SiouxSports.com Forum

Steve Hallstrom's opinion

Corella

Ah, so the problem is you don't like hockey and the sports broadcast priorities should cater to you.

If you're near the Twin Cities, you're going to see hockey lead the sports a lot of nights from October to April. Sorry.

PS - The NCAA only made money sponsoring two championship tournaments last year: DI mens basketball, DI mens ice hockey. Somebody's paying to watch hockey.

Because morons like you are paying the extreme prices it takes to support a money guzzling sporst like hockey afloat.

If they come...keep charing them an arm and a leg, i guess.

It's not like it's goign to expand to anywhere outside the north anyway.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are mad that a pro-NDSU comentary was on *FARGO TV* ?!? LOL, talk about infatuation!

If you want pro-UND talk, then stick to the Grand Forks station.

If you want to farmthe farm go to NDSU, if you want to own the farm go to UND!

NDSU.....the Rod Stuart of schools..INFATUATION!

WHOOOOOO!LOLOLOLOOLOLOL!

Because morons like you are paying the extreme prices it takes to support a money guzzling sporst like hockey afloat.

If they come...keep charing them an arm and a leg, i guess.

It's not like it's goign to expand to anywhere outside the north anyway.

Don't be spoutin off too much punk. Your school is desperate to get hockey. And your loser school will be charging those prices for so called "D1" footabll to afford those new scholarships.

I wrote the WDAY sports director an email voicing my displeasure towards the Hallstrom bit on last night's sports. He can be contacted at sanderson@wday.com Here is his response:

Thanks for the note, I enjoy all feed back we get.

Steve

I can't imagine why Hockey would lead any Sports Broadcast. It might be

the only DI program in the state currently but its still a sport that the large majority of people don't give a sh** about and never will. The Hockey fanatic

which I know there are a lot of on this board just can't get it through your skull

that College Hockey appeals to a very small audience on the sports scene and yet you prance around like everyone should care about it and it should have all this

press!

Your an idiot.

PS - The NCAA only made money sponsoring two championship tournaments last year: DI mens basketball, DI mens ice hockey. Somebody's paying to watch hockey.

Do you have a link for that... The latest data I could find was for 2000

"Only five championships were in the

And now this little gem from Jeff Kolpack:

On basketball, UND says because of the differential in scholarships and if a rivalry can’t be fought on equal grounds, cut the cord now. That’s a weenie argument, but it’s true.

Weenie? Nice word, Jeff. Somebody get this guy a thesaurus, and quickly.

I know who the weenie is and he's in Fargo, not Grand Forks.

You can tell how desperate NDSU and Bison fans have become by the tactics they use. They think they can goad UND into playing them by calling us names and using school yard taunts. Very mature.

I know who the weenie is and he's in Fargo, not Grand Forks.

You can tell how desperate NDSU and Bison fans have become by the tactics they use. They think they can goad UND into playing them by calling us names and using school yard taunts. Very mature.

PCM, it's called jealousy. They will never admit it but they are . Like I said earlier NDSU, the Rod Stewart of "AG" schools. INFATUATION!

You've slipped to name-calling now. How nice. The last refuge, eh?

It cost UND $1.8 MM last year to run hockey.

They had 256,591 fans attend home games.

At $7 per ticket they broke even.

They charged more than $7 per ticket because UND fans can afford the luxury and are will to pay it to see the quality product.

Yeah, hockey "guzzles" money.

It's the fuel source powering the rest of the athletic department.

We have a new rivalry with SDSU...it was always better than UND anyway...we just looked in the wrong direction. Shoulda looked south a LONG time ago.

Better in that you may be competitive with them. Face it, NDSU football - for all it's legend - is confined to 2 ten year periods or greatness. Other than that not much. It's much like UCLA basketball. Living on the glory of the past. The all time record against UND isn't even that close and even the Nickel Trophy Era is in favor of the Sioux. SDSU is making the move to DI for basketball, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped football or went non-scholarship in a few years. They were only marginally competitive in the NCC, there is no reason to believe they will suddenly become a powerhouse in IAA. Enjoy your Land Grant School "rivalry".

Yeah, hockey "guzzles" money.

It's the fuel source powering the rest of the athletic department.

Not only at UND either. Minnesota's Men's hockey program makes money too. Then again, that's a "real" D1 school, where only Men's bouncyball and FB make money, the rest lose it.

Better in that you may be competitive with them. Face it, NDSU football - for all it's legend - is confined to 2 ten year periods or greatness. Other than that not much. It's much like UCLA basketball. Living on the glory of the past. The all time record against UND isn't even that close and even the Nickel Trophy Era is in favor of the Sioux. SDSU is making the move to DI for basketball, I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped football or went non-scholarship in a few years. They were only marginally competitive in the NCC, there is no reason to believe they will suddenly become a powerhouse in IAA. Enjoy your Land Grant School "rivalry".

SDSU football being dropped is about as likely as UND hockey being dropped.

Aint gunna happen.

The reason SDSU football IS going to be more competitive in D1 is because they'll ahvethe full 63 scholorships which means they can recruit better kids.

SDSU football being dropped is about as likely as UND hockey being dropped.

Aint gunna happen.

The reason SDSU football IS going to be more competitive in D1 is because they'll ahvethe full 63 scholorships which means they can recruit better kids.

SDSU had more scholarships than the average DII and couldn't compete. They had the advantage and couldn't use it to their own.

So going to a place where more teams have more scholarships is going to make it better?

That's the spin that just doesn't pass the logic test.

Their facility isn't anywhere near the top teams in 1AA. Thier visitors seating is that of a high school field. If their coaches were that good, they would find a way fo scheme things to win a game they aren't supposed to....at least once. It hasn't happened yet.

Who talked facilities or coaches?

SDSU had more scholarships than most of DII, an "unfair fight" if you will, and couldn't win.

Now they are going into a "more fair fight" (more of the competition have the same number of scholarships as them) and they'll do better?

That's like saying "I couldn't win as welterweight against fly-weights so I'll put on 200 pounds, become a light-heavyweight, and I fully expect to beat other light-heavyweights."

That's like saying "I couldn't win as welterweight against fly-weights so I'll put on 200 pounds, become a light-heavyweight, and I fully expect to beat other light-heavyweights."

Seeing as many heavyweights weigh around 200 lbs, how big are these welter and flyweights you are speaking of? :D