SiouxSports.com Forum

Steve Hallstrom's opinion

Corella

I am baffeled that the BCS schools simply don't take the tournament with them by taking all the good schools.

If they formed their own association they would have all the big schools working for them. They could have their own billion dollar tournament, or even a bowl style postseason if they pleased.

The only thing is would they take the good basketball schools who weren't as good at football or didn't have football (Providence for example).

Honestly, now that i think about it, Providense and schools like these would be a perfect fit for this new association. They could cut their athletic departments down to only men's and women's basketball and make good money.

If they would be subject to title ix, then they simply would have to find a couple sports to offset football.

This could be volleyball, soccer, softball, or whatever, so long as the scholorships were the same.

Also, some schools would obviously still want to compete in hockey and wrestling (since they can make money at them). They'll have to have even more sports for women then, so who knows.

That scenario is impossible. If the schools dropped all sports but football and the basketballs, they would get sued by players, parents, coaches, alumni of all the sports that were cut and would lose millions and billions in the lawsuits that the universities would have little chance of winning. Title IX, or title xi as you like to call it, applies to everything, there are no ways around it. Having DI football means a school must also fund 85 women's scholarships, and that only can come about through funding at a minimum of 5-6 sports, not to mention offsetting the men's basketball scholarships. So you see, your scenario is impossible.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually thoguht it was title ix, but for some reason i convinced myself that 9 was xi. Sorry about that.

If the schools dropped all sports but football and the basketballs, they would get sued by players, parents, coaches, alumni of all the sports that were cut and would lose millions and billions in the lawsuits that the universities would have little chance of winning.
Nonsense. For one thing, parents and alumni have no legal say in it whatsoever. For another thing, coaches saleries and player's scholorships are under contracts. As long as the school pays what is due for the length of the contract, they are not in any legal trouble by cutting the sport. If that student wants to play that sport they're going to ahve to transfer. I haven't seen any lawsuits by ex New Haven football people.

Title IX, or title xi as you like to call it, applies to everything, there are no ways around it. Having DI football means a school must also fund 85 women's scholarships, and that only can come about through funding at a minimum of 5-6 sports, not to mention offsetting the men's basketball scholarships. So you see, your scenario is impossible.

OK fair enough. Also, please note that the 85 limitation only applies to NCAA D1A football. This new conference may not have those limitations. Men's basketball is obviously offset by having women's basketball, so that part is taken care of.

As for football...here is a quick, possible breakdown:

Football = 100

Off set this with the 5 most money producing women's sport (i'll just guess this is: vball, soccer, softball, tennis, golf) and give them 20 scholorships each. Title ix compliance complete.

Perfectly possible scenario.

And possibly the new association can lobby to keep itself from having to comply with title ix. This would be the best possible scenario. Then they could simply have football, basketball, and any other sport that made money.

I guarantee that the majority of the money will follow the big basketball school. CBS will not be shelling out money if the big schools are not in the NCAA's tourney.

I question if they'd truly receive more money. Remeber, less games means less advertising and ticket sales. A team like Gonzaga wouldn't even be allowed in and they have become a big time tourney TV draw.

Bisonfan1234

Not only that but i'm dumbfounded how people always say "what about the cinderella teams?"... yes..what about them?

There are cinderella's within the BCS teams too. It doesn't have to be a small school. All you need is a team like Nebraska knocking off Kansas and you get a cinderella.

Nebraska gets a couple of chances a year to knock off Kansas. That's not a cinderella team. A cinderella team is a small school that should have no shot of making a run, but they do deserve to be in the tourney. Plus, if I have to see a below .500 team playing in the big time tourney without winning a conference tourney, I'd be really ticked. It already ticks me off that we see 6 terrible Big 10 teams in it year after year.

Corella,

Title IX does not dictate that a school must provide a one to one scholarship ratio. It depends on the enrollment:

Whether the intercollegiate level participation opportunities for male and female students are provided in numbers substantially proportionate to their respective enrollments.

