SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruit list released

joelbird

We got who we wanted out of ND, the athletes with the biggest potential to suceed at D1. The other leftovers who were good in high school but don't have the potential, UND got them.

:p

Don't have the potential? What a joke. You forget how little difference there is between D-II, and DI-AA. (not D-I)

You beat Montana, remember? :huh:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caufield and Trenbreath are probably better than Belquist at WR, but it's hard to compare. I would guess that NDSU recruited Yilek, since he definitely sounds like a stud. The main thing I was disappointed about in SU's class was the lack of O-linemen. It didn't really seem like an emphasis for Bohl this year, though, so maybe it was by design.

Caufield and Trenbreath are probably better than Belquist at WR, but it's hard to compare.  I would guess that NDSU recruited Yilek, since he definitely sounds like a stud.  The main thing I was disappointed about in SU's class was the lack of O-linemen.  It didn't really seem like an emphasis for Bohl this year, though, so maybe it was by design.

Your objectivity is refreshing. Regarding offensive linemen, it's interesting how different programs recruit that position differently. For example, UND typically signs 3 to 5 every year. Other programs prefer to load up with several every few years, but not sign anybody on the opposite years. Minnesota, for example, didn't sign any this year, although that wasn't necessarily by choice since they lost Murtha at the last minute.

Caufield and Trenbreath are probably better than Belquist at WR, ....

No, no, no!

Get with the program "NDSU grad."

Ol' "1234" says those two (a AAA and the AA player of the year) are "leftovers" compared to a guy who played, what was it, A or 9-man.

Get with the program and keep with the same spin. :p:huh:

Yeah, I was wondering about the, "We got everybody we wanted in North Dakota" line myself. If he had said, "We got everybody we needed in North Dakota," I'd have a lot easier time with that.

NDSU was definitely after Dressler, definitely talking to Caufield, and had to be interested in TrenBeath.

OTOH, Kupchella (among many, many others) said schools like NDSU shouldn't go DI because North Dakota doesn't produce enough DI athletes. Here it is the very next year and apparently there were not one, not two, but SEVEN DI-caliber football players in North Dakota. What the heck happened?

And UND, despite being DII, was recruiting WI, Canada, and Colorado (that we know of).

All kidding aside, UND had a very good recruiting class this year.

Yeah, I was wondering about the, "We got everybody we wanted in North Dakota" line myself. If he had said, "We got everybody we needed in North Dakota," I'd have a lot easier time with that.

NDSU was definitely after Dressler, definitely talking to Caufield, and had to be interested in TrenBeath.

OTOH, Kupchella (among many, many others) said schools like NDSU shouldn't go DI because North Dakota doesn't produce enough DI athletes. Here it is the very next year and apparently there were not one, not two, but SEVEN DI-caliber football players in North Dakota. What the heck happened?

And UND, despite being DII, was recruiting WI, Canada, and Colorado (that we know of).

UND had a very good recruiting class this year.

I must say that you also showed some objectivity here, tony. Regarding recruiting North Dakotans, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I've always felt that the top few North Dakotans most years could easily play I-AA. But historically, either I-AA schools didn't bother recruiting here, or else most local kids simply preferred to play for UND or NDSU. I think the fact that there hasn't been a ND kid who has played I-AA for as far back as I can remember (until this year with NDSU)--but several have played for I-A schools--supports this theory.

Regarding Kupchella, he definitely doesn't speak for many UND grads on a number of issues, but that's a whole other story.

We got who we wanted out of ND, the athletes with the biggest potential to suceed at D1. The other leftovers who were good in high school but don't have the potential, UND got them.

As far as comparing Dressler to Roehl, just shows how foolish you are. Roehl was FB who got the ball every now and then (wasn't even the main back in a shotgun spread offense). Bismark on the other hand handed the ball to Dressler everytime and prayed he didn't get hurt. Yeah, great comparison.

