SiouxSports.com Forum

Meet and Greet Scheduled with Fighting Sioux Artist

MattFern

Bennett Brien visits Grand Forks to promote funding for feature film

BISMARCK—The artist and creator of the now-retired Fighting Sioux logo, Bennett Brien, will appear at the Alerius Center in Grand Forks this Friday, December 11th from 4 to 7 pm, to meet with the public and help promote the upcoming film, “UNAUTHORIZED! The Story of the Fighting Sioux.”

This event is free and open to the public.

“UNAUTHORIZED!” is a documentary that tells the story of University of North Dakota's controversial athletics icon through one-on-one interviews with fans, tribal leaders, students, bloggers, reporters, politicians, and super fans.

Brien, who is a Native American artist from the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians, will meet and take pictures with attendees, while the film's director, Matt Fern, will answer questions and show clips from the film.

Fern and his team have already shot much of the film; however, they are seeking investment via Kickstarter to capture additional footage, finalize edits and license music.

Kickstarter is a website used by artists and entrepreneurs to fund projects such as this through small private donations from the public.

Supporters for this campaign receive copies of the film, hand-drawn art from Brien and other premiums, depending on their donation.

To attend, visit the Alerius Center, Room 5, this Friday, December 11th from 4 to 7 pm next to Entrance 7. To learn more and participate in the Kickstarter campaign, visit www.FightingSiouxMovie.com. 

BennettMeetGreetFB.thumb.jpg.d5332c1fac0

BISMARCK—The artist and creator of the now-retired Fighting Sioux logo, Bennett Brien, will appear at the Alerius Center in Grand Forks this Friday, December 11th from 4 to 7 pm, to meet with the public and help promote the upcoming film, “UNAUTHORIZED! The Story of the Fighting Sioux.”

“UNAUTHORIZED!” is a documentary that tells the story of University of North Dakota's controversial athletics icon through one-on-one interviews with fans, tribal leaders, students, bloggers, reporters, politicians, and super fans.

Brien, who is a Native American artist from the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians, will meet and take pictures with attendees, while the film's director, Matt Fern, will answer questions and show clips from the film.

Fern and his team have already shot much of the film; however, they are seeking investment via Kickstarter to capture additional footage, finalize edits and license music.

Kickstarter is a website used by artists and entrepreneurs to fund projects such as this through small private donations from the public.

Supporters for this campaign receive copies of the film, hand-drawn art from Brien and other premiums, depending on their donation.

To attend, visit the Alerius Center, Room 5, this Friday, December 11th from 4 to 7 pm next to Entrance 7. To learn more and participate in the Kickstarter campaign, visit www.FightingSiouxMovie.com. 

Matt, have you sent this release to the Fargo Forum, Grand Forks Herald, Minot Daily?

I applaud your efforts, but personally I'd like to see focus on all UND athletic sporting events.  The only sport shown in the trailer involves UND Hockey or The REA.  Will footage of other UND sports be shown in the movie as well?

The documentary isn't about the athletic programs, it is specifically about the fight to retire or keep the logo.

Well they do show the Ralph, clips of hockey games, and the Sioux nickname was the name for all athletic teams of UND.  

I'm a fan of the hockey team, have been for the better part of 35 years (I'm now 41) so I have nothing against the hockey program.  I just think this documentary may gain more support if it featured more than just hockey fans/REA.  Granted I don't know what else will be in the film, but the short clip certainly focused on REA/Hockey...just saying.

Edited by dmksioux

Well they do show the Ralph, clips of hockey games, and the Sioux nickname was the name for all athletic teams of UND.  
I'm a fan of the hockey team, have been for the better part of 35 years (I'm now 41) so I have nothing against the hockey program.  I just think this documentary may gain more support if it featured more than just hockey fans/REA.  Granted I don't know what else will be in the film, but the short clip certainly focused on REA/Hockey...just saying.

