SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Winter Classic - Blackhawks vs Capitals

MafiaMan

You're not very bright, but opionionated Ice conditions are great. A star will not get injuryed, in addition, a star could get injured in a normal game too. Take your risk for the reward.

Also outdoor games generate buzz for the NHL. They've done a great job. It gets better every year.

It's called marketing. What would you do to differentiate the NHL from the rest of sports? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Totally get what you're saying about marketing the game, but, unfortunately, it pretty much only means those of you in Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Washington DC.  Everyone else?  Get in line.  And if you live in Canada, the NHL apparently doesn't care.   

$$$ for the NHL & exposure to the people that won't be watching the myriad of college football games.

The Hawks are money that's why they've been in 3 games hosting 2. The players all say they love the outdoor game & I bet no one would sit because of ice conditions & fear of getting hurt.

Go Hawks!!! (From a lifelong Hawks fan)

$$$ for the NHL & exposure to the people that won't be watching the myriad of college football games.

The Hawks are money that's why they've been in 3 games hosting 2. The players all say they love the outdoor game & I bet no one would sit because of ice conditions & fear of getting hurt.

Go Hawks!!! (From a lifelong Hawks fan)

That's assuming most casual fans want to watch Chicago on New Year's Day almost every year...I don't like the exclusion of Canadian teams and hate seeing this event limited to the Detroits, Chicagos, Pittsburghs, and Washington DCs of the NHL.

Totally get what you're saying about marketing the game, but, unfortunately, it pretty much only means those of you in Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Washington DC. Everyone else? Get in line. And if you live in Canada, the NHL apparently doesn't care.

Sorry, everyone outside the state of MN does not want to see the MN Wild play. Think God the commissioner didn't cave in.

Look how bad the Wild have been lately. That would have been a nightmare.

You might not be from MN, but MN as a whole needs to get their ego's in check. Such arrogant and naive people in that state. Outside of MN, people mock their professional sports teams and medocrity as they should.

To your credit, you might not be a Wild fan, but I needed to vent.

Sorry, everyone outside the state of MN does not want to see the MN Wild play. Thank God the commissioner didn't cave in.

Look how bad the Wild have been lately. That would have been a nightmare.

You might not be from MN, but MN as a whole needs to get their egos in check. Such arrogant and naive people in that state.

I'm not a Wild fan at all...in fact, I'm a Red Wings fan. The NHL ripped this idea off from the original Heritage Classic game between Montreal and Edmonton and has now made a circus out of it. Toronto was the 1st Canadian team to play one of these games and they had to absolutely beg to be chosen as a participant. Now it's morphed into Stadium Series games to appease others who want to do this. In 2011, Calgary hosted Montreal in a second Heritage Classic game and the NHL couldn't be bothered to try to hype it. The 2014 Heritage Classic had Vancouver hosting Ottawa...did you hear anything in the media at all about it? Nope.

I'm not a Wild fan at all...in fact, I'm a Red Wings fan. The NHL ripped this idea off from the original Heritage Classic game between Montreal and Edmonton and has now made a circus out of it. Toronto was the 1st Canadian team to play one of these games and they had to absolutely beg to be chosen as a participant. Now it's morphed into Stadium Series games to appease others who want to do this. In 2011, Calgary hosted Montreal in a second Heritage Classic game and the NHL couldn't be bothered to try to hype it. The 2014 Heritage Classic had Vancouver hosting Ottawa...did you hear anything in the media at all about it? Nope.

Toronto is the only Canadian team that deserved one based on fan base, tradition and rivalry with wings.

Montreal has a nice squad currently but isn't going to draw a large enough audience stateside. It's that simple as to why Canadian teams aren't in this event.

Let alone you have the World Juniors currently going on regarding Canadian interest.

I trust the smart marketing people at the NHL. They're not stupid.

http://www.si.com/nhl/home-ice/2011/02/02/nhls-curbed-enthusiasm-for-heritage-classic

Article on the NHL essentially ignoring the 2011 Heritage Classic game...while we're bombarded with Winter Classic hype year after year...

