SiouxSports.com Forum

Tech at Sioux

sioux fan in phoenix

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for the record, I liked the wave when I was 10 and then I grew up. The wave is sssssssooooooooo '90s.

The reason the Sioux came out flat on Saturday is simple, they had already crushed MTech their last three games. I don't care what team you are you it's extremely difficult to beat the same team 4 games in a row at the same building in the same week. It's something special when a team can beat any team 4 times in a row. That is what makes a championship type team. The Sioux are really going to really show the country what they're all about in St Paul (not that they haven't already).

Kentucky Wildcats - #1 seed

North Dakota Fighting Sioux - #1 seed

This could be a special year!

You are correct....the wave is ridiculous....Should have left us with the mullet...err...nevermind.

Want to get the fans into the game? Show more of those videos during commercial breaks...."No one...I mean no one...Comes into our house and pushes us around"....Possibly the best "get fans into the game clip" I have seen.....

The point is, even us media jackals tried to improve the atmosphere last weekend by doing The Wave. So what do we get for our efforts? On Saturday night when the fans were asked to do The Wave, nobody did!

Kinda hard to do the wave when about 90% of the fans were already standing and cheering. :(

Also the wave should be spontaneous it just doesn

One more time: I wasnt' being serious about the wave! :glare:

And I still don't believe you. ;)

I gotta say though that we complain when they do nothing and then complain when they do something. They might not be doing quite the right things or at quite the right times, but at least they are trying which is a lot more then they were doing before. That is good. Hopefully they'll use common sense from now on though. :)

From what I hear, the REA received a lot of complaints about the wave. Apparently, the section right in front of the media jackals would get sprayed with chewed up popcorn. The wave would approach media row....media jackals stand.... wave their arms.... hollar "heyyyyyy"..... popcorn spews out of their mouths and onto the clothing and hair of section 201 & 101. It was a mess.

From what I understand, if REA coordinates anymore Waves, they could be held responsible for laundry and grooming bills. Either that, or they might start handing out big sheets of clear plastic like you get when you take in a Gallegher concert. :glare:

There were alot more fans at the games this weekend then there normally are. There are a good number of students who go to the games cause it is the thing to do. When Spring Break rolls around, they sure aren't gonna stay in GF just for hockey. Then again there are still some people who came to the games to do nothing. The couple behind me sat there and did nothing the entire time. What a couple of dorks. Everyone in the whole arena is standing and cheering when the Sioux tie it up and these two can't even bother to clap their hands, much less stand up. I wish REA could just kick these types of people out. :glare:

Diggler,

You need some prozac. Quit worrying about the other 11,000 people in the arena and watch the game. You shouldn't need 11,000 other people doing the same thing you do in order for you to have a good time at a hockey game. When I'm at a hockey game, I can't tell you what the people in front or on the side of me are doing, much less the people behind me. It appears you spend 90% of the game watching the people around you rather than watching the game.

If your not complaining about the people around you, you're complaining about Kupchella, Thomas, REA Admin, the 85 year old ladies on the other side of the rink, the music, the lack of music, too much music, etc, etc.

If last weekends games with MTU would have been in the old REA, there would have been approx 2,500 to 3000 people in the stands and the atmosphere would have sucked just like it did in the '80s and '90s for games like that. Lighten up.

Diggler,

You need some prozac. Quit worrying about the other 11,000 people in the arena and watch the game. You shouldn't need 11,000 other people doing the same thing you do in order for you to have a good time at a hockey game.

I suggest drinking a lot of beer. But remember to bring lots of money last time I was there Beer was like $6.00 for a 16 oz bottle. Hockey and beer always go good together.

I watch the hockey game, but when someone is doing something different from everyone else around theml, they stand out. Because of this I noticed these two people. Excuse me for expressing my opinion that I wished these people cheered too. I know it is just terrible. Of course after defending my thoughts to PCM, I got over it. Nothing I can do about it so, why worry. Then I defended REA for when they tried to start the wave because at least they were trying. But of course, that doesn't count does it? All I say is negative things, I never say anything positive. Sure.

I didn't complain about the damn atmosphere, did I? I said it was great. I guess I shouldn't have interjected anything else though, right? Because anytime I or any other student says anything against other people here, we are just a bunch of bitching students who doesn't appreciate sh^t. Screw that. There are people who suck and I'll continue to say that whether anyone here likes it or not. If you don't like it, I don't care. Deal with it.

I wouldn't advise punching The Sicatoka if you know what's good for you. :glare:

This is so wrong in so many ways:

1. I never wear the black leather jacket in the arena during a game. Too hot.

2. "... his hair slicked back ..." My hair is never slicked back. (Rick, PCM, anyone else: Bite your tongues.)

3. Miller Fright? Blasphemy! The tap handle shall always be in the shape of a canoe if I'm not with my friends "Jack" or "Jim" or "Johnny."

However, someone did get one thing right:

"I wouldn't advise punching The Sicatoka if you know what's good for you." ;)

Back to atmosphere.

I detected two noteworthy items Saturday:

- Give the crowd something, anything, and they'll jump in and make noise*.

- It was as loud Saturday, without the students, as any other night this season.

This tells me we all need to be pulling on the same rope in the same direction.

* The first shifts of the third told me that the team wasn't planning on playing on Sunday so I woke up just like they did.

I hate the wave, that is why I'd never do it. I'll do the anti-wave, sit down when it comes to my section. Though Sweeny disliking it may cause me to reconsider. :glare:

I was anti-wave, but thanks to PCM letting us know about Sweeney's feeling towards it, I will now be doing the wave every chance I get.

My comment on the atmosphere at the Ralph on saturday night is this:

It was great and the crowd didn't need anything to get it going. When the team needed the crowd to get into the game in the 3rd period, it definitely got loud and into the game. The crowd didn't need any of the gimmicks from the Ralph to get it loud, the play on the ice and the overall enthusiasm of the people really made the game fun and exciting. It shows you that even with a less than capacity crowd, the atmosphere can be great.

It was great and the crowd didn't need anything to get it going.  When the team needed the crowd to get into the game in the 3rd period, it definitely got loud and into the game.  The crowd didn't need any of the gimmicks from the Ralph to get it loud, the play on the ice and the overall enthusiasm of the people really made the game fun and exciting.  It shows you that even with a less than capacity crowd, the atmosphere can be great.

Exactly. People seem to miss the point that cheering and the crowd being into the game doesn't happen for no reason. It depends on the situation.

After a disappointing game during the 2001-2002 season, a media jackal asked Ryan Bayda if it would have helped if the crowd had been into the game. His reply (paraphrased) was: You can't expect people to cheer when you give them no reason to cheer.

He was absolutely right.

How many sporting events have we watched where a sportscaster remarks about the crowd being taken out of the game or the need of the home team to do something that gets the fans into the game? It happens in all sports. Why should it be any different at the new REA?

It's easy for fans to get revved up when their team is playing a hated rival or playing an important playoff game or a game with playoff implications. As Tim Hennessy pointed out, it's also easier to generate fan enthusiasm in cities like Duluth and Madison where the teams haven't had success in recent years.

Sioux fans have proven time and again in the new REA that when they have good reason to cheer and go wild, they will. That doesn't mean that the atmosphere couldn't stand some improvement, but it does mean that the situation isn't nearly as grim as some continually portray it.