Yeah I understand what you are saying. My point is that the focus of the film isn't how it affected any particular sport, it is about the fight to keep it and the fight to get rid of it. Of course you are going to see the Ralph and hockey more being it is the premier sport of the university. I love all of UND athletics as well, but I think it is irrelevant to the documentary to feature all sports when the documentary is about the logo that represented the teams not the teams themselves. 

I think it focuses on hockey because that will grab people's attention.  Hockey is the big game in town and also is the most exciting atmosphere of all the sports (could argue this one but you'd probably lose).  If I'm putting a documentary together that needs $50k to get going I'm catering to the hockey crowd in the trailer.  And I have to be honest, that trailer is impressive. Also, the tie in with Ralph Engelstad, the arena, and the nickname is a huge component of the controversy. Just my thoughts

• Upvote 2

Hockey and football would have probably been the least only affected programs if UND would have kept the logo and lived with the sanctions. Fair question on whether the other sports will or won't be featured.

What other UND teams are eligible to or likely would host NCAA tournament games?

What other UND teams are eligible to or likely would host NCAA tournament games?

How would their have been an effect on hockey? The only thing that would have changed for them was their jersey during the NCAA tournament and probably wouldn't have got a home/home with Minnesota. Maybe they don't get a regional in Fargo, but that is up for interpretation as games are played at neutral sites, not home sites. The effects would have been nowhere on the same level that football was, where home games mean everything in the playoffs as shown by the historical results.

When UND was looking for a conference home, it was openly stated that UND needed to get its nickname figured out, which had zero effect on hockey but was a major implication for the rest of the athletic department.  Basketball and volleyball were having trouble scheduling money games with regional P5 schools because of the nickname, which they need and rely on the guarantees from to help supplement their budget. The track team got uninvited from a meet because of the issue.

So again, back to the original point, it is a fair question to ask whether hockey is the only sport featured because one of the huge reasons for dropping the nickname was the detrimental effects it had on all of the other athletic programs. If that isn't highlighted than it is a huge and irresponsible omission if the goal was to tell the whole story.

• Upvote 2

Why do threads always get hijacked into a "football vs hockey" debacle?  Sorry to break the news but, hockey is the most popular sport on campus and therefore gets more exposure to promote things like this.  Doesn't hurt that at the hockey games "Sioux Forever" chants are louder than ever, not to mention the new nickname getting booed rigorously.

Give it a break with the inferiority complex!

• Downvote 1

How would their have been an effect on hockey? The only thing that would have changed for them was their jersey during the NCAA tournament and probably wouldn't have got a home/home with Minnesota. Maybe they don't get a regional in Fargo, but that is up for interpretation as games are played at neutral sites, not home sites. The effects would have been nowhere on the same level that football was, where home games mean everything in the playoffs as shown by the historical results.

When UND was looking for a conference home, it was openly stated that UND needed to get its nickname figured out, which had zero effect on hockey but was a major implication for the rest of the athletic department.  Basketball and volleyball were having trouble scheduling money games with regional P5 schools because of the nickname, which they need and rely on the guarantees from to help supplement their budget. The track team got uninvited from a meet because of the issue.

So again, back to the original point, it is a fair question to ask whether hockey is the only sport featured because one of the huge reasons for dropping the nickname was the detrimental effects it had on all of the other athletic programs. If that isn't highlighted than it is a huge and irresponsible omission if the goal was to tell the whole story.

Okay, so I guess only football is affected then?  That is, of course, assuming the football team is good enough to host a home playoff game, which has not happened in a number of years.  Yes, we are all aware that a few schools like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota would not play UND.  And yes, we all know that UND was uninvited from a track meet once.

So if sanctions meant that UND didn't get to play Wisco, Minny, and Iowa in Basketball and Volleyball and that the track team had to reschedule a track meet one time, then I guess those sanctions don't look too terribly bad in hindsight.

