. If they brought back that rule, then all of the top talent who dont plan on staying in college for 4 years would find elsewhere to play.

I dont think you guys understand. If they brought back that rule, then all of the top talent who dont plan on staying in college for 4 years would find elsewhere to play.

That is a good point. Nearly all the top prospects would go to major juniors and wouldn't even consider the college route. Be careful of what you wish for.

• 1 month later...

This is from a review of Edmonton's prospects on Hockey's Future. HF is not itself an authoritative source, but the quotes from members of the Edmonton organization are telling (they are still ringing in my ears).

---------------------------------------

6. (9) Matt Greene (D)

Weren't those remarks about Greene posted on Hockey's Future several months ago? It seems to me that they were what fueled the talk about Matt leaving early. I would put more stock in what Greene and the coaches have said since the end of the season.

Here's where I am: Some of the information was new to me. It confirmed my earlier understanding that the Edmonton Oilers really like Matt Greene, at least publicly.

I had, and continue to have, no idea whether he will join the Oilers organization next year. I will admit to taking the somewhat pessimistic position that I would be naive to be surprised if he does leave.

I will admit to taking the somewhat pessimistic position that I would be naive to be surprised if he does leave.

I, too, would not be surprised if Greene left early. Until I see him on the ice in a Sioux uniform next season, I'll be wondering. But I have to say that this looks like old information with a new spin. Maybe it's not, but that's how it appears to me.

"Irregardless"?

That is like fingernails on a chalk board to me. (Here's why.)

Travis Roche still can't stick with a big squad.

It took Commodore, the best comparison to Greene, four pro years (up and down between the AHL and NHL) before he saw consistent playing time with a big squad, and that was after three years at UND.

I hope Matt makes the best decision for him. My personal opinion is that another year in Grand Forks, and on the WCHA All-Academic team, to work on his offensive skills wouldn't be a bad all around investment in himself. Then again, honestly, I'm looking out for my "fan interests" in that statement too. ;):D

I hope Matt makes the best decision for him. My personal opinion is that another year in Grand Forks, and on the WCHA All-Academic team, to work on his offensive skills wouldn't be a bad all around investment in himself. Then again, honestly, I'm looking out for my "fan interests" in that statement too. ;):D

I would agree. I think another year would be great for him and his game, but I'm also looking out for my "fan interests" as well.

As for the others who may be leaving (Greene, Stafford, etc.), they should look up Bryan Lundbolm and ask what he now thinks of leaving early. :D I can see Parise leaving early and going to the NHL, but leaving early like Commodore and Lundbolm and playing mostly minor league hockey isn't worth it. Who knows where these 2 would be playing if they would have had another year of seasoning. I know Commodore is now up with the Flames, but it's not like he is getting much/any ice time.

Either way, we've won 7 titles without Parise and none with, so we know we can still do it. Skate for #8 in 2005.

Who's to say another year of "seasoning" would have helped either? Even if they are in the minors, they still got big $ to sign!

Do they regret their decision? I'm sure their pocket book says no!

There are many variables that play a part in everybody's advancement and development!

Good luck to Zach!

Put yourself in the athlete's shoes and then decide if you would sign a pro contract or not.

Still speculation, but it sounds like the Oilers want Matt Greene. This article was just posted today.

Hockey's Future article

- Talks with Swedish rearguard Mikael Svensk in regards to coming to the AHL next season are basically on hold until another prospective blueliner decides what he is going to do. North Dakota

Still speculation, but it sounds like the Oilers want Matt Greene.

Wanting him and being willing to pay for him may be two completely different things. I don't know that the Oilers have much money to be throwing around, but we'll see. This article smacks of a ploy by the Oilers to lowball Matty by telling him, in effect, "You may not like the offer, but if you don't come now, we may not have a spot for you later". I hope our Mean Greene Machine is back with the Sioux next year, but if not, I wish him well and hope he can crack the big club's lineup without spending significant time in the minors.

Wanting him and being willing to pay for him may be two completely different things. I don't know that the Oilers have much money to be throwing around, but we'll see. This article smacks of a ploy by the Oilers to lowball Matty by telling him, in effect, "You may not like the offer, but if you don't come now, we may not have a spot for you later". I hope our Mean Greene Machine is back with the Sioux next year, but if not, I wish him well and hope he can crack the big club's lineup without spending significant time in the minors.

This sounds a lot like the position Paul Martin was in last year. There isn't going to be enough money offerred to make the decision a no-brainer ala Parise, but it may be his best chance to compete on even footing for a roster spot.

If he goes back to UND and others come in and play well, he may not see NHL ice nearly as quickly. In my opinion that is what led to Martin's signing.