SiouxSports.com Forum

Travis O'Neil - Sad Deal

UND Fan

Rest in peace, Travis!

My apologies - I misspelled O'Neel on the Subject Line and don't think I can correct it!

Courtesy UNDsports.com

Travis O'Neel: 1978-2015
Courtesy Jayson Hajdu, UND Athletic Media Relations
Tue, June 23, 2015

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- The University of North Dakota Athletics Department and the UND football program mourn the passing of former linebacker Travis O'Neel, who has passed away due to injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident in Thailand.

O'Neel, originally from Eden Prairie, Minn., played at UND from 1997 through 2001 and was a member of the school's NCAA Division II national championship team as a senior.

"The entire UND football family is sadded by this news," said head football coach Bubba Schweigert, who was O'Neel's defensive coordinator at UND. "Travis was a young man who was really making an impact on a lot of lives, not only as a good family man for his two young boys and his wife, but also in providing education for so many young people around the world.

"On the field, he was one of our all-time greats," continued Schweigert. "He was a captain of our national championship team. He was a dependable, physical, athletic inside linebacker who played the game with passion and who was a part of one of the most dominant defenses in the history of UND football."

O'Neel led UND's national title team in tackles (87) and earned Division II All-America honors from Football Gazette (1st team), Daktronics (1st team), D2Football.com (1st) and the Associated Press (2nd team). In 1999, O'Neel was named to the Sophomore All-America Team by USA Football.

A three-time All-North Central Conference First Team performer, O'Neel appeared in 48 collegiate games and amassed 214 total tackles. He helped lead UND to three NCAA postseason appearances and a four-year record of 39-9 (.813).

O'Neel, a two-time Academic All-NCC selection, graduated from UND in 2002 with a bachelor's degree in elementary education. He was a teacher in Thailand at the time of his passing.

UND Athletics would like to extend its deepest sympathies to Travis' family and friends. 

Click HERE to visit Travis' CaringBridge site and click HERE if you wish to make a donation to Travis' family in order to assist with medical expenses.

Travis was a totally down to earth guy but such a KEY part of the HEART and SOUL of that 2001 Defensive corps that led UND to the NC.   He and Eric Schmidt were TOTAL ANIMALS on that Bubba-led defense! 

I was there and had the privilege of seeing ALL it all - from game 1 to Bubba hugging him in congratulations on the field in Florence right in front of me while my camera rolled...

RIP Travis

Thanks for the memories!  I remember them all.

When I see his name.....I can just hear how the announcer use to say his name after he tackled somebody....tackled by......Travis.... O'Neel, I can quite explain it but it was almost in a monster truck announcers type voice the way he'd say his name, or at least that's the way it is in my mind when I recall it.   I loved it.  I didn't know him but sounds like he was as good of a guy as he was a football player, very sad.....and makes you think about life.

• Upvote 1

When I see his name.....I can just hear how the announcer use to say his name after he tackled somebody....tackled by......Travis.... O'Neel, I can quite explain it but it was almost in a monster truck announcers type voice the way he'd say his name, or at least that's the way it is in my mind when I recall it.   I loved it.  I didn't know him but sounds like he was as good of a guy as he was a football player, very sad.....and makes you think about life.

Yes I too remember the way they said his name!  A very sad day indeed...I remember when they all lived in that house and his mom got them all TP!  They were so happy!  His brother got married the day of the national championship..