SiouxSports.com Forum

What's Up With The Offense?

geaux_sioux

My "frustrated relative of player who isn't getting a fair shake" radar is pinging loudly right now.  Speaking of which, what happened to 'Sioux Nation'?  Ever since Casey Young quit he hasn't been around much.  :silly:

This does happen sometimes, but I think the line is likely good enough it just isn't cohesive enough yet. 

Coach Knauf is no way better then Coach Cunningham, Coach Lotysz, or Mussman when he worked with the O line. He is very far from Coach Cary. We'll see how this year turns out with the O line. If their is no improvement all the fingers should be pointed at Knauf. And in my opinion the coaching staff last year finally realized that they should give Jer carries and not waste his talent. That was the improvement not so much the o line it was the same o line. They just found a back that could actually make people miss not a linebacker or Simmons who was strictly north south. 

Wow, someone seemed to have an axe to grind.  Seriously Jer was not a good RB until the last several games of his career and you don't the OL deserves some of the credit?

A lot of times when an OL isn't getting it done it is due to confusion up front and that often happens if blocking schemes are to complex and may have them thinking to much and not just playing ball.  Simplify and let the guys plays fast to see if it improves.  If that doesn't help you know UND doesn't have the horses up front.  Zone blocking is a very simple concept but extremely difficult to do well, part of the issue may be the guys just aren't working well enough together yet which is another reason to streamline blocking schemes.    

To me it was a personnel problem.  There were a few players on Saturday that looked the part that ndsu was playing, but not nearly enough.  They are just playing a different game.

Bubba needs a lot more time to get that many quality players in the program and build tradition.

• Upvote 2

To me it was a personnel problem.  There were a few players on Saturday that looked the part that ndsu was playing, but not nearly enough.  They are just playing a different game.

Bubba needs a lot more time to get that many quality players in the program and build tradition.

Agree. Let's call it what it is. UND doesn't have enough quality starting offensive linemen yet. 

It will be interesting to see if there will be changes in the offensive personnel.  I found it puzzling that yesterday's depth changes only were on defense (except for an OR for wide receiver position).  I guess I could see that they may give the current line, QB and RB's this week to prove they deserve their spots (since NDSU was last game and were clearly a very good team)

Mussman's offense put up 600 passing yards (thanks Braden Hanson) against Montana in 2012). Will we ever see a performance like that again? With this offense...no way. Mussman didn't win games cause his defense wasn't good, we have just the opposite with Bubba. Hopefully there will be a happy medium soon.

Wow, someone seemed to have an axe to grind.  Seriously Jer was not a good RB until the last several games of his career and you don't the OL deserves some of the credit?

Jer has always been a good running back. He didn't get the ball his senior year until it got to the point where they had to play him. Imagine what he could have done if he had the ball all year? But no of course the coaching staff went with Simmons because he was their guy and even switched a linebacker to RB and gave him carries before Jer got his chance. Also Mussman never really gave Jer his due either, went with Jake Miller and others or just passed the ball 50 times a game. He finally got his chance with 3 or 4 games left to be the feature back, and look what he did, that didn't just come out of no where he has always had talent. I'll give the o line from last year some credit. But also with Keaton being thrown into action last year, he clearly wasn't ready and we had to run the ball a lot to try and have some kind of offense. So when you run the ball 20-30 times or more a game then I would give Rudolph most of the credit for giving Jer all the carries. I don't think it was because of good O line play, he had to run all game. 

Jer has always been a good running back. He didn't get the ball his senior year until it got to the point where they had to play him. Imagine what he could have done if he had the ball all year? But no of course the coaching staff went with Simmons because he was their guy and even switched a linebacker to RB and gave him carries before Jer got his chance. Also Mussman never really gave Jer his due either, went with Jake Miller and others or just passed the ball 50 times a game. He finally got his chance with 3 or 4 games left to be the feature back, and look what he did, that didn't just come out of no where he has always had talent. I'll give the o line from last year some credit. But also with Keaton being thrown into action last year, he clearly wasn't ready and we had to run the ball a lot to try and have some kind of offense. So when you run the ball 20-30 times or more a game then I would give Rudolph most of the credit for giving Jer all the carries. I don't think it was because of good O line play, he had to run all game. 

I am sorry but Jer was not a good RB most of his career.  I don't want to talk bad about him so I will leave it at that.  He was quick and could cut but he had a ton of room to run at the end of last season. 

I disagree in that we should shrug our shoulders and say we suck, nothing we can do.

To say we have to wait for more talent isn't the best plan for this year and for this group of Seniors.  Good offenses find a way schematically to produce, and sometimes regardless of talent.  NDSU was more talented and that is going to happen in the Big Sky, too, so let's figure some things out rather than saying our guys suck too bad to do anything about it.

• Upvote 1

Mussman's offense put up 600 passing yards (thanks Braden Hanson) against Montana in 2012). Will we ever see a performance like that again? With this offense...no way. Mussman didn't win games cause his defense wasn't good, we have just the opposite with Bubba. Hopefully there will be a happy medium soon.

That 2012 Montana team was average at best. Let's stop praising Mussman's teams as if they had unstoppable offenses. If UND's offense was so good in 2012, UND would have won more than 5 games. 

Bubba believes running the football, maximizing time of possession, and minimizing turnovers is the best way for UND to play offense considering the regional recruits. I agree with that mindset; there are not very many DI skill position players in North Dakota and Minnesota but plenty of offensive linemen/tight end types. With that said, it will still take time for Bubba and his staff to build up the roster with upper-tier FCS players. 

Jer Garman was not a good DI running back. Maybe at the DII level, but not at this level; he didn't have the size nor the strength to be considered a good DI running back. Look at the top Big Sky Conference running backs over the past few years, or the RBs that NDSU has had during their championship streak; Garman doesn't compare to them. He benefited from decent blocking and poor competition at the end of last season. 

• Upvote 1

I disagree in that we should shrug our shoulders and say we suck, nothing we can do.

To say we have to wait for more talent isn't the best plan for this year and for this group of Seniors.  Good offenses find a way schematically to produce, and sometimes regardless of talent.  NDSU was more talented and that is going to happen in the Big Sky, too, so let's figure some things out rather than saying our guys suck too bad to do anything about it.

I agree that it isn't all on the talent; however, most of it is.

With that said, Rudolph and the offensive staff need to gameplan and call plays with some ingenuity. They can't be so predictable and they have to do a better job of getting playmakers (John Santiago, Josh Seibel, Iwarri Smith, Clive Georges when he comes back etc.) the ball in space whenever the offensive line can't get the power running game going. 

Last Saturday against NDSU, when the offensive line was struggling on first and second down, it was time for some quick plays to the outside to stretch the NDSU defense horizontally a bit. 

• Upvote 1

That 2012 Montana team was average at best. Let's stop praising Mussman's teams as if they had unstoppable offenses. If UND's offense was so good in 2012, UND would have won more than 5 games. 

Bubba believes running the football, maximizing time of possession, and minimizing turnovers is the best way for UND to play offense considering the regional recruits. I agree with that mindset; there are not very many DI skill position players in North Dakota and Minnesota but plenty of offensive linemen/tight end types. With that said, it will still take time for Bubba and his staff to build up the roster with upper-tier FCS players. 

They would've won more games if the games weren't always a track meet with our pathetic defense. Mussman did have great receivers and got a good DI QB in Hanson to help out the offense. I think Mussman would be a good OC, he was just a bad head coach.