Corella,

Title IX does not dictate that a school must provide a one to one scholarship ratio. It depends on the enrollment:

This is true and one of the chief reasons why Title IX is such a financial burden on many schools. Take a school like MSU- Moorhead. Last I checked 63% of their students were female. It's very difficult to have a football program and devote much money to other men's sports when the law requires you to invest such a high percentage of your scholarship dollars into women's sports.

Nebraska gets a couple of chances a year to knock off Kansas. That's not a cinderella team. A cinderella team is a small school that should have no shot of making a run, but they do deserve to be in the tourney. Plus, if I have to see a below .500 team playing in the big time tourney without winning a conference tourney, I'd be really ticked. It already ticks me off that we see 6 terrible Big 10 teams in it year after year.

Why does it have to be small? That's just your opinion. Mine is that i want to see the big schools who deserve to be in the tournament compete. It would be just as easy to like a school like Nebraska, who doesn't have the traditional basketball success, come out of the early rounds and knock off a big timer like Kansas.

THAT is a cinderella, my friend. Schools like Gonzaga are just distractions and take away from a tournament when a big school could have got in there and been more competitive.

Why does it have to be small? That's just your opinion. Mine is that i want to see the big schools who deserve to be in the tournament compete. It would be just as easy to like a school like Nebraska, who doesn't have the traditional basketball success, come out of the early rounds and knock off a big timer like Kansas.

THAT is a cinderella, my friend. Schools like Gonzaga are just distractions and take away from a tournament when a big school could have got in there and been more competitive.

This will be my last bit, since this is a fb thread.

Gonzaga is now a bball power and became that way by playing well in the big dance. The problem with just BCS schools is the tourney would have to remain small, otherwise teams that don't deserve to be playing would be (not that it doesn't happen now). I'm not denying that it wouldn't be good. A team like Nebraska would never get in unless they had one hell of a season to begin with i.e beating Kansas (or other powers) in the regular season.

Take this year for example. I'm really excited to see how well Saint Joseph's can match up against the BCS schools (that won't play good small teams due to fear of RPI). Right now they are undefeated. I wouldn't consider them a cinderella team, but itwould be fun to watch them beat some big time programs.

There are very good small conference teams out there, and I don't think it should always be about the big schools. There are some crappy big schools. I think the current NCAA bball tourney has a nice Hoosiers feel to it and brings in a lot of money.

So you never want NDSU (not that it will ever happen anyway) to make the Big Dance because they will just distract you and take away from the tournament when a big school could have gotten in there and been more competitive?

This thread seems to have gotten away from the main topic that Steve Hallstrom and WDAY have their noses so far up NDSU's Bison-hole it's embarrassing!! THEY have a lot to protect with their TV and Radio Contracts. Radio won't be affected as much because they'll still broadcast the games WHEREVER the hell they are but the "UPPER MIDWEST SPORTS LEADER (tv) " will be reduced to maybe televising the SDSU game (yyyaawwnn) and Minnesota HS section basketball while their poorer sister (WDAZ) broadcasts 30+ UND games a year (fb, bb, and hockey) STATEWIDE!!!!!!!!! Hallstroms rant (and frankly the entire DI move) is all about NDSU and FARGO getting their ass kicked by GF and UND on just about every level. They're freaked OUT and ready to do anything to get back on the forefront - and to hell with everyone else!!!

This will be my last bit, since this is a fb thread.

Gonzaga is now a bball power and became that way by playing well in the big dance. The problem with just BCS schools is the tourney would have to remain small, otherwise teams that don't deserve to be playing would be (not that it doesn't happen now). I'm not denying that it wouldn't be good. A team like Nebraska would never get in unless they had one hell of a season to begin with i.e beating Kansas (or other powers) in the regular season.

Take this year for example. I'm really excited to see how well Saint Joseph's can match up against the BCS schools (that won't play good small teams due to fear of RPI). Right now they are undefeated. I wouldn't consider them a cinderella team, but itwould be fun to watch them beat some big time programs.

There are very good small conference teams out there, and I don't think it should always be about the big schools. There are some crappy big schools. I think the current NCAA bball tourney has a nice Hoosiers feel to it and brings in a lot of money.

I'm simply arguing the POV of the big schools.

They want to seperate themselves from the small schools, period. The big schools are the ones that bring the fans, who pay to watch. So the big schools are the ones that earned the money. They want to keep it for themselves instead of sharing with little schools that don't deserve it.

That's their bottem line.

WDAY sports has been nothing more than the sports information department of ndsu for years, ever since wday signed on to carry bison sports on radio and tv. In fact Ed Kolpack, former sports editor of the Fargo Forum, once labeled them as the ndsu/wday bison. They take great pains in burying Sioux hockey coverage till the end of the sports news while KVLY 11 and KXJB 4 will often have Sioux hockey as their lead off story. This is old news and any objective sports news journalism by wday toward the bison is non-existant.

DG

WDAY sports has been nothing more than the sports information department of ndsu for years, ever since wday signed on to carry bison sports on radio and tv. In fact Ed Kolpack, former sports editor of the Fargo Forum, once labeled them as the ndsu/wday bison. They take great pains in burying Sioux hockey coverage till the end of the sports news while KVLY 11 and KXJB 4 will often have Sioux hockey as their lead off story. This is old news and any objective sports news journalism by wday toward the bison is non-existant.

DG

This has to be some sort of joke?

Why WOULDN'T a **FARGO TV STATION** be pro-NDSU?!

I suppose you expect WCCO to start airing specials on the glory of UND hockey?

LOL!

I'll believe it when I see NDSU get the cover of the "sports" section of the Herald over UND, or if Pat Sweeney becomes remotely close to objective.

I wouldn't expect NDSU to make the cover of the Herald, just like I wouldn't expect UND to make the cover of the Forum, unless we win the NCAA's in hockey this year. If NDSU won a national tournament at DI, I would expect it to make the cover of the Herald. Even though most people in Grand Forks (that care) don't like NDSU (and vice versa) I would expect that each city would have enough respect for the other's accomplishment.

Ow, hitting your head hurts :lol:

Too much about nothing. I am a UND grad, I live in Fargo(along with more UND grads than NDSU grads)....I don't waste my time watching WDAY and a lackey like Hallstrom(he is just a mouthpiece for NDSU and I am fine with that...other journalists choose to be objective and actually care if they are taken seriously, he doesn't, that is his(or WDAY/NDSU's choice) move on.

KVLY has a vested interest in UND, as KFGO has the broadcast rights for UND. There goes the unbiased theory :lol: . Is there a CBS affiliate in Grand Forks, or is it KXJB out of Fargo? KXJB shares resources with KVLY, so they also have a vested interest in UND. KVLY is the biggest two-faced,fence-straddling media I have seen. They're too cheap to have a studio in GF, so they try to be the Red River valley news. FOX news would be the closest thing to an objective news program in Fargo.

You are a complete idiot. Again, nobody cares about NDSU.

I was hoping you weren't going to say "Dan Hammer." Hammer left KVLY-TV and is no longer associated with them and now works for Clear Channel ND.

The only time I hear KVLY people on KFGO are for a "what's on KVLY-TV news tonight" spot (or the same for sports). I'm not sure if those are "comps" or paid ads. Otherwise, KFGO news/weather/sports is KFGO people.

Sicatoka,

They might be owned by two different companies, but there seems to be a synergistic relationship amongst KVLY, KXJB, and KFGO. KVLY news people are on KFGO for the newsbriefs, weather, and sports. Maybe it's just an alliance. :lol:

The recent cooperation between KVLY and KXJB is something that makes me as a sport's fan upset. It seems to be brought on by "Loder" taking over at KXJB, and also Peters having worked at KXJB. Seems lazy to me on their part. They air the exact same local game highlights on both stations, that seems to defeat the purpose. It makes the job easier for them though, but I have to doubt that the area viewers are too happy with that. That won't get viewers switched over from one station to the other on the ratings end of it, other then convenience and payroll I don't see any benefits from it.