What's your point? Winter classic is a bigger event based on the branding and marketing.

Your average joe doesn't know about the Hertiage Classic. You can't convulude things for your average hockey fan and confuse or complicate it.

Canadian fans must all be watching the World Jr. tourney & don't bother to watch the NHL.

Must be the reason why most US teams play in the Winter Classic.

Aren't Montreal & Edmonton NHL teams?

Hawks president & marketing genius saw the $ potential of the first Heritage Classic & promoted the Hawks for the Winter Classic.

One of these years the Hawks might win one.

I'll admit it - I enjoy the Winter Classic. One year, I'll attend one. Getting 40 to 80 thousand people together for a hockey game? Sounds like a good time to me!

I think they need to stop using the baseball stadiums though - football stadiums offer a much better view from the stands than being way out in the outfield.

What's your point? Winter classic is a bigger event based on the branding and marketing.

Your average joe doesn't know about the Hertiage Classic. You can't convulude things for your average hockey fan and confuse or complicate it.

We can't confuse hockey fans by having Calgary, Montreal, or Vancouver in one of these games?

Love the Winter Classic.  Hating the teams.  So little hype for the game this year.  NHL blew it putting the 24/7 program on EPIX (DirecTV doesn't even get it) and of course same old teams.  The game is enough of a spectacle that they don't need to have only big market teams.  Would like to see Canadian team, but that's a TSN deal of having Heritage Classic.  I am liking idea of holding it in Europe.  Think it would be great way to give back to all European players.

BTW in 7 games only 9 different teams have played.  

He likes to watch paint dry. :) 

Love the Winter Classic. Hating the teams. So little hype for the game this year. NHL blew it putting the 24/7 program on EPIX (DirecTV doesn't even get it) and of course same old teams. The game is enough of a spectacle that they don't need to have only big market teams. I am liking idea of holding it in Europe. Think it would be great way to give back to all European players.

Can you imagine the buzz this game would generate if it were held in Stockholm, Prague, Berlin, or Moscow? I like your idea.

Can you imagine the buzz this game would generate if it were held in Stockholm, Prague, Berlin, or Moscow? I like your idea.

Maybe the Canadians will think it's the Major Jr. tourney & watch the game.

I can see a lot of of US advertising $ going into that game.

Maybe the Canadians will think it's the Major Jr. tourney & watch the game.

I can see a lot of of US advertising $ going into that game.

Are you at all familiar with TV ratings in Canada during events like the Olympics and the Stanley Cup Finals? Put a Canadian team in this kind of event and it'll turn into gold up there. Check out the numbers for 2014's Maple Leafs/Red Wings game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/winter-classic-makes-canadian-tv-ratings-history-8-210623604--nhl.html

BTW in 7 games only 9 different teams have played.  

^^ This is really the only issue I have with the game, outside of the poor viewing in the baseball stadiums.  Otherwise, I think it's fun for fans in attendance and for the players, plus it's something different.  Then again, I really enjoyed the skills competition as part of the all star weekend.

I'll admit it - I enjoy the Winter Classic. One year, I'll attend one. Getting 40 to 80 thousand people together for a hockey game? Sounds like a good time to me!

I think they need to stop using the baseball stadiums though - football stadiums offer a much better view from the stands than being way out in the outfield.

Not sure why they are putting these in baseball stadiums.  Maybe because they are newer than the football stadium in town?  I think for stadiums like Wrigley and Fenway, it makes sense. But otherwise, football stadiums provide much better sight lines.  If and When Minnesota gets an outdoor game, I hope they do it at TCF. 

Not sure why they are putting these in baseball stadiums.  Maybe because they are newer than the football stadium in town?  I think for stadiums like Wrigley and Fenway, it makes sense. But otherwise, football stadiums provide much better sight lines.  If and When Minnesota gets an outdoor game, I hope they do it at TCF.

I hope they do it on big winny