SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 Recruiting

UND Fan

A quick update on Brew's recruits for next year:

Julia Fleecs, 6'2", F, Glidden, IA (16-3)

Averaging 21+ ppg with 9.3 rebounds, shooting 60% from the field.  She apparently runs very well - could contribute next year

Melissa Leek, 6'5", C, Portage, WI (9-8)

Averaging 10-12 ppg, probably a "project" that hopefully will contribute in a couple of years

Akealy Moton, 6', F, West Fargo (11-3)

Averaging 23 ppg with 8 rebounds while leading team in assists.  Very versatile and very physical.  I think she will be a great player for us.

Mikayla Reinke, 5'8", G, Kindred (19-0) No. 2 in Class B Poll

I don't have any stats on her but she is an excellent all around athlete with a winning attitude.  I have no idea how that translates into contributing to our ladies' BB team.

Fleecs and Moton should be great additions to the team.   With some attrition, I don't know if we have any scholarship $ available but I sure wish we could find some ball handling and three point shooting help at the guard position.   

• 2 weeks later...

After watching Moton play again this past Friday night vs Sheyenne, I agree with you that she will be fantastic for us.  She will be the best player from ND this year.  I forgot how athletic and physical she was. Very strong and very quick for a high school senior. 

• 1 month later...

Moton became the first ND high school girl ever to go over 50 feet in the shot put on Friday, with a throw of 50'3". I would expect she'll also exceed the previous state best in the javelin once the outdoor season starts, as she nearly did so last season.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. 

UND announced Thursday that volleyball standout Faith Dooley will play basketball following her volleyball career.

The Wheatland, N.D., native will have two seasons of basketball eligibility. She plans to pursue a Master's degree

So she'll use her fourth (of four) season of VB play but still only be in her fourth of five years of eligibility overall, so she can go from (fall) VB into (winter) BB season one and then come back for a second BB year (her fifth and final year of overall eligibility). 

A 6'3" player that can jump and a Ms BB runner-up. Aw shucks. ;) 

And what's with these athletes finishing undergrad degrees in 3 or 3.5 years? (Poolman, now Dooley) <-- Someone should point that out to nay-sayers ala Rob Port. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Sydney Boike has left the team because of physical limitations.

I'm assuming you mean injury and not that she just isn't physical good enough.  Did she have knee injury in high school?  Hate to see things like that wreck a chance for someone to play.

Seeing her in high school I wasn't sure if she'd ever get much playing time.  She's athletic and was good, but played post in high school and I'm not sure she was big enough for that at D1.  I also wonder with the TRF commit.  That girl has some size but needs to learn how to use it and is a bit raw.

4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I'm assuming you mean injury and not that she just isn't physical good enough.  Did she have knee injury in high school?  Hate to see things like that wreck a chance for someone to play.

Seeing her in high school I wasn't sure if she'd ever get much playing time.  She's athletic and was good, but played post in high school and I'm not sure she was big enough for that at D1.  I also wonder with the TRF commit.  That girl has some size but needs to learn how to use it and is a bit raw.

Should have said a nagging knee injury, that doesn't seem to get better.

Heard it from a source in Crookston that knows her parents.