SiouxSports.com Forum

State of the Sioux

jk

I can't buy the hot goalie comment anymore. Last year I thought it was true (along with all the pipes we hit). This year with our firepower we should be able to score. We HAVE to score. We'll run into a hot goaltender in the NCAA's and our scoring needs to be on. And our goaltending needs to keep pace.

The blocks of corporate seats at REA are one of the problems that there is no major fan participation. I had season tickets in the old Ralph in Section X and that sections was among the most rabid in the building. There was never a need for a cheerleader-- the fans made their own noise. When we moved to the new REA the big corporates grabbed off all of the good lower bowl seats, unless you paid your tribute. Result, I now sit next to fans I don't know, because they are different every game, using the freebies from the boss. They know nothing about the game, come in late every night, need to get a beer every 10 minutes and totally disrupt the game. I'm so damn sick of hearing "who scored or why is that a penalty." I want to stay home and watch on TV. If 6,000 people at the game every week are there just to say they saw a hockey game at REA and they do it with free tickets, guess what - they are never going to be fans. Give me the old arena and 6,000 screaming hardcores and it will be hockey the way it is supposed to be. I really wonder if this is what Ralph envisioned? I don't think so................ :)

I feel you pain, maybe they could devise some sort of test to receive season tickets. In order to get the tickets you would have to pass the test, and if you buy more than one ticket you are held responsible for the newer, less knowledgable fans...I know this would never work, but it would shock the heck out of the corporate guys if they did!

Can you elaborate on this situation. Disagreement with Blaiser over Sievebieda?

Not to any great degree. I was told this by a current Sioux player's parent whose name will remain confidential. He basically told me that Craig Perry was brought in to work with the goalies, primarily Siembeda. When Dean Blais turned on Siembeda, apparently Perry became frustrated because he was not being allowed to do his job and had a disagreement with Coach Blais. As great of a coach that Dean Blais is, he is tough on goalies. I was also told that for whatever reason, he does not have confidence in Jake Brandt. I don't get it, because I think Brandt is clearly the better of the 2 goalies, notwithstanding the bad mistake he made in Wisconsin. This same parent expressed the same sentiment that others have expressed on this board: UND is one of the elite programs in the country and should be able to afford a goalie coach. He used Bill Howard of Wisconsin as an example. Wisconsin always seems to have good goaltenders, and some feel it is not just recruiting.

All the goalie coaching in the world would do s**t if the other guys on the ice don't do their jobs, which is basically controlling the puck and making the other guy's goalies miserable. I think a goalie coach, a GTA, volunteer or whatever is a "must have" at any decent program. (I believe Stauber brought a great deal to Minnesota's program the past few years.) Blais was a forward and the other coaches were d-men, I believe. Goalies are strange animals, and if their confidence is shot, they are finished. Coaching in proper technique is a great start, but it probably helps more if the guy isn't left to fend for himself while his teammates watch the clock or scratch their asses. ???:)

Edit: Then again, maybe if we do have another "goalie problem", maybe we can recruit this guy.

Jsaves.jpg

Oh wait, he's already one of our forwards.

Not to any great degree. I was told this by a current Sioux player's parent whose name will remain confidential. He basically told me that Craig Perry was brought in to work with the goalies, primarily Siembeda. When Dean Blais turned on Siembeda, apparently Perry became frustrated because he was not being allowed to do his job and had a disagreement with Coach Blais. As great of a coach that Dean Blais is, he is tough on goalies. I was also told that for whatever reason, he does not have confidence in Jake Brandt. I don't get it, because I think Brandt is clearly the better of the 2 goalies, notwithstanding the bad mistake he made in Wisconsin. This same parent expressed the same sentiment that others have expressed on this board: UND is one of the elite programs in the country and should be able to afford a goalie coach. He used Bill Howard of Wisconsin as an example. Wisconsin always seems to have good goaltenders, and some feel it is not just recruiting.

I don't think a goalie coach can be paid, unless he is also a full assistant. So it becomes more of an issue of whether or not anyone qualified that Blais trusts is living in the GF area.

I've never understood why Brandt hasn't played more the last two seasons. Based off Blais record, I can only assume there ARE reasons.

Hey there Scott M . . . .

Just a public thanks for the fine hockey art. "Jesus Saves." Classic. Timely. True.

We oughta start a thread for hockey art and photos.

I got one of that young Carolina Hurricanes fan letting Kupchella know what he thinks. No words. Just a symbol . Are those probably going to be banned as well?

Same with signs? Are they gone as well Dr. Ken?

Actually, I agree with most all of the posters on this thread. Although I have a bad habit of swearing myself (what self-respecting native does not?) I also believe that vulgarity is the lazy man's English. Surely we can come up with plenty of things that will both inspire and intimidate at The Ralph.

I have long advocated for the entire crowd belting the National Anthem with the guest singer. Notice how the guy on Saturday invited the "entire Red River Valley" to join him? By God, quite of few folks, maybe 1/4 us, did. By double damned God, you could hear us if you listened. Dimly. You could hear us enought to where the CC team stood frozen at attention for well past the end of the anthem, and even well past the Color Guard retiring. They was mesmerized, but fortunately for them we had Parise in the nets that night. :0

Imagine how cool it would be if 10,000 (granted, there are a number of folks who just plain cain't sing) fans sang our National Anthem! Mass participation. See Kohl Center. Students show the old folks their voices. Old folks show the students their voices. Pretty soon, we'll all be singing, chanting, and cheering together, and Dr. Kencake will get to both have his and eat it too.

Winners all the way around. ;)

National Anthem. Why not start there? 'Specially in these times. We'd probably get national press. In fact, I guarantee it. I just might be a big shooter in the national press. :(

Now someone give me a hand as I get down from the box. ???

NDH

ps. By the way, I think the " . . . . home of the SIOUX!!!" chant at the end of the anthem is demeaning to the brave, and just downright corny and stupid sounding.

Hardly clever either. :)