SiouxSports.com Forum

Legislature demand UND/NDSU rivalry?

star2city

The following story has been making the rounds of the Associated Press. Since the link probably won't last, the entire story is posted below. If the legislature gets involved in this, by the same logic, they should mandate which NCAA division that the schools should be in, which they didn't do last session. Hot air and political posturing IMHO.

Proposal to save athletic rivalry wouldn't get far, legislators say

By DAVE KOLPACK Associated Press Writer

The Associated Press - 02/15/2004

FARGO, N.D.

Lawmakers say they wouldn't be surprised to see a proposal to save the athletic rivalry between the state's largest universities, although it's likely that most legislators would pass on the idea.

The longtime dual between North Dakota State University and the University of North Dakota has been scrapped in most sports because NDSU is moving up to the NCAA Division I ranks next season. Officials at UND announced last week that they were dropping the Bison from their schedule, citing Division II playoff criteria that favors teams who play opponents within the division.

Many legislators are disappointed to see the divorce, which could lead to some debate in the 2005 session, said Sen. Joel Heitkamp, D-Hankinson.

"I will guarantee that there will be a legislator who's going to try and make them play," Heitkamp said. "I don't know whether the legislation will go very far, but I'm expecting there will be enough people to bring it up."

Heitkamp, a college football referee who has worked games at both schools, said he would not support legislation forcing the teams to play. But he believes the rivalry should continue.

"I think it's ridiculous that they are not playing," he said. "This is something that brings back people from all over the nation. We lose the rivalry, it's bad not only for North Dakota, it's bad financially for the schools.

"I think both of them have a level of responsibility here," Heitkamp said. "They should get in a room and work it out."

The football rivalry is one of the oldest in Division II, beginning in 1894. After missing two years during World War II, the teams have played every year since 1945, with UND holding a 62-45-3 edge in the series.

The teams have met 283 times in men's basketball, which began in the 1904-05 season. The Sioux hold a 156-127 advantage in the series.

"As a fan, I've seen so many great games in basketball and football and I'm disappointed to see it come to this," said Rep. Gil Herbel, R-Grafton. "But I think it's something that needs to be kept within the schools. I would be disappointed if the legislators tired to micromanage that."

Sen. Tim Flakoll, R-Fargo, has been both a member and adviser at NDSU for Blue Key Honor Society, which came up with the idea for the Nickel Trophy that's awarded annually to the football winner. He said he won't be surprised if the rivalry is discussed in the next session.

"Certainly the university has a right to do what's best for their programs, but how does it affect the fans?" Flakoll asked. "I think you need to look at that. The rivalry is something that everyone looks forward to, whether you're 6 years old or 86 years old."

The Bison-Sioux football game brings alumni together all over the country, many of whom gather to watch on satellite TV, Flakoll said.

"You look at some of these remote sites and they pack them in for that game," he said. "There have been so many great memories that it's just disappointing to think we won't have the rivalry anymore.

"My wife went to the other school," Flakoll said, chuckling, "and we both enjoy going to the game. At least one of us went away happy all the time."

Rep. Frank Wald, R-Dickinson, said he doesn't think the Legislature should get involved in sports scheduling. But he believes NDSU is making a mistake because the move to Division I is taking away opportunities for North Dakota athletes who want to play in Division II.

"I was very disappointed and said so when NDSU decided to go Division I," said Wald, a 1959 UND graduate. "That is an ego trip they will regret someday."

I have a feeling that any attempt by the legislature to get involved in college football scheduling may end up in Sports Illustrated in their weekly "This Week's Sign of the Apocalypse" segment. For those unfamiliar with that particular segment of SI, here's an example of a recent one: a Catholic high school in Pennsylvania recently ran an ad for exotic dancers in its girls' basketball program. :)

The real political decisions may come when NDSU goes to the legislature with their hands out looking for money since Chapman was unable to understand the financial report from Carr Associates and obviously did not have the foresight to see that the UND payday might not be there for them. Better get on the horn to Teammakers! :) The revenues from their sports teams are going to take a serious hit the next few seasons.

I have a feeling that any attempt by the legislature to get involved in college football scheduling may end up in Sports Illustrated in their weekly "This Week's Sign of the Apocalypse" segment.  For those unfamiliar with that particular segment of SI, here's an example of a recent one: a Catholic high school in Pennsylvania recently ran an ad for exotic dancers in its girls' basketball program. ???

Thats just all you guys need after that so interesting story SI did on North Dakota in that Sports in America segment they have on Curling. Not that there is anything wrong with curling, but I could have just imagine the collective groan that would have came out of your state's tourism office about it. They could have attoned for past grievances against you by doing a good story about the UND/NDSU rivalry, or maybe something about the UND hockey team perhaps. *At least you guys stood a good chance of getting that kind of story, for Michigan, it was going to be either Michigan-Michigan St. or Michigan-Ohio St.* So, if this legislation does get tagged as the Sign of the Apocalypse, you're hockey team should refuse to grant any interviews to out of state media until SI does one of those swimsuit issue shoots involving your state. Or more exactly, Heidi Klum with nothing but a hockey stick, skates, and a thong at center ice in the REA. :(:)

oh, and just for kicks, here's some more whining about SI and how they treat programs that ain't a bigtime football or basketball program. Snubbed by SI

SI does one of those swimsuit issue shoots involving your state. Or more exactly, Heidi Klum with nothing but a hockey stick, skates, and a thong at center ice in the REA. :(:)

Count me in. ??? I volunteer to take that picture too...does she really need the thong?

The legislature needs to stay out of this...they will agree with the decision, when we are fiscally in the black and are laughing at NDSU...who is in the red.

Not that there is anything wrong with curling, but I could have just imagine the collective groan that would have came out of your state's tourism office

Everyone knows curling is just an excuse to drink while chucking around a big heavy rock on ice...we should have the last laugh because NBC - yes NBC (and not the Nordic Bonehead Co.) will be TELEVISING part of the National Curling Championships from GF last year - WOW - guess losing the NFL has REALLY hit them hard (but at least they can get really drunk while they're here)

I'd bet the issue comes up again, in a big way, when Chaps and the Stream Yellow crowd go back to the legislature begging for money for refurbishing their facilities, covering gaps in revenue due to travel and playing in half empty venues, etc. They've already tried to stiff Fargo taxpayers into building new locker rooms and offices at the FloodDome, so I'd guess they'll try to screw over the entire state at some point, again.

I'd bet the issue comes up again, in a big way, when Chaps and the Stream Yellow crowd go back to the legislature begging for money for refurbishing their facilities, covering gaps in revenue due to travel and playing in half empty venues, etc.  They've already tried to stiff Fargo taxpayers into building new locker rooms and offices at the FloodDome, so I'd guess they'll try to screw over the entire state at some point, again.

Actually the dome keeps insisting on paying because they don't want a "public" facility to have any part of it privately owned.

Government is the anti-christ. I hope they all burn in hell.

Everyone knows curling is just an excuse to drink while chucking around a big heavy rock on ice...we should have the last laugh because NBC - yes NBC (and not the Nordic Bonehead Co.) will be TELEVISING part of the National Curling Championships from GF last year - WOW - guess losing the NFL has REALLY hit them hard (but at least they can get really drunk while they're here)

Last time I checked, we don't need much of an excuse to go drinking. the only thing we need to go drinking is the alcohol!! :)

Yeah, NBC has been hurting from not having NFL. Lot of that has to do with that failed XFL if you guys can reach back into your memory's and remember that.

I live in Bismarck and I don't think there will be any serious effort by anyone in government to force the Sioux/Bison to play. Someone may propose it, but to be blunt about it, most of the people west of the Red River Valley don't give a rip about the Sioux/Bison rivalry.

Even the graduates from each university that live around here are generally apathetic about it. I would bet that the majority of them don't even watch the football game on tv.

The legislature and governor have bigger issues to deal with, such as jobs, the economy, out-migration, methamphetamines, etc.

I live in Bismarck and I don't think there will be any serious effort by anyone in government to force the Sioux/Bison to play.  Someone may propose it, but to be blunt about it, most of the people west of the Red River Valley don't give a rip about the Sioux/Bison rivalry.

Even the graduates from each university that live around here are generally apathetic about it.  I would bet that the majority of them don't even watch the football game on tv.

The legislature and governor have bigger issues to deal with, such as jobs, the economy, out-migration, methamphetamines, etc.

You're definately right that most people west of the RR valley don't care or even have anything to do with NDSU.

The people who are complaining have GOT to be NDSU alumns... I want the rivalry to continue, but why should UND have to damage its strength of schedule for NDSU? Get the NCAA to change the penalties for playing out of your division, especially if you play "up", and quit whining about the fact that you won't be able to lose the Nickel to us anymore, you furry cows... :)

NDSU can kiss off, THEY are the ones who seem to think they should get to a play a team with fewer scholarships, which they will need everyone of to beat our boys...

NBC has the AFL now.

Indoor football, the way football is supposed to be. I could see this league making it big time!

AFL 101 - RULES

THE FIELD

An indoor padded surface 85 feet wide and 50 yards long with eight-yard end zones.

Goal posts are nine feet wide with a crossbar height of 15 feet (NFL goal posts are 18-1/2 feet wide with the crossbar at 10 feet).

The goal-side rebound nets are 30 feet wide by 32 feet high. The bottoms of the nets are eight feet above the ground.

Sideline barriers are 48 inches high and made of high-density foam rubber.

Are you so sure about that man?? Or have you been smoking the funky Astroturf again Igor?:) :0???:(

The people who are complaining have GOT to be NDSU alumns... I want the rivalry to continue, but why should UND have to damage its strength of schedule for NDSU? Get the NCAA to change the penalties for playing out of your division, especially if you play "up", and quit whining about the fact that you won't be able to lose the Nickel to us anymore, you furry cows... :)

NDSU can kiss off, THEY are the ones who seem to think they should get to a play a team with fewer scholarships, which they will need everyone of to beat our boys...

Not this NDSU fan, It would be lose - lose for the Bison. It would look bad if a I-AA NDSU lost to a DII UND. And if NDSU wins, they were suppose to win. The Scholarship thing isn't a big deal, Winona State had about 16 less scholarships than UND and SDSU, and they still played. The NSIC is at about 20 Scholarships, and the NCC is at 36 per school.

Just watched the beginning of Fox local news and they had Rep. Rick Berg and Jim Kasper on. Kasper came off as a pompous a$$ and said the board of education should step in and make UND and NDSU play.... ??? What an idiot, hey Jim where were you when NDSU made this foolish decision?? That would have been the time to have the board of education step in and put a check on Chapman's ego and maybe read the Carr Associates report to him so he could understand it. :) I have always voted Republican in state and local elections but if I lived in Jim's district, I would have a hard time voting for anyone that arrogant and delusional.

AFL 101 - RULES

Are you so sure about that man?? Or have you been smoking the funky Astroturf again Igor?:) ;)???:(

Let's see .... 50 yards long plus two 8 yard long end zones would make it 66 yards long. Three feet in a yard means that it is 198 feet long.

85 feet wide by 198 feet long?

Roughly 200 feet by 85 feet? Isn't that a regulation NHL size ....

Oh my heavens! They are playing indoor football .... in a hockey rink!

Well, I guess the guys afraid of sharp blades and sticks need a little time in the spotlight too. :huh::0

• 2 weeks later...

SCREW the legislature and CRAIG BOWL-HEAD!! The nickel will reside in GF as long as it takes...SORRY!! We won it - you lost it - simple as that!! If you want to see it (NOT steal it) - book your reservations now....I hear the Lucky Inn has a great deal for Bison Fans....REAL COLOR TV and FREE hair on bed...so long SUCKERS!!!!