SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruit list released

joelbird

LIke usual, the ND all-stars lose to Montana in the Mon-Dak game, but this time it was 55-7!! OUCH. Weston Dressler set a game record with 153 yards on 22 carries though, a pretty impressive total.Mon-Dak game

The more I read of Dressler, the more convinced I am that he will be one of the most exciting players to ever put on shoulder pads at UND.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone has any great rationale as to why North Dakota gets hammered by Montana every year? Their population is somewhat larger so they would have a few more kids to pick from but you wouldn't think they should be that much more talented than ND kids.

From the link (UND recruits in bold):

Individual statistics

Rushing: ND -- Weston Dressler 22-153, Tyler Roehl 8-18, B.J. Etzold 4-(minus 31), Tom Prout 7-14, Rockie Stavn 3-8, Jake Caufield 1-(minus 1), Bryce Petersen 6-34. M -- Rob Schulte 14-56, Torey Thomas 6-69, Jake Kallestad 10-58, Josh Saunders 3-3.

Passing: ND --B.J. Etzold 4-9-1, 28 yards; Tom Prout 2-11-0, 18 yards. M -- Torey Thomas 8-11-0, 144 yards; Josh Saunders 13-17-1, 129 yards.

Receiving: ND -- Jake Caufield 3-15, Mike Feldman 1-5, Alex Belquist 1-11, John Breitbach 1-15. M -- Rob Schulte 1-3, Brian Sloan 3-56, Daine Solomon 1-9, Tyler Bolton 3-51, Ryan Bagley 3-54, Kevin Staley 3-16, