SiouxSports.com Forum

WORLD JUNIORS - Toronto/Montreal - DEC 25/JAN 5

AZSIOUX

I read an article that pegged Sweden as the favorite...no upsets yet that I have seen. Sweden defeated the Czechs 5-2 yesterday and Russia defeated Denmark 3-2 in a shoot-out. Denmark blew a 2-0 lead in that one.

Pretty sure canada is the heavy heavy favorite. 11/10 odds last I read.

Pretty sure canada is the heavy heavy favorite. 11/10 odds last I read.

Don't count out Finland (a tough, physical team like always) or the United States (solid from top to bottom).  Russia looks down (not shedding any tears over that) and I think everyone else lacks the overall depth to contend for a medal.

Does anyone know how countries qualify for the World Juniors? Every year, we see the usual countries-Sweden, US, Canada, etc. but then we see random teams like Belarus, Denmark, Jamaica, etc.

The bottom two teams from the World Juniors (Top Division) play a relegation round the loser is replaced by the winner of the Division 1A tournament, so next year Belarus will be in the 2016 World Juniors.

The bottom two teams from the World Juniors (Top Division) play a relegation round the loser is replaced by the winner of the Division 1A tournament, so next year Belarus will be in the 2016 World Juniors.

Denmark is new for this tournament...who did they replace from last year? Was it Norway?

Does anyone know how countries qualify for the World Juniors? Every year, we see the usual countries-Sweden, US, Canada, etc. but then we see random teams like Belarus, Denmark, Jamaica, etc.

Believe it or not, this tournament goes all the way down to a Division III which includes the countries of Turkey, New Zealand, South Africa, and Mexico.

Believe it or not, this tournament goes all the way down to a Division III which includes the countries of Turkey, New Zealand, South Africa, and Mexico.

So every nation in the world that has a hockey program gets a crack at qualifying for this tournament?  I guess you can't call it the IIHF if you don't include the whole world at some level.

Division IA of this tournament was held in Italy from Dec 14th-20th. Belarus finished at the top and will play in next year's "big boys" tournament (as has already been mentioned). The two teams from the top division who don't advance to the medal round will play each other in an elimination game. The winner will stay in the top division in 2016 while the loser will be sent down to Division IA.

So every nation in the world that has a hockey program gets a crack at qualifying for this tournament? I guess you can't call it the IIHF if you don't include the whole world at some level.

Well, no, you need to work your way up to the tournament by winning the lower levels and advancing to Division IA (and then obviously WIN IA). Mexico, for example, couldn't jump all the way from Division III to the top division in one year.

There's six divisions:

Top Division:

Canada                          

United States

Finland

Slovakia

Germany

Sweden

Russia

Switzerland

Czech Republic 

Denmark

Division 1A:

Belarus*

Norway

Latvia

Italy

Austria

Slovenia^

Division 1B:

Kazakhstan*

Ukraine

Poland

France

Japan

Hungary^

Division 2A:

Great Britain*

Lithuania

South Korea

Netherlands

Estonia

Romania^

Division 2B:

Croatia*

Spain

Australia

Belgium

Serbia

Iceland^

Division 3:

China

Mexico

New Zealand

South Africa

Turkey

* moves up a division

^ relegated for 2016

Very interesting, I would note that the teams in Division 3 probably have more people that every other division combined. I suspect we see China and Turkey in higher divisions before too long.

There's six divisions:

Top Division:

Canada                          

United States

Finland

Slovakia

Germany

Sweden

Russia

Switzerland

Czech Republic 

Denmark

Division 1A:

Belarus*

Norway

Latvia

Italy

Austria

Slovenia^

Division 1B:

Kazakhstan*

Ukraine

Poland

France

Japan

Hungary^

Division 2A:

Great Britain*

Lithuania

South Korea

Netherlands

Estonia

Romania^

Division 2B:

Croatia*

Spain

Australia

Belgium

Serbia

Iceland^

Division 3:

China

Mexico

New Zealand

South Africa

Turkey

* moves up a division

^ relegated for 2016

The performance by Germany v. Canada tonight surprised me. I expected the Canadians to repeat Friday night.

You shouldn't have been surprised as Germany is a true 19 year old team and half their team are already playing men's hockey in various leagues.  Therefore they don't make as many junior mistakes and they can play really physical so any team that plays them has to feel fortunate if they escape their game without injuries. 

You shouldn't have been surprised as Germany is a true 19 year old team and half their team are already playing men's hockey in various leagues. Therefore they don't make as many junior mistakes and they can play really physical so any team that plays them has to feel fortunate if they escape their game without injuries.

According to the TSN studio analysts, Germany was (and is) far and away the worst team in the tournament. They were expecting a score of 9 or 10 to 0. It was essentially a 2-0 game - the 4-0 final isn't a true indication of how well Germany played.