SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs NAU

geaux_sioux

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:54 PM, geaux_sioux said:

I've had a bad feeling in my gut about this game since sunday morning.... doesn't mean much but this may be a tougher matchup for us than EWU because NAU, according to the stats, has a bit of a defense. Our offense needs to succeed on saturday. They can't just be along for the ride. Plays need to be made or we will lose this game.  Studs can't sit. And if he plays we need to protect him because NAU sacks the qb better than we do. Ruddy has to be on point with the play calling too. Lot's of things need to go right for us. 

Lets all pray that Rudolph doesn't call a bunch of QB draw plays for Studs if he does start. Hopefully he is smart enough not to get him hurt out there.

I think some of the nervous feeling people get about this game is because of the level of competition, and more so, I think a lot of the nerves are because of the stakes of the game. 

-Losing to an unranked (though very good team) won't help our playoff positioning.

-This is the first time UND has been in this position in the D1 era, so of course we want success and dread failure,

-We could win a Big Sky title.

-We could lock up a seed.

-We waited a long time for meaningful, late season, football.

Bottom line, the nerves, are because we have a lot riding on this game. 

• Upvote 3

NAU a very good football team playing there best now. No doubt the loss in GF two years ago is very heavy on there mind a they would like nothing better than to return the favor of beating a ranked team and spoiling any Big Sky Championship hopes.  However our boys have a pretty damn good team too. Secondary is much improved.  Number 2 in the country in takeaways and a front 7 that play like a pack of wolves on the hunt.  A offense that just keeps pounding away. Physically and mentally wearing opponents down.  This is gonna be a good one.  In Bubba we trust but  "in the boys I believe "

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I think some of the nervous feeling people get about this game is because of the level of competition, and more so, I think a lot of the nerves are because of the stakes of the game. 

-Losing to an unranked (though very good team) won't help our playoff positioning.

-This is the first time UND has been in this position in the D1 era, so of course we want success and dread failure,

-We could win a Big Sky title.

-We could lock up a seed.

-We waited a long time for meaningful, late season, football.

Bottom line, the nerves, are because we have a lot riding on this game. 

My nerves are due to Emmanuel Butler and friends at WR for them

7 minutes ago, old school said:

NAU a very good football team playing there best now. No doubt the loss in GF two years ago is very heavy on there mind a they would like nothing better than to return the favor of beating a ranked team and spoiling any Big Sky Championship hopes.  However our boys have a pretty damn good team too. Secondary is much improved.  Number 2 in the country in takeaways and a front 7 that play like a pack of wolves on the hunt.  A offense that just keeps pounding away. Physically and mentally wearing opponents down.  This is gonna be a good one.  In Bubba we trust but  "in the boys I believe "

The front seven has been fantastic so far this year...but we need their best game tomorrow.  Constant pressure and a loud crowd!!! I can't stress that enough....every defensive play needs to be ear deafening!   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Need to get to the quarterback.  Take him out of his comfort zone and make him rush his passes.  I thought I read that NAU has only given up 4 sacks this year?  That's insane!!  

Montanas forum mentioned that they had thought NAU had the best the o line in the big sky. 

6 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

The front seven has been fantastic so far this year...but we need their best game tomorrow.  Constant pressure and a loud crowd!!! I can't stress that enough....every defensive play needs to be ear deafening!   

It's because our front 7 is more like a front 24 with how deep we are and how much we rotate

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Yeah, I get that. And we don't have the top secondary in the league, but we're definitely better than last season. We'll give up some plays and some yards, but we can't give up the Big plays. It'll definitely be interesting.

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Butler is simply a dude!  But it's Elijah Marks that's the difference maker.....speed speed speed...to go along with great hands. Tough to double team either one of them as they both are phenomenal WRs. Torrey and Deion need to have their best game tomorrow.  NAU is talented and built on speed both on offense and defense.  Going to be a great game

18 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'm hoping that with our front 7 we're going to force the QB to rush and make some bad throws. I want to see the defense dial up pressure early like we did in the second half against Weber. Don't let NAU get into a rhythm.

1 minute ago, Longtime fan said:

Butler is simply a dude!  But it's Elijah Marks that's the difference maker.....speed speed speed...to go along with great hands. Tough to double team either one of them as they both are phenomenal WRs. Torrey and Deion need to have their best game tomorrow.  NAU is talented and built on speed both on offense and defense.  Going to be a great game

Hopefully having such a tall secondary will help us out if they decide to just throw it up. 

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

I'm hoping that with our front 7 we're going to force the QB to rush and make some bad throws. I want to see the defense dial up pressure early like we did in the second half against Weber. Don't let NAU get into a rhythm.

The key is holding them to short gains on 1st and 2nd down so they can't do quick plays to convert on 3rd. Can't really get to the qb on a three step drop.  Force them to throw down field which takes time and we will get to the qb.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

This will be UNDs first test against a true passing team.  The first 10 opponents are not known for their passing game....need tons of pressure from every direction.  Schmitt will no doubt call a great game, hope the guys respond.  Being an audible team, NAU constantly checks at the line ....the 12th man needs to be heard ! 

33 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If that happens im jumping on the Oxbow bandwagon

If Studs does plays Rudolph needs to go exclusively running the ball with his 3 tailbacks and his fullback.  Winning this game is big but not at the expense of not having your #1 QB around for the program's first FCS playoff game.

1 hour ago, Longtime fan said:

This will be UNDs first test against a true passing team.  The first 10 opponents are not known for their passing game....need tons of pressure from every direction.  Schmitt will no doubt call a great game, hope the guys respond.  Being an audible team, NAU constantly checks at the line ....the 12th man needs to be heard ! 

ISU is a passing team. 

Even if they don't get sacks and do quick 3 step drops, I still like bringing heat. Screw up their passing lanes, get the mitts up and tip a ball, stuff like that. Just speed the game for the QB. 

Btw, if attendance sucks tomorrow, I hope those of us that are there are completely rabid to make up for it. Our "tin shed" echoes and a smaller crowd could still be disruptive for opposing offenses. 

• Upvote 2