SiouxSports.com Forum

Adjusting Expectations

geaux_sioux

A strong case could be made there is in fact depth at QB (as much or more than any other FCS program), but they simply aren't producing the results that other teams' QBs (and backups) are producing.  There are three QBs, all highly recruited, and they are not true freshmen.  Two juniors and a soph.  Maybe, for whatever the reason, they are not developing well and producing on the field?

A rundown:

Studsrud is a Bubba recruit with experience last year, spring ball, fall camp and playing experience this year.

2014 (Freshman): Pressed into action late in the season due to injuries at the quarterback position ... Started the final four games and led team to a 2-2 record, including an upset of No. 22 Northern Arizona (Nov. 15) ... Made first career start at Eastern Washington (Nov. 1) ... Finished the campaign 26-for-75 for 276 yards and two touchdowns ... Completed a season-high 12 passes for 115 yards and first collegiate passing touchdown in vs. Weber State (Nov. 8) ... Led go-ahead scoring drive late in the contest against 22nd-ranked Lumberjacks ... Also added first rushing score in that contest and finished 4-for-11 for 61 yards through the air ... Led team to first Big Sky road win of the season in regular-season finale at Northern Colorado (Nov. 22) ... Put team ahead for good in the first quarter with an 11-yard touchdown pass ... Earned first letter. 

Before UND: Threw for 1,555 yards and 18 touchdowns during senior season, also rushed for 797 yards and 10 scores en route to earning North Suburban Conference MVP honors and Minneapolis Star Tribune All-Metro second team honors … As a three-year starter at quarterback, accounted for more than 6,000 combined rushing and passing yards during prep career … Also earned North Suburban All-Conference honors as a junior and was all-metro honorable mention … Team captain on both football and baseball teams as a senior … Also a three-year starter shortstop …Honor Roll in 2012 and 2013.

Bartels-

2014 (Sophomore): Appeared in three games as a reserve quarterback ... Went 14-for-23 for 151 yards and a touchdown in win over Portland State (Oct. 11) ... Threw for a season-high 297 yards on 23-of-44 passing at Southern Utah (Oct. 25) before suffering a shoulder injury that sidelined him for the remainder of the season ... Earned second letter. 

2013 (Redshirt Freshman): Earned four starts and appeared in eight games ... Went 2-2 as the starting quarterback ... Finished the season with 1,396 passing yards and eight touchdown passes ... Threw a 75-yard touchdown pass to Greg Hardin on his first collegiate pass attempt in the win over Valparaiso (Aug. 29) ... Finished the win against the Crusaders going 10-for-12 for 212 yards ... Set UND freshman records in completions (39), attempts (59) and yards (367) and touchdowns (4) at Northern Arizona (Nov. 2) Had his second straight 300-yard passing game in 24-21 victory over Northern Colorado (Nov. 9) ... Finished with 344 passing yards and two touchdowns against the Bears, including the game-winner to Hardin with just over two minutes to play ... Recipient of the 2013 Athletics Director Award of Merit ... Earned first letter.

2012: Redshirt season ... Named the Offensive Scout of the Week vs. Eastern Washington ... Recipient of the 2012 Athletics Director Award of Merit. 

BEFORE UND: Two-time Northern Illinois Big 12 All-Conference honoree and two-time Daily Chronicle All-Area selection ... First team member of All-State Academic Team ... Team Captain as a senior when he completed 65 percent of his passes and threw 14 touchdowns ... Selected to play in the East-West Shrine Game ... Racked up career totals of 955 yards rushing, 3,890 yards passing along with 23 rushing touchdowns and 34 passing scores.

Mollberg-Very heavily recruited by FBS and top FCS programs

2014 (Sophomore): Started the first eight games of the season before a leg injury forced him to miss the final four contests ... Finished 78-for-143 for 919 yards and three touchdowns ... Threw for a season-high 222 yards in Big Sky opener at Montana State (Sept. 27) ... Led team to home wins over Robert Morris (Sept. 6), Stony Brook (Sept. 20) and also went 7-for-8 for 61 yards before leaving an eventual win over Portland State (Oct. 11) early with an injury ... After a bye week, started the Southern Utah (Oct. 25), but suffered season-ending injury in first quarter against the Thunderbirds ... Named to the Big Sky All-Academic Team ... Earned second letter. 

