SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

SiouxVolley

6 hours ago, Smoggy said:

1258 was announced which is good for timing of it all. That's probably higher than what we averaged last year.

I am very pleasantly amused that 1258 with a Saturday at 11 AM start can be consider poor/good, but not great. I was in the Betty the first time UND topped 1000 (I believe against NJIT). That was a BIG deal at the time. I was also in the Hyslop when 300 would have been amazing, although when they beat NDSU for the first time in ~50 years in 2002 they had a reasonable crowd. UND volleyball has come a long way, due to the teams/coaching AND the community embracing the product on the floor.

Have you watched any of the road games on PlutoTV? Our support is ridiculous compared to what you see on the road. I'm pretty sure the players appreciate how good they have it here, even for a Saturday morning.

With all the fans in town for the weekend if one was going to make plans to watch that garbage on the FB field making the effort to get going a little earlier and cheer on this VB team wasn't too much to ask IMO. I was hopeful the crowd would have been better.

Idaho went 0-6 at home against Portland St and Sac St, to end its lead in the north division.  UND, Portland St, and Sac St really are rather closely together at the top of the Big Sky, and then there is a big drop.

UND currently ranks 32nd among the 350 odd DI teams in attendance.  There is only 16 schools with more than 2000, much of them in the Midwest, like Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Wichita St, UNI, and Iowa St.  Would be nice to get over 1500 average as that would be a worthwhile milestone for recruiting.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:29 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Idaho went 0-6 at home against Portland St and Sac St, to end its lead in the north division.  UND, Portland St, and Sac St really are rather closely together at the top of the Big Sky, and then there is a big drop.

UND currently ranks 32nd among the 350 odd DI teams in attendance.  There is only 16 schools with more than 2000, much of them in the Midwest, like Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Wichita St, UNI, and Iowa St.  Would be nice to get over 1500 average as that would be a worthwhile milestone for recruiting.

I was looking for 2017 attendance stats on NCAA.com, but couldn't find current data.  Do you have a link?

Team looked rough.  I don't like calling out specific players, but one front row player had way too many hitting errors and an all around player had a rough day.  it happens and Pryor has a reason to be mad as we haven't been playing well.  Last week wasn't good and tonight was worse.  In reality it's that we get stuck in certain rotations and teams have figured out who can't receive a serve.

Now to my actual rant.  Pryor is very quick with certain players to pull them. Think of Vail last year and early this year.  Tonight he waited a long time and pulled the one all around for a freshman.  She got a bad set behind her and hit it out.  So he pulled her.  Not good for confidence.  Mistakes do happen.  However, the front row player struggling never got pulled even though someone like Johnson from Roseau could've gone in.  She played all season early and now hasn't been in for a long time.

Also brings up my other gripe.  Our 3 year backup setter Mattson has played 2 sets all year.  Could make for a long year next year with no experience even though we've had plenty blow out matches.

• Upvote 2

So with the Sac St. loss, that opens up a three-way race for the regular season that includes SAC, PSU, and UND.  PSU and SAC still have a game left against each other, and we will have cheer for PSU, but PSU also holds the tie-breaker over UND, so that is a delicate situation.  The team that we can cheer for with abandon is Idaho St., which still has games against SAC and PSU (both at home), but has enough losses that they are not really a threat to host.  Too bad the right to host is not our destiny to control.  At least not yet.

15 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Team looked rough.  I don't like calling out specific players, but one front row player had way too many hitting errors and an all around player had a rough day.  it happens and Pryor has a reason to be mad as we haven't been playing well.  Last week wasn't good and tonight was worse.  In reality it's that we get stuck in certain rotations and teams have figured out who can't receive a serve.

Now to my actual rant.  Pryor is very quick with certain players to pull them. Think of Vail last year and early this year.  Tonight he waited a long time and pulled the one all around for a freshman.  She got a bad set behind her and hit it out.  So he pulled her.  Not good for confidence.  Mistakes do happen.  However, the front row player struggling never got pulled even though someone like Johnson from Roseau could've gone in.  She played all season early and now hasn't been in for a long time.

Also brings up my other gripe.  Our 3 year backup setter Mattson has played 2 sets all year.  Could make for a long year next year with no experience even though we've had plenty blow out matches.

I am really wondering if Veldman is going to be the setter next year.  It doesn't make any sense as to why she hasn't gotten a little more time in sets.  Although it is tough to get an All-American setter off the court, but when Nikki was the setter her senior year, Pryor found spots to start Griffin her freshman year. 

5 hours ago, Dustin said:

So with the Sac St. loss, that opens up a three-way race for the regular season that includes SAC, PSU, and UND.  PSU and SAC still have a game left against each other, and we will have cheer for PSU, but PSU also holds the tie-breaker over UND, so that is a delicate situation.  The team that we can cheer for with abandon is Idaho St., which still has games against SAC and PSU (both at home), but has enough losses that they are not really a threat to host.  Too bad the right to host is not our destiny to control.  At least not yet.

They should win the remainder of their conference games, but the trip to Idaho will be tricky and that final home game vs NAU will be possibly the toughest of the year at the Betty (conference wise). 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

There go hosting chances. 

Think it's much bigger that.  With the funk this team is in, they will lose all remaining games. Lost the timing as this team does not seem to have a sparkplug leader.

An older version of this team would have trounced the Montanas, as that pair is maybe the weakest in the Big sky.

It's llike the team doesn't enjoy each other any more because of personality issues.