SiouxSports.com Forum

Midcontinent Cable/Victory Sports

dickgraham

I'm not sure I'd call NESN the "Holy Cross feed" since there won't be Holy Cross announcers or anything, but if you mean that there might be a New England "bias" so-to-speak on NESN, you're probably right about that (since it's a New England station). At any rate, it's great that the local Grand Forks Sioux fans can watch on your local station anyway...

[Here's a quote from this morning's Boston Globe -- before the announcement was made that the game will be shown on NESN for sure:

"ESPN is producing TV coverage of all games in the NCAA men's hockey tournament, with NESN scrambling to fit this weekend's regional coverage of local teams around Bruins and Red Sox commitments. So far, it plans to do Friday's 5 p.m. Maine-Harvard game from Albany and is hoping to follow that with the Holy Cross-North Dakota matchup from Colorado Springs and the Denver-Miami (Ohio) game that follows HC. Channel 56 plans to pick up Saturday's BC-Niagara game at noon with NESN planning to pick up the UNH-Michigan game that follows, after Sox-Phillies at 1 p.m. . . . "]

[We love our Red Sox here -- even in the pre-season!]

Not to be negative, but I see two problems with this. First, why are we getting this info from UND? Why doesn't Midcontinent care enough to release a statement stating that they are showing the game? Does UND really run Grand Forks? ;) The second issue is whether Midcontinent is getting the Victory Sports feed for free. If so, should not all of the free games be shown and not just UND's? Maybe the plan is to show all of the free games, but we obviously don't know because problem #1.

Not to be negative, but I see two problems with this.  First, why are we getting this info from UND? 

Because people are accustomed to checking the UND Web site for this type of information. We got the information from WDAZ before it came from UND.

Why doesn't Midcontinent care enough to release a statement stating that they are showing the game?
Well, since it WDAZ and UND know about it, I'd say it's safe to assume that Midcontinent has released some type of information about it. Do you think UND and WDAZ would say anything about the schedule if Midcontinent didn't okay it? ;)

Does UND really run Grand Forks?

headscratch.gif

The second issue is whether Midcontinent is getting the Victory Sports feed for free.  If so, should not all of the free games be shown and not just UND's?

If UND's games are shown, that's good enough for me. It would be nice to see some of the other playoff games, however.

Because people are accustomed to checking the UND Web site for this type of information. We got the information from WDAZ before it came from UND. Well, since it WDAZ and UND know about it, I'd say it's safe to assume that Midcontinent has released some type of information about it. Do you think UND and WDAZ would say anything about the schedule if Midcontinent didn't okay it? ;)

I actually check here and read your posts. ;) If I didn't know about this forum, I would check with my cable company.

Does UND really run Grand Forks?

Not to be negative, but I see two problems with this. First, why are we getting this info from UND? Why doesn't Midcontinent care enough to release a statement stating that they are showing the game? Does UND really run Grand Forks? ;) The second issue is whether Midcontinent is getting the Victory Sports feed for free. If so, should not all of the free games be shown and not just UND's? Maybe the plan is to show all of the free games, but we obviously don't know because problem #1.

Victory is giving the games featuring UND, UMD, and UM for free. None of the other games will be shown. (at least that is how I interpreted it)

Midco actually emailed me back, maybe it has something to do with me forking over $70+ a month for cable and internet. I'm pretty sure the letter is a form letter, being I specifically asked about getting Victory for this weekend. I guess this is a mute point, being the games are going to be on SSN.

Dear Jason,

We recently received your request to add Victory Sports Network to the

channel line-up. Our Programming Department will carefully consider your

request when it is time to review channel changes.

We are always open for suggestions and ideas to better ourselves as a

company. Thank you for choosing Midcontinent Communications as your

cable provider.

Best Regards,

Tammy R.

Customer Service

Midcontinent Communications

1-800-888-1300

;);) Now did you actually ask them to add it to their line-up, or to just get the free feed for this weekend?

I asked them for the weekend feed. They probably have an automated response to emails with the words "Victory Sports" that sends this canned reply. Their response was a waste of their time sending it and mine reading it, it contained no information about my request. Not that I was expecting much. But they did come through and put the game on cable access, not sure if this is picking up Victory or something else - who cares they got the job done. ;)

I just got a nice phone call from my email I sent Midco yesterday

They said the game friday will be televised - But the Sat game is still being negotiated ?

I told them I have been a loyal Midco customer But if any of the dish networks started covering more UND Hockey games - I'd switch & that Hockey up here is 100 times more important than NCAA Basketball or other sports programing

I said I'd gladly go pay per view if possible to have away games

I asked if the UND Dattaflix complicates others getting to televise the games - she did not know - But I told her it is terrible & I would rather just listen to the radio because of the choppy blurry picture & buffering (it is always behind)

I wish they would cover all games come tournment time

I really got the impression that they were doing a poll to see what people wanted NCAA Basketball or other sports or Sioux Hockey - Hockey Fans better email them & get heard

Does anyone know if Midcontinent will be showing the Gopher game on Saturday. Any information would be helpful. Thanks alot

According to the GF Herald, Friday's game will be televised. If the Sioux win, Saturday's game will also be televised.

That being said, if either Gopher game conflict with the Sioux game, chances are no, the Gophers will not be televised on Midco.

I dont think that's the issue

Victory offered the UMD, UND & UM games for free.

Its whatever Victory agrees upon that the cable companies can show.

-They've allowed Charter in Duluth to show UMD games

-Time Warner in Mpls can show UMD, UND, and UM games

-Comcast in St Paul is the same as TW

-DirectTv isnt showing any of them

so far Dish Network is the only one showing all of them