2013 (Redshirt Freshman): Started seven games during the season, finishing with 1,729 passing yards and seven touchdown passes ... Threw for two touchdowns and 259 yards, including a 73-yard completion in a 35-28 loss to South Dakota State (Sept. 7) ... Led three second-half touchdown drives against the sixth-ranked Jackrabbits ... Made first career start in game three of the campaign vs. Montana (Sept. 14) ... Finished with 281 passing yards and two touchdown tosses against the 15th-ranked Griz ... Had three games with 250 or more passing yards, including a season-high 355 yards vs. No. 6 Eastern Washington (Oct. 12) ... Completed a season-high 33 of 45 passes against the Eagles ... Threw for 197 yards in his final start of the season at Portland State (Oct. 26) ... Named to the All-Big Sky Academic Team ... Recipient of the 2013 Athletics Director Award of Merit ... Earned first letter.

2012: Redshirt season ... Recipient of the 2012 Athletics Director Award of Merit.

BEFORE UND: Named first team All-Heart O'Lakes Conference, first team all-section and honorable mention all-state as a senior ... Minnesota Vikings All-Star team honoree ... Team Captain as a senior ... Finished career as the all-time career passing leader at Detroit Lakes and and top five in scoring ... Earned first team all-section honors and honorable mention all-state honors as a junior ... Finished prep career as the all-time leading scorer in Detroit Lakes history for basketball.

This team needs to recogonize its potential and each man becomes self accountable for his offseason preparation and development. What you put in during the offseason working on your craft, reveals itself in the fall. And, each man needs to come back pissed off and ready to fight to defend the proud tradition of UND and the legacy of those that came before them. It comes down to preparation and taking pride in what you do, while being accountable on and off the field.

It doesn't take an all American qb to dump down to the tight ends.  Und needs to use the tight ends, preferrably Adler, the guy is a stud.  Rudolph refuses!   3.5 yds is all you need a play.   It would fit Unds grind it out offense and loosen the oppositions d , so every once in a while you can take a shot.  Right now, opposing defenses are not even looking at Unds qb , zeroed in on Santiago.  Santiago is to good to be completely shutdown.  The 3 and outs in the 2nd half of games have put to much pressure on the injured d.  Explains a lot of the injuries in the defensive side, they are on the field much more then they need to be 

• Upvote 2

Allow, indulge, me one more:

I am NOT going to adjust my expectation that the fumbles must stop (recovered or given away). It takes a down away from an already questionable offense.

I don't think geaux_sioux was suggesting that turnovers be tolerated. He was talking about how it will take this program longer to turn around than most people on here would like.

Geaux_Sioux makes some good points about our expectations and correctly points out that Bubba needs time to get his guys in place (and appears to be an excellent recruiter).  In addition, injuries have hurt us greatly.  It helps to keep these things in mind.  However, there are a few areas that need to be improved that no pass should be given.  We have been blown out twice by superior teams (NDSU and Montana - no heartburn here).  In addition to these blowouts, we have had 3 of the worst 4th quarters I have seen as a long-time Sioux fan - the entire Drake second half, and Idaho State and Weber State.  I know thin ranks hurt us here, but these meltdowns were of epic proportions.  Compounding this, we have an O coordinator that seems incapable of coming up with a scheme to handle an 8 in the box defense.   I really thought Bubba Ball would eliminate some of this type of play.  Other areas the coaches need to work on - the turn-over battle is killing us, we have poor coverage on kicks and seem to make poor kick return choices, and we seem to have a lack of quarterback development.  As a fan it is really hard to know how to feel about this team - Like Geaux said, it isn't our record, it' how we got there.  I think we need to remember that many fans are smarting from at least 8 years of wandering in the wilderness and had high hopes early this year.  Their frustration on this board doesn't translate into poor support on game day.  We are pretty hard core fans here - I hope we can get more of the casual fans back.  

