SiouxSports.com Forum

Old Sioux hockey photos

onzdachiefs

3 hours ago, onzdachiefs said:

Fans,

I'm looking to add a few old school Sioux hockey photos for the hockey themed man cave. The type you see at so many bars in GF and The Ralph. 

Does anyone know where to look for these?

Thanks!

Two soft cover publications have lots of old photos. 

1. "Fight on Sioux", published by the Grand Forks Herald in 2001, has many, and

2. "75 years of Fighting Sioux Hockey History", which has even more old photos, some dating back to the early 30s (published by Canada Hockey LLC).

Would think both could be found with an online search. Both may be available at Ferguson Books in Grand Forks.

Would guess the Herald has many of these photos archived.

Photo credits show most photos in the UND Alumni Assn. archives, the UND archives, and the UND Athletic Dept archives.

https://smile.amazon.com/Fight-Sioux-Fork-Grand/dp/096428605X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473623710&sr=8-3&keywords=Fight+on+Sioux

https://smile.amazon.com/Years-Fighting-Sioux-Hockey-History/dp/064162073X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473623786&sr=8-1&keywords=75+years+of+fighting+sioux+hockey+history

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2016 at 2:37 PM, sprig said:

2. "75 years of Fighting Sioux Hockey History", which has even more old photos, some dating back to the early 30s (published by Canada Hockey LLC).

Would think both could be found with an online search. Both may be available at Ferguson Books in Grand Forks.

Photo credits show most photos in the UND Alumni Assn. archives, the UND archives, and the UND Athletic Dept archives.

https://smile.amazon.com/Fight-Sioux-Fork-Grand/dp/096428605X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473623710&sr=8-3&keywords=Fight+on+Sioux

https://smile.amazon.com/Years-Fighting-Sioux-Hockey-History/dp/064162073X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473623786&sr=8-1&keywords=75+years+of+fighting+sioux+hockey+history

Some of those old pics in Fight On Sioux are great, including the view of the old barn ice taken from behind the goalie.   I remember the fog that would form when the barn was full on cold nights.

Maybe I can help. Several years ago I posted five photos taken at a Gopher game, under the name of pathfinder. I was photographer for the Dacotah Annual 1959-1961 and, among other subjects, I took all of the sports photos with a Press camera using 4x5 sheet film and a powerful strobe light.

Another option if you are in the GF area is to go to the Chester Fritz and talk with the Head Librarian. They have boxes in backroom storage that have all of the material for each annual. [The summer of 1986 I stopped by to visit the library and got to talking to the Head Librarian. When I mentioned that I had photographed for the annual, he went to the back room and brought out a couple of boxes to let me see my work again.] If they are still being saved, you might ask to borrow them and have them scanned. All of the prints are 8x10 glossies. If there is any question about using these photos, copyright or other, tell them you have my permission.

One photo that I did not take was the photo of Bob Peabody looking over his shoulder at the clock, ca. 1959. I believe the photo credit on that one goes to Colburn Hvidsten .

Al Olson

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, westernlens said:

Maybe I can help. Several years ago I posted five photos taken at a Gopher game, under the name of pathfinder. I was photographer for the Dacotah Annual 1959-1961 and, among other subjects, I took all of the sports photos with a Press camera using 4x5 sheet film and a powerful strobe light.

Another option if you are in the GF area is to go to the Chester Fritz and talk with the Head Librarian. They have boxes in backroom storage that have all of the material for each annual. [The summer of 1986 I stopped by to visit the library and got to talking to the Head Librarian. When I mentioned that I had photographed for the annual, he went to the back room and brought out a couple of boxes to let me see my work again.] If they are still being saved, you might ask to borrow them and have them scanned. All of the prints are 8x10 glossies. If there is any question about using these photos, copyright or other, tell them you have my permission.

One photo that I did not take was the photo of Bob Peabody looking over his shoulder at the clock, ca. 1959. I believe the photo credit on that one goes to Colburn Hvidsten .

Al Olson

Sounds like a treasure trove, Al.   Thanks for the tip.

25 minutes ago, siouxstudent said:

I have 10 copies of Fight On Sioux I would be willing to sell for minimal fee if anyone wants one PM me.

Years ago I was passing through GF with my teenage daughter on our way to a place I own at Metigoshe, so I got us tx to the Friday night Mankato game.   I think Ralph died just a few days prior.  There was a copy of Fight On Sioux on each seat for the fans, included with the price of admission, I guess.  I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from it. 

On 9/11/2016 at 2:37 PM, sprig said:

I wonder if the Herald wouldn't have lost a lot of their stuff in '97.

• 6 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 2:14 PM, MattC said:

I've got photos from 2008-2011 from most home games, a couple final 5's, and the 2011 frozen 4 while I worked for the athletic department.

Hey Matt, I know you're busy planning the wedding and it's tax season....but if you have a chance, do you have pics of Joe Finley in his black swift in 08-09 and Joe Gleason in his white jersey in the 10-11 season?

Just now, UNDSioux23 said:

Hey Matt, I know you're busy planning the wedding and it's tax season....but if you have a chance, do you have pics of Joe Finley in his black swift in 08-09 and Joe Gleason in his white jersey in the 10-11 season?

I should definitely have a Gleason photo. I didn't travel to any away games in the 08-09 season so I would only have home game photos.