SiouxSports.com Forum

Tech at Sioux

sioux fan in phoenix

Farce:

THAT was my point earlier in this game. They did not come ready to play.

Luckily for us, a two goal lead was all Tech could muster, because they had several chances to widen the gap by 1 or 2 more before the Sioux "flipped the switch" in the 3rd.

Speaking of "Flipping the switch," does anyone else get the feeling this team can turn up their game two or three notches on a dime? Wow. That overtime period was absolutely dominant.

Now, I only hope they have the full commitment from all 20+ players for the rest of the dance. If so, I'll see some of you in Boston!

Go Sioux.

I definitely agree that when this Sioux team brings Pressure, it comes with a capital P.

What looks like "flipping the switch" seems to be two things.

First, a decision to play more aggressively, especially in the offensive zone. Things like holding the point on D, pinching D, bringing all 3 forwards deep in the zone, Nick Fuher and Andy Schneider carrying the puck deep. I can understand why we don't do it all the time, but it is dang fun to watch as a fan. I would rather not be down 2 goals late in the game for us to have to bring it, tho.

Second, the other thing that happens to turn up the Sioux game 2 or 3 notches is when Blais goes to 3 lines. That means a lot more Parise line, and a lot more Lundbohm line, and that's where the bulk of this team's offense comes from.

Interesting line combo's late. Parise-Murray-Bochenski. Lundbohm-Stafford-Porter. McMahon-Hale-Fylling.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to think this team has enough depth to avoid using just 3 lines in the playoffs. I remember the strength of the 2000 Championship team was that they could role 4 lines and wear other teams down, even against BC in the Frozen Four.

However, I am the king of wishful thinking. Blais knows when certain players are doing well out there or not.

As an aside, ANYBODY who states that the new REA lacks atmosphere either wasn't in attendance or was in a coma during tonight's third period. It was loud and it was rockin' just like a UND hockey arena should be!!!

Most definitely. The atmosphere was fantastic. Blais and the Sioux players commented on it, as did MTU coach Jamie Russell.

And for those who care, the USCHO recap of tonight's game is now posted.

As an aside, ANYBODY who states that the new REA lacks atmosphere either wasn't in attendance or was in a coma during tonight's third period. It was loud and it was rockin' just like a UND hockey arena should be!!!

I agree, though three people behind me spent the entire game mocking the fans (including the kids next to them across the aisle) and trying to gross out the kid sitting next to us.

And on a seperate note: Got a few words in with Ziggy before the game. He's a nice guy from a first impression standpoint.

There were alot more fans at the games this weekend then there normally are. There are a good number of students who go to the games cause it is the thing to do. When Spring Break rolls around, they sure aren't gonna stay in GF just for hockey. Then again there are still some people who came to the games to do nothing. The couple behind me sat there and did nothing the entire time. What a couple of dorks. Everyone in the whole arena is standing and cheering when the Sioux tie it up and these two can't even bother to clap their hands, much less stand up. I wish REA could just kick these types of people out. ;)

I'm not complaining, I thought the atmosphere was great. Ok maybe complaining but jeez, it isn't that much to ask that two people put down their beer and popcorn to join in, is it? If it is, I am sorry and will try to never say anything about anyone ever again.

If it is a student who sits around and does nothing, I'll rip him too. I don't care who you are, if you are able to, get off your butt at the appropriate time.

Not all of the fans were as bad. The folks in front of me were awesome. They informed me of things I had questions about (like how much seats like this cost and how much things have changed for public season ticket holders) and the guys down the way in front of me were entertaining and seemingly had an in with Jake Brandt as Jake would always glove the glass in front of him, laugh and nod at him, and when we tied it up, celebrated a little bit in front of him and the rest of our section.

Ok maybe complaining but jeez, it isn't that much to ask that two people put down their beer and popcorn to join in, is it?

All I'm saying is: So what? I'm sure there were several dozen people in the arena who chose not to contribute to the atmosphere when you thought they should. That's their right. But their non-participation made no difference in getting the crowd fired up and the team fired up.

The coaches from both teams and the Sioux players said it made a big difference when the crowd got into the game and helped UND rally. Isn't that what everyone wants? Who gives a rat's rear if not every single person in the building didn't go nuts? It didn't matter.

Heck, my wife never gets as excited at Sioux games as I do, even though she enjoys attending and watching. Should I divorce her? ;)

Amen Brother, the Ralph was rocking last night even though we were minus a lot of students. What a great game to see last night. UND could have had more goals but Elsworth was up to the task. UND has speed, speed and more speed. Wearing opponents down will be a key down the stretch.