Geaux_Sioux makes some good points about our expectations and correctly points out that Bubba needs time to get his guys in place (and appears to be an excellent recruiter).  In addition, injuries have hurt us greatly.  It helps to keep these things in mind.  However, there are a few areas that need to be improved that no pass should be given.  We have been blown out twice by superior teams (NDSU and Montana - no heartburn here).  In addition to these blowouts, we have had 3 of the worst 4th quarters I have seen as a long-time Sioux fan - the entire Drake second half, and Idaho State and Weber State.  I know thin ranks hurt us here, but these meltdowns were of epic proportions.  Compounding this, we have an O coordinator that seems incapable of coming up with a scheme to handle an 8 in the box defense.   I really thought Bubba Ball would eliminate some of this type of play.  Other areas the coaches need to work on - the turn-over battle is killing us, we have poor coverage on kicks and seem to make poor kick return choices, and we seem to have a lack of quarterback development.  As a fan it is really hard to know how to feel about this team - Like Geaux said, it isn't our record, it' how we got there.  I think we need to remember that many fans are smarting from at least 8 years of wandering in the wilderness and had high hopes early this year.  Their frustration on this board doesn't translate into poor support on game day.  We are pretty hard core fans here - I hope we can get more of the casual fans back.  

Remember 2013 season

2 home games

Montana we lost 55-17

Montana State we lost 62-20

We have had key injuries this season that have cause  losses in Idaho and Weber. 

Depth will take care of this.

Edited by Nodak78
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, I just don't see the reason for all the optimism. When you look at the state of the team and the remaining schedule is there another win on it? A 4-7 record wouldn't be progress.

Bubba has had almost six seasons as a head coach at two different schools. He now has 31-32 career record. UMD was 36-11 the four seasons before he took the job, 22-21 the four years he was there, then 52-5 the four years after he left. He oversaw a defense on some very mediocre SIU teams that gave up 38 points or more 11 times in his last four years there. Would he have even gotten an interview if it wasn't for his history with the school?

The pass defense is deplorable. UND has given up 24 TD passes which is the worst in I-AA. And just 1 interception in 258 opponent pass attempts- how is that even possible? Especially for a team that stops the run and tries to put so much pressure on the quarterback. Even if there is a lack of experience and talent, it's up to the coaches to devise a better game plan to help offset that weakness.

If there really is a four year plan, then why is UND pulling red shirts on 17 year old kids that aren't ready to play at this level? If the plan is rebuild over time, then take some lumps now and save the best years for these players.

Of course not all of this is Bubba's fault. I knew UND football was in trouble when the school hired Faison. The guy's entire career as an AD was at Indiana State and New Mexico State. He has no clue what a successful college football program looks like. He is proud of the fact that UND is like 5th in the Big Sky in pay for the coaches. If it's not hockey, Faison is happy to be mediocre.

I really hope I'm proven wrong on this but I don't think I will be. As long as the current culture remains in place even with FCOA on the horizon I see the ceiling for UND football as an occasional 6 or 7 win season. That's what you get when you'd rather invest in women's hockey than the sports that matter.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Remember 2013 season

2 home games

Montana we lost 55-17

Montana State we lost 62-20

We have had key injuries this season that have cause  losses in Idaho and Weber. 

Depth will take care of this.

How many years have to go by before having 40+ points hung on you stops being a regular occurrence?

I counted twice since 2004 (first transition year) for the ac and both were in the same year.

I counted 14 times for UND since 2008.  Muss had two in his first two seasons as HC.  Bubba has now had 3 and his second season is not yet complete.  I think many thought those days were behind us with Bubba ball, hence some frustration.

Honestly, I just don't see the reason for all the optimism. When you look at the state of the team and the remaining schedule is there another win on it? A 4-7 record wouldn't be progress.

Bubba has had almost six seasons as a head coach at two different schools. He now has 31-32 career record. UMD was 36-11 the four seasons before he took the job, 22-21 the four years he was there, then 52-5 the four years after he left. He oversaw a defense on some very mediocre SIU teams that gave up 38 points or more 11 times in his last four years there. Would he have even gotten an interview if it wasn't for his history with the school?

The pass defense is deplorable. UND has given up 24 TD passes which is the worst in I-AA. And just 1 interception in 258 opponent pass attempts- how is that even possible? Especially for a team that stops the run and tries to put so much pressure on the quarterback. Even if there is a lack of experience and talent, it's up to the coaches to devise a better game plan to help offset that weakness.

If there really is a four year plan, then why is UND pulling red shirts on 17 year old kids that aren't ready to play at this level? If the plan is rebuild over time, then take some lumps now and save the best years for these players.

Of course not all of this is Bubba's fault. I knew UND football was in trouble when the school hired Faison. The guy's entire career as an AD was at Indiana State and New Mexico State. He has no clue what a successful college football program looks like. He is proud of the fact that UND is like 5th in the Big Sky in pay for the coaches. If it's not hockey, Faison is happy to be mediocre.

I really hope I'm proven wrong on this but I don't think I will be. As long as the current culture remains in place even with FCOA on the horizon I see the ceiling for UND football as an occasional 6 or 7 win season. That's what you get when you'd rather invest in women's hockey than the sports that matter.

The team is so short on players that Bubba has to pull the redshirts. I am sure he doesn't like doing it, but the previous regime damaged the program to the point where it is almost like starting over from scratch.

How many years have to go by before having 40+ points hung on you stops being a regular occurrence?

I counted twice since 2004 (first transition year) for the ac and both were in the same year.

I counted 14 times for UND since 2008.  Muss had two in his first two seasons as HC.  Bubba has now had 3 and his second season is not yet complete.  I think many thought those days were behind us with Bubba ball, hence some frustration.

When Bubba gets his own kids in here (it will probably take two recruiting classes), then I think the bleeding will stop.

The team is so short on players that Bubba has to pull the redshirts. I am sure he doesn't like doing it, but the previous regime damaged the program to the point where it is almost like starting over from scratch.

The team went into fall camp with a full roster. Maybe they were short on talent at some spots but it doesn't make sense to pull a red shirt so a kid can run 20 fly sweeps this fall. Pulling all of these red shirts just compounds the problem. 

The team went into fall camp with a full roster. Maybe they were short on talent at some spots but it doesn't make sense to pull a red shirt so a kid can run 20 fly sweeps this fall. Pulling all of these red shirts just compounds the problem. 

Bubba is still cleaning house from the Mussman regime. Also, you have guys like Chris Brown, who quit when he lost his starting job. Those things take a toll on depth.

Based on what? Once all of his recruits were in place at SIU they couldn't stop anyone either. 

Enough of the SIU rhetoric, you are sounding like the NDSU trolls. Lennon is in charge at SIU, Bubba was the defensive coordinator. Lennon had the final say in all matters, not Bubba. Maybe Bubba didn't have enough of the right talent to execute his scheme the way he wanted to? This is a different recruiting footprint than SIU and the kind of kids we go after will be different. Your comparison isn't really apples to apples.

Also have got to remember, UMD, UND DC, and SIU DC were all stepping stones for Bubba. Is the guy not allowed to learn from past experiences? I fully expect coaches' abilities to increase w/time. 

Have zero reason to doubt BUBBA, yet. Some things Rudy has done seem questionable (4th and medium, w/game on line going deep, 2x in a row).

As for the shirts being pulled, I haven't liked iwarri's shirt being pulled, but you've got to put the best product on the field every year. I expect less shirts will get pulled as the years go on, but Bubba's job is to do what's best for this team this year as far as playing time goes, while the playoffs are still in picture (unlikely, but possible). Recruiting is when you worry about next year.

• Upvote 1

Pulling the shirt on Santiago... how has that worked? Olivera? Grady? Last season with Greeley? Dranka? We haven't pulled many redshirts at all if you look at it. And most of the guys have made major contributions their fr year. Smith has struggled a bit, as has Greer, but you can't predict success with 100% accuracy. Injuries forced all of these shirts to be pulled. Bubba isn't the type to pull a shirt unless he has to either by injuries or a kid being too good to redshirt. 

Anybody think they should try and move Smith to safety? I'm not sure he has the creativity to play RB, or the ability to protect himself. He's too linear with his runs. Maybe he could be a really good safety. He looked damn good on defense in HS. He's got the size and the speed and the hands.

It is time for everyone to stand behind the football players of the University of North Dakota. The players chose this school, they play with pride for this school. They get hurt, they stay up late to finish school work, traveling in airplanes to every away game.(exhausting)  Devoting untold amounts of time that most people don't understand unless they are close to a person on the team. They get raked over the coals, analyzed with great intensity. The senior class has spent most of the time in upheaval with coaches coming and going and other players leaving the team and the school.

These are great young men playing for a great university.They are not perfect  but they deserve credit for getting up every day and doing it all again.  Very, Very proud to be a fan of this group of players.

i agree well said!