SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Manitoba - Gameday

AZSIOUX

ummm. 2 of those are basically practice goalies.

I remember the hype when Hyrnihk came in. Bet he would love to hear he is a "practice goalie". Let's not forget how good the #1 was the last two seasons, just because 2 and 3 didn't play doesn't necessarily mean they are practice only goalies.

I'd be surprised if he left after 1 year. He's not Toews or Parise level. He is good. If he likes it here, he'll be playing for at least 2 years. 

He has similar hype to parise coming in. Will he end up being as good as an NHL player? Odds are no. But he's a solid 1st rounder that probably should have went higher.

• Upvote 1

Hyrnihk was brought in to be the 3rd goalie and we recruited guys so he would remain in that role.

exactly and those type know their roles. If Tomek is back neither oneof them plays a minute of real action this season. It was telling last night that one only played a handful of minutes. They are very aware of their roles.

Edited by AZSIOUX

The game last night was fun and surprising to watch.  In past year's UND has not looked good in the first period against Manitoba.  Except for the goaltending, last night UND looked very good right from the start.  Wilkie fit right into the top line.  Boeser is a sniper.  The freshmen fit right in and were engaged in the play, filling the right spots.  Give Manitoba's starting goalie some credit, he made some great saves.  UND simply outskated Manitoba all over the ice.  UND has always beat them in the past, but not like last night.

This is going to be a fun year to watch.  This team can skate and it can shoot.  UND has one of the best defenses in the country.  The question mark is goaltending.  I thought that Cam settled down somewhat as the game went on.  His big problem was rebound control.  He absolutely set up the Manitoba player on the first goal.  Hopefully a certain goalie coach we all know can help work those things out.  I though I read that Tomek won't start in the Icebreaker,  so Cam is probably it for now.

Hyrnihk was brought in to be the 3rd goalie and we recruited guys so he would remain in that role.

I find this hard to believe, but I admit I dont know how the system works. I found this article that says great things about him coming in, but he himself admits playing time will be tough to get..

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=94332

I couldn't find much about Cam..???

The freshmen looked dynamic...  I was especially pleased with the play of Boeser, Janatuinen, Wilkie, and Gersich up front.  These youngsters stepped into top line roles immediately and produced "big time".  I thought Shaw look strong and solid on the line also.  I am so excited for all of our goal scorers to get up to speed and start tallying goals that count!  I know it could be a learning curve at first, BUT we have a formidable D-Unit which will keep us in games and allow the scorers to slowly ramp up to top performance.  Here are three really early season predictions from our team!

- Top of the scoring charts will be a race between Caggiula and Poganski, with Boeser catching speed at the end of the season and making it close.

- Stecher will be the top D-Man in the NCHC

- We will be playing for a Penrose cup at the end of the season

So lets get this season started this coming weekend with convincing wins vs LSSU and Maine.  Hopefully a National Championship as the University of North Dakota _____________ (Insert new name) will help us all forget about the nickname struggle and embrace the future of the University and a continued dominance in NCAA Ice Hockey!

Edited by UND WFO78
  • Upvote 4