I understand your point and you are right, it doesn't and didn't really matter. it was just that these two people didn't even look like they were enjoying the game though. They didn't say one word during the whole game. They didn't talk to anyone around them and their expressions never changed. That is probably the reason it kinda annoyed me. If you aren't gonna enjoy yourself, why waste the money? I am about 90% sure these two didn't enjoy themselves. Plus the way the guy looked just made we want to punch him in the nose with his hair slicked back, wearing this black leather coat and always holding onto his cup of Miller Light. GRRRR. ;)

Since I complained, again, I'll say that I'm glad other people started things with cheering and standing up and they didn't need the scoreboard to tell them when to stand up and cheer.

Why all of the sudden are other people joining in the sieve cheer? It is great, but what the heck? Try for three years and no one does it, now all the sudden lots of other people are doing it. It wasn't like a small growth. It went from about 0% nonstudents to about 20%. Cool. :(

Why all of the sudden are other people joining in the sieve cheer? It is great, but what the heck? Try for three years and no one does it, now all the sudden lots of other people are doing it. It wasn't like a small growth. It went from about 0% nonstudents to about 20%. Cool. ;)

Now if we can just get that # to where it is 75-95 % non-students, that would ROCK!!!

Plus the way the guy looked just made we want to punch him in the nose with his hair slicked back, wearing this black leather coat and always holding onto his cup of Miller Light. GRRRR. :(

I wouldn't advise punching The Sicatoka if you know what's good for you. ;)

On the subject of atmosphere at The Ralph, you know what really ticks me off? Last weekend, Virg Foss and I participated in The Wave up in the press box. Forget the fact that I nearly knocked over the mother of Jay and Jeff Panzer because my timing was way off. It doesn't matter.

The point is, even us media jackals tried to improve the atmosphere last weekend by doing The Wave. So what do we get for our efforts? On Saturday night when the fans were asked to do The Wave, nobody did!

Is that the thanks I get for taking the risk of being banned from Sioux hockey for life? I was extremely disappointed, especially with Diggler and his buddies in the student section. Where is their enthusiasm? Where is their school spirit? How can they let a couple of fossils in the press box show them up?

Besides, the mere fact that Pat Sweeney hates The Wave should be enough of a reason for everyone to do it. ;):(

On the subject of atmosphere at The Ralph, you know what really ticks me off? Last weekend, Virg Foss and I participated in The Wave up in the press box. Forget the fact that I nearly knocked over the mother of Jay and Jeff Panzer because my timing was way off. It doesn't matter.

The point is, even us media jackals tried to improve the atmosphere last weekend by doing The Wave. So what do we get for our efforts? On Saturday night when the fans were asked to do The Wave, nobody did!

Is that the thanks I get for taking the risk of being banned from Sioux hockey for life? I was extremely disappointed, especially with Diggler and his buddies in the student section. Where is their enthusiasm? Where is their school spirit? How can they let a couple of fossils in the press box show them up?

Besides, the mere fact that Pat Sweeney hates The Wave should be enough of a reason for everyone to do it. ;):(

The wave is for baseball games where there are long breaks in the action. Hockey is too fast paced. I for one would be ticked if I missed a goal because some people were doing the wave or throwing a beach ball in front of me. In my opinion the wave does nothing for atmosphere - it has nothing to do with what is going on in the game. Standing for the PP, or chanting sieve, these are hockey things, leave the wave to baseball.

Yes the wave is for Baseball, did they do the wave in the old ralph?

I was at a game in the old Ralph when the wave was done.

On a side note, I see that some are already taking my post way too seriously. ;)

I hate the wave, that is why I'd never do it. I'll do the anti-wave, sit down when it comes to my section. Though Sweeny disliking it may cause me to reconsider. :(

I thought it was great last night when Hennan said to do the wave and no one did it. That was a horrible time to suggest it though, the place is going crazy all by itself. Everyone is standing and cheering, it is completely unneccessary to do the wave at that time. Why do you want people to sit down, so they can do a cheer? ;)

I hate the wave, that is why I'd never do it. I'll do the anti-wave, sit down when it comes to my section. Though Sweeny disliking it may cause me to reconsider. ;)

I knew that might bring you around. :(

In a close game like last night, I think calling for the wave is a horrible idea. The fans were already into the game, and I remember several goals-against coming for our opposition at the old Ralph because the fans distracted our players with the wave. I've hated it ever since seeing the second or third goal-against in the "old days".

Just for the record, I liked the wave when I was 10 and then I grew up. The wave is sssssssooooooooo '90s.

The reason the Sioux came out flat on Saturday is simple, they had already crushed MTech their last three games. I don't care what team you are you it's extremely difficult to beat the same team 4 games in a row at the same building in the same week. It's something special when a team can beat any team 4 times in a row. That is what makes a championship type team. The Sioux are really going to really show the country what they're all about in St Paul (not that they haven't already).

Kentucky Wildcats - #1 seed

North Dakota Fighting Sioux - #1 seed

This could be a special year!