As for the rest, i was thinking of the MN recruits mainly. NDSU got 3 Big Ten caliber recruits. UND got some kids no one's ever heard of from low classes, Manke from DL (he lead that team to the prep bowl just like his 2 brothers....oh wait...they lost at home in the 1st round), some kid no one's heard from in Hopkins (which is a lowly program), and Yilik who is definately the best recruit UND got this year, easily. He would have got a full ride from the U (that's Minnesota) if they weren't obessed with recruiting 2nd rate players from Ohio.

you are simply juvenile, ignorant, and unintelligent. i'll leave it at that. :huh:

OTOH, Kupchella (among many, many others) said schools like NDSU shouldn't go DI because North Dakota doesn't produce enough DI athletes.

When did Kupchella say this? I don't know for a fact that he didn't, but I have no recollection that he did. Can you cite a source?

When did Kupchella say this? I don't know for a fact that he didn't, but I have no recollection that he did. Can you cite a source?

I had thought that perhaps something to that effect was in Kupchella's letter regarding division I as it pertains to UND, but upon further review, there was no mention of it.

Actually, I think it was a Grand Forks Herald or Dakota Student article I was thinking of, not the position paper K put together in response to NDSU's start to looking at DI. Does the Dakota Student have a searchable archive? It's been a while since I read it but both Thomas and Kupchella were quoted. Perhaps Thomas was the guy who said it. I'm not trying to slander the Kupchella or anything or put words in his mouth. I'm going after the argument, not people.

I think we'd all admit the fear of North Dakota athletes not getting a chance to play at a DI school was a major point against NDSU going DI - even for people in favor of the move.

I've always thought the reason most top athletes in ND don't go DI is that it's not cost effective to recruit in North Dakota.

Edit: I found the article: Link

It was Roger Thomas who said it. Sorry.

The caliber of HS play in various sports in ND isn't the same caliber as in the rest of the country. The caliber of ND HS basketball and football isn't nearly what it is in other places. ND HS hockey is closer (a little) to the rest of the nation than those two sports; still, it's not what it is elsewhere, but ND is able to produce more DI players in that area.

I'm not looking to start a war here. I'm just asking.

Not counting NDSU (to eliminate the "automatic" transition of a bunch), how many ND athletes are currently playing in DI basketball, football, and hockey?

I can start a hockey list easily:

At UND: 6 (Bina, Fuher, Fylling, Massen, Schneider, Ziegelmann)

At Minnesota: 3 (G Potulny, R Potulny, Irmen)

At SCSU: 1

At Michigan St: 1 (?)

At Bemidji St: 1 (Sedevie)

Help?

Football? The center at Minnesota and Terry at Iowa State.

Basketball? You got me.

Bison Kent: I suspect your answer will sift out of these lists.

The caliber of HS play in various sports in ND isn't the same caliber as in the rest of the country. The caliber of ND HS basketball and football isn't nearly what it is in other places. ND HS hockey is closer (a little) to the rest of the nation than those two sports; still, it's not what it is elsewhere, but ND is able to produce more DI players in that area.

I'm not looking to start a war here. I'm just asking.

Not counting NDSU (to eliminate the "automatic" transition of a bunch), how many ND athletes are currently playing in DI basketball, football, and hockey?

I can start a hockey list easily:

At UND: 6 (Bina, Fuher, Fylling, Massen, Schneider, Ziegelmann)

At Minnesota: 3 (G Potulny, R Potulny, Irmen)

At SCSU: 1

At Michigan St: 1 (?)

Help?

Football? The center at Minnesota and Terry at Iowa State.

Basketball? You got me.

Bison Kent: I suspect your answer will sift out of these lists.

According to INCH INCH States there is 20 D1 hockey players from ND. From the top of my head Cory McLean (Fargo North) is at Notre Dame, two kids from Minot (Grubb and Kres....?) are at Wayne St, Ben McLean (Fargo South) is at Army.

I can't think of any football players. Basketball - brothers from Shanley (Jacobson?) are both D1 one at Utah, Koenig (Fargo North) is at Green Bay. I hate basketball and don't really follow football, so I'm not the best source, just adding what I know from the top of my head.

I think a lot of North Dakota athletes will choose NDSU or UND over a Division I team a thousand miles away. Next years Bison team will considerably increase the number of ND athletes on Divison I teams. Four on the Men's basketball team and at least seven on the Women's team, and over 30 on the football team. Currently there are probably less than ten total in Divison I football and basketball.

Godfred on Northern Iowa basketball is another for your list.

Lance Sannes, Dan Kwapinski, Greg Eslinger Minnesota Gophers Football

No, no, no!

Get with the program "NDSU grad."

Ol' "1234" says those two (a AAA and the AA player of the year) are "leftovers" compared to a guy who played, what was it, A or 9-man.

Get with the program and keep with the same spin. :p:huh:

Like i said, i was thinking of MN players only when i said this, i guess it doesn't apply as well to other states.

Also, the ND AAA POY was Roehl. The POY goes to the best player on the state champion team. That being West Fargo, Roehl was the obvious pick, and NDSU got him.

Next years Bison team will considerably increase the number of ND athletes on Divison I teams.

Yes, that is true. That's why I wanted a "today" snapshot. :huh:

The question that started this, however, is about the caliber of athletes ND HS athletics puts out. Relating to "next year," the question becomes are they Division I caliber athletes or playing for a Division I team? Were they recruited by multiple Division I programs or just one? (I know we can't answer that for most.)

The number of ND HS athletes playing Division II jumped considerably when the NSIC went DII. That doesn't say the caliber of the ND HS athlete went up.

The POY goes to the best player on the state champion team.

Does that mean if Bismarck High had won, Dressler (going to UND) would have won AAA POTY? :p

Oh pity, UND will struggle by with "leftovers" .... like the ND AAA POTY runner-up and the ND AA POTY. Oh woe is Dale Lennon. :huh:

I gotta agree with Sicatoka on that on.

My thought on this years NDSU class is that they are a solid recruiting class, but nothing that really makes you say WOW, like last years class did. However, there is the potential to be a fantastic class. Just one of those things where it is much easier to judge in hind sight.

My thought on this years NDSU class is that they are a solid recruiting class, ....

As long as were agreeing on things here, I'll admit I would have liked to see Rohle or the Fargo South TE (like I'm going to try to spell that :huh: ) play collegiate home games in The Alerus Center. They'll be the backbone of this NDSU class on offense.

Does that mean if Bismarck High had won, Dressler (going to UND) would have won AAA POTY? :p

Oh pity, UND will struggle by with "leftovers" .... like the ND AAA POTY runner-up and the ND AA POTY. Oh woe is Dale Lennon. :huh:

Dressler was the Gatorade ND state POY, which awards one award to the best player in every state.

I think part of the reason ND produces more D1 hockey players than BB or FB is that a HS hockey player has a much better chance of playing in college than a HS FB or BB player. (see NCAA chart)... also factor in college hockey about half of the NCAA schools are D1 while in other sports about 1/3 are D1. Also... a limited number of states sponsor HS hockey .... and finally there are much more local D1 hockey schools (UND, UM, UMD SCSU, Bemidji etc..) than there are nearby D1 institions (UM is about it... for now :huh: ). and also from what I hear ND also has some pretty good HS hockey players.

my 2 cents

Professional Career Probability (estimated).

Level MBB WBB FB Baseball Men

From the Feb. 28, 2002, Dakota Student:

Thomas also said that if UND wished to be a powerhouse at the DI level, it would likely lead to fewer athletes from North Dakota and Minnesota competing.

I'd like to know what's so wrong about this statement. It seems like common sense to me.

If you can win at the D-IAA level with the same athletes you're currently recruiting, what's the point of moving up?