• Downvote 1

Okay, so I guess only football is affected then?  That is, of course, assuming the football team is good enough to host a home playoff game, which has not happened in a number of years.  Yes, we are all aware that a few schools like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota would not play UND.  And yes, we all know that UND was uninvited from a track meet once.

So if sanctions meant that UND didn't get to play Wisco, Minny, and Iowa in Basketball and Volleyball and that the track team had to reschedule a track meet one time, then I guess those sanctions don't look too terribly bad in hindsight.

Don't forget SDSU threatening not to schedule UND, there could've been others if they didn't retire the name. As for football not being in the playoffs for a long time, seeing we were not eligible from 2008-2011 and we got screwed this season the name would have definitely played a role in a bid for a home game. Retiring the name and moving on will help this school in the long run with scheduling, conference affiliation, and recruiting (ask Dale Lennon). Funny how Ralph Engelstad himself in the late 90's said UND should retire the name in 5 years (reported by Neil Carlson of VNL) I am sure hockey fans thought they were in the twilight zone. 

http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/headlines/UND-Nickname-Ralph-Engelstads-possible-response-to-controversy-may-surprise-you-346958212.html?device=phone&c=y

Edited by darell1976

Can you point to where did I said it only affected football? I said it would have affected them the most. The football team has been eligible for playoffs for a total of 4 years and was good enough (and would have hosted) a home playoff game this year if they would not have been the victim of some incredibly questionable decision making in the selection process.

You ignored the conference issue and blow off what was on its way to becoming bigger issues for the athletic department as minor. Not sure why you're trying to change the narrative, the unanswered question is whether sports other than hockey appear in the video as they had more to lose than the hockey team and if you're going to tell the story of the nickname issues, it should be one of the major reasons laid out for why it needed to go. Or is it a video for a faction of the hockey only fans to throw more blame on the rest of the athletic department for the loss of the nickname? Seems like a simple enough question.

• Upvote 1

Don't forget SDSU threatening not to schedule UND, there could've been others if they didn't retire the name. As for football not being in the playoffs for a long time, seeing we were not eligible from 2008-2011 and we got screwed this season the name would have definitely played a role in a bid for a home game. Retiring the name and moving on will help this school in the long run with scheduling, conference affiliation, and recruiting (ask Dale Lennon). Funny how Ralph Engelstad himself in the late 90's said UND should retire the name in 5 years (reported by Neil Carlson of VNL) I am sure hockey fans thought they were in the twilight zone. 

http://www.valleynewslive.com/home/headlines/UND-Nickname-Ralph-Engelstads-possible-response-to-controversy-may-surprise-you-346958212.html?device=phone&c=y

For the sake of the football program, I agree that the nickname had to go.

As for Lennon, perhaps he should focus less on UND recruiting and more on his head coaching position at Southern . . . . oh wait, nevermind.

Can you point to where did I said it only affected football? I said it would have affected them the most. The football team has been eligible for playoffs for a total of 4 years and was good enough (and would have hosted) a home playoff game this year if they would not have been the victim of some incredibly questionable decision making in the selection process.

You ignored the conference issue and blow off what was on its way to becoming bigger issues for the athletic department as minor. Not sure why you're trying to change the narrative, the unanswered question is whether sports other than hockey appear in the video as they had more to lose than the hockey team and if you're going to tell the story of the nickname issues, it should be one of the major reasons laid out for why it needed to go. Or is it a video for a faction of the hockey only fans to throw more blame on the rest of the athletic department for the loss of the nickname? Seems like a simple enough question.

Or maybe its because they lost to teams like Idaho State, among others.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can't get this video to work, does it show Ralph saying this or someone else telling u Ralph said this? Just curious.

Cant help but to see the word "possible" in the title.

Everything is always the hockey fans fault...

I can't get this video to work, does it show Ralph saying this or someone else telling u Ralph said this? Just curious.

Cant help but to see the word "possible" in the title.

Everything is always the hockey fans fault...

It was Earl Strinden in the interview who said Ralph said it.