SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruit list released

joelbird

You guys can't be serious....obviously those newspapers go the misinformation from the USD guys.

Hey guess what? People make mistakes. On our own roster it says a freshman ran a 10.2 100m dash! Obviously this is a mistake, but there it is! Any newspaper reporter (esp one who doesn't know much about football) could simply use the athletic web page as a citation and print it right off there. The forum basically did it with our list.

How about this at the least: it doesn't make logical sense.

They only have 36 scholorships. That would mean even if they gave everyone 1/4th rides (so basically only paying for food or something like that) they would still be handing out 9 full equivalences. That leaves 27 left and they must have 80 or so guys at least on their roster.

I hope you're not trying to say that everyone at USD gets 1/4 ride and nothing else.

No...i won't believe that. This is just a mistake, nothing more.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys can't be serious....obviously those newspapers go the misinformation from the USD guys.

Hey guess what? People make mistakes. On our own roster it says a freshman ran a 10.2 100m dash! Obviously this is a mistake, but there it is! Any newspaper reporter (esp one who doesn't know much about football) could simply use the athletic web page as a citation and print it right off there. The forum basically did it with our list.

They only have 36 scholorships. That would mean even if they gave everyone 1/4th rides (so basically only paying for food or something like that) they would still be handing out 9 full equivalences. That leaves 27 left and they must have 80 or so guys at least on their roster.

I hope you're not trying to say that everyone at USD gets 1/4 ride and nothing else.

It ceases to amaze me how your posts get increasingly dumber. It is a university release with 36 names on it. Walk-ons were not announced at a single university in the US, walk-ons don't appear on lists of recruitis signing LOI's on national signing day, obviously some of the recruits were given sums like $200, but all were signed and given some sort of financial aid.

Obviously this can be taken with a grain of salt, but I checked out recruiting "guru" Tom Lemming's master list of college prospects on the ESPN site, and five UND signees were listed: Freund, Moe, Nicholas, Otto and Troen. Needless to say, where a kid is from plays a big role in these types of lists as I don't believe North Dakotans, for example, are ever listed. Also, it would seem players like Manke and Yilek, for example, should have been on there as well. But again, you have to take these lists for what they're worth. I mostly found it interesting that a kid from a relatively small town in northern Minnesota (Moe) would have found his way onto the list.

Bison1234,

are you JBB's son? if not, then you must have some sort of distant relation. you two share a brain and amaze me with some of your stupidity. ;)

as much as i dislike NDSU..i gotta say..how fun would it be if we all sat here in agreement about our recruiting class...you guys are dumb to sit here and bicker about stats in school...and HAD someone gone to a bigger school.and what not... do you guys think..from either school..that your respective starters for your teams would be taht much better if they played for a top D1 team?? of course not! they did not have the ability to go play for these teams..and so they would see no playing time...

my 3 cents

as much as i dislike NDSU..i gotta say..how fun would it be if we all sat here in agreement about our recruiting class...you guys are dumb to sit here and bicker about stats in school...and HAD someone gone to a bigger school.and what not... do you guys think..from either school..that your respective starters for your teams would be taht much better if they played for a top D1 team?? of course not! they did not have the ability to go play for these teams..and so they would see no playing time...

my 3 cents

thanks Dons,

you are right and we are dumb. just remember who started this insane conversation about bigger school players, etc.(bison1234).........thanks for sharing your infinite wisdom and your "3 cents" worth though.

thats my four cents. 5 anyone?

Actually, everybody was at least partially correct USD's signing class.

The USD site says "Thirty-six student-athletes have signed institutional letters of intent to enroll at The University of South Dakota and join the Coyote football program beginning in the fall of 2004, according to an announcement Wednesday by South Dakota head football coach Ed Meierkort."

I didn't even know there was such a thing as an "institutional letter of intent" until today (thanks d2football.com). Unlike an NLI, you don't have to receive aid to sign it but it's also non-binding, at least according to the person posting on D2football.com.

... an "institutional letter of intent" ...

That is a new one to me as well. I'd only been familiar with the "National Letter of Intent."

That "institutional letter" must be some kind of loophole in the NCAA rules so the school can use the student-athlete's name in a press release before they are on campus on a full time basis.

Years ago, there was a Conference Letter of Intent as well as the National Letter. The CLI could be signed prior to the national signing date. It was not binding in that the athlete had to go to that school, but if they signed it, they could not sign a NLI with another school in that conference. I would guess guess the CLI is no longer used - haven't heard about it in a long time.

I had not heard of Institutional Letters until now but it makes sense. In March or April each year, you will see schools like Moorhead or Crookston announce 30+ signees. They certainly are not providing scholarship assistance to that many athletes.

Has anyone heard anything about the Jordan kid out of Canada?  Did he commit  elsewhere or will he be a late signee with UND?

This was just posted on allcanadagridiron.com:

After considering several schools one of the top CB prospects for this  class, Brandon Jordan has committed to the University of North Dakota.

i dont get it. the kid has a scholarship offer on the table from UND and decides to wait and decide after the signing deadline? now he gets no scholarship money (i believe), and on top of that, ....

Hold it.

Wednesday, February 4, 2004 was the first day a HS senior could sign an LOI in fooball. The last day is April 1, 2004.

An LOI is an offer of a grant-in-aid, a "contract" (I put that in quotes because it raises the hair on the back of the NCAA's neck :) ): "We'll give you this much money if you play here."

Putting an LOI, which must contain an offer of grant-in-aid, in front of a guy must mean the letter is good until the end of the period, wouldn't it? If that bulletin board report is true, waiting two weeks cost him nothing.

There had been some talk earlier about NDSCS and ex-NDSU linebacker Tyler Morrow transferring to UND. Does anybody know whether he decided to play another year at NDSCS? I didn't see his name on any school's list of signees, and I believe he does have another year of juco eligibility.

There had been some talk earlier about NDSCS and ex-NDSU linebacker Tyler Morrow transferring to UND. Does anybody know whether he decided to play another year at NDSCS? I didn't see his name on any school's list of signees, and I believe he does have another year of juco eligibility.

He is playing at NDSCS next year... he was unable to transfer out this semester due to NCAA rules so he will play at NDSCS this fall and probably transfer next winter so he is eligbile for spring ball. I think UND remains a possibility but I think he has had some "feelers" from MAC schools and IAA's. Also UND is loaded with LB's so that may limit the amount of scholarship money they are able to give and playing time.

• 1 month later...
I see Trenbeath got hurt playing baseball and will be out for a few months. He had a good run going in his three major sports. It's tough to watch an athlete like that get hurt. Hopefully he can recover fully from this injury.

Cavalier's Trenbeath out for the season

Heard the Dr told Trenbeath that his sports career was over.

He is now looking for a second opinion.

Always hate to see this happen. :sad:

I talked this morning with a person very much in touch with the Cavalier sports programs and it appears that it will be about a year before a definitive prognosis can be done on Brady. He was of the opinion that there would be no doctor that would clear him to participate even after that time. Brady is planning to enroll in the premed program at UND and the first neurologist he saw apparently told him that if he was serious about a career in medicine that he should glue his behind to a seat and forget about athletics. I haven't had a chance yet to talk to Brady or his parents, but this source is the next thing.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like UND signee Weston Dressler is having an outstanding track season. After being primarily an 800 meter runner last year, he's dropped down to the sprints and has the top times in the state in the 100, 200 and 400. He's run 22.08 in the 200 (wind-aided, but impressive nevertheless) and 49.49 in the 400, which is outstanding, especially this early in the year. He has shown time and again to be extremely elusive in the open field, so the fact that he's also showing excellent speed is very encouraging.