SiouxSports.com Forum

The Only Time I Will Root For NDSU

IrishSiouxFan

What was Michigan ranked?

Thought it was No. 1, but it was 5.

"The 2007 Appalachian State vs. Michigan football game was a regular season college football game between the Appalachian State Mountaineers and Michigan Wolverines. It was held at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor on September 1, 2007, and was the first game of the season for both teams. The Wolverines entered the game ranked No. 5 in both major Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) polls and media outlets considered them to be preseason favorites to win the Big Ten conference championship as well as possible contenders for the national championship, while the Mountaineers were ranked No. 1 in The Sports Network's Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) poll and were preseason favorites to win their third consecutive FCS national championship."

Maybe they should have the FBS champ meet the FCS champ in an OOC neutral field game the following year. FSU vs NDSU from say Cowboys Stadium.

That would be fun, but will never happen--and the chance of us winning are about the same as a snowball's chance in hell of not melting.

If the playoff model holds for FBS, (read: makes them a lot of money)  there may little incentive for those powerhouse teams to schedule FCS schools in the future.  if you lose or nearly lose to a good team early on and have a great season, they playoff gods may look more favorably on you than if you pasted Florida Atlantic by 50 points or so.  Some talking heads were discussing the Wisco-LSU matchup and comparing that one to the Oregon and Nebraska games. 

Honest opinion:

Anyone in the FBS poll in the teens or below (say 13-25) would be in deep trouble against NDSU.

Deep trouble as in they'd have to try?  I agree with that, but as long as they come ready to play they would certainly beat ndsu.  Now getting those "pre-madonnas"  ;) ready to play against an FCS team may be another story.

Deep trouble as in they'd have to try?  I agree with that, but as long as they come ready to play they would certainly beat ndsu.  Now getting those "pre-madonnas"  ;) ready to play against an FCS team may be another story.

Good grief, this may be the dumbest statement I have heard in some time.  Sicatoka hit is on the head and is completely right; note the cut point he stated.  NDSU WAS Top 25 last year.  No, not in FCS, the entire country.  Check out the very objective Sagarin rankings.  Don't believe that?  Oh, NDSU nearly cracked the subjective AP top 25.  NDSU is already getting AP votes again!

I know it is hard for you to accept that NDSU football popularity dwarfs the following and popularity of your favorite niche sport, but lets at least be realistic like Sicatoka.

Good grief, this may be the dumbest statement I have heard in some time.  Sicatoka hit is on the head and is completely right; note the cut point he stated.  NDSU WAS Top 25 last year.  No, not in FCS, the entire country.  Check out the very objective Sagarin rankings.  Don't believe that?  Oh, NDSU nearly cracked the subjective AP top 25.  NDSU is already getting AP votes again!

I know it is hard for you to accept that NDSU football popularity dwarfs the following and popularity of your favorite niche sport, but lets at least be realistic like Sicatoka.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe NDSU received any votes in the AP Top 25 until the last week of the season?  There are writers who always give the FCS champion a vote in the final AP poll, its been done many times in the past.  

• Upvote 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe NDSU received any votes in the AP Top 25 until the last week of the season?  There are writers who always give the FCS champion a vote in the final AP poll, its been done many times in the past.  

Nuh uh, ndsu is the first one EVER.  Don't even try to discredit the great moo u.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe NDSU received any votes in the AP Top 25 until the last week of the season? There are writers who always give the FCS champion a vote in the final AP poll, its been done many times in the past.

You are correct that there is a sportswriter that typically gives the FCS champ a vote in the final poll. However, you are wrong that this is the only time NDSU has received votes in the AP. We started receiving a vote last year in week 14(Nov 24) and continued receiving votes through the final poll(Jan 7). That was four polls with a high of 17 points(29th place) in the final poll. Those 17 points put us ahead of Texas Tech, Iowa, Georgia, Ole Miss, Kansas St, Arizona, Navy, Utah St, East Carolina & Miss St. Furthermore, NDSU also received votes(2pts) in this week's AP poll. Don't know if that will last, but the only other time I'm sure an FCS team received AP votes in the middle of a season was App St after the Mich. win.

I will be the first to say that 17 points was far from "cracking" the top-25. The 25th team in the final 2013 poll received 109 points(Wash).

Very possible, if not probable, especially is Alabama didn't overlook us--and I don't think they would given our performances against FBS teams.

Recall what App State did to then No. 1 Michigan tho?!

AGS!!

And what did an unranked 2014 Michigan team do against FBS newbie Appalachian State last weekend?

The 2007 Michigan team was pounded by Oregon at home the very next weekend, then won eight games in a row before losing to Wisconsin and Ohio State to finish at 8-4 on the season. They were expected to lose to Florida in the Capital One Bowl but defeated the Gators 41-35.

That 2007 Appalachian State team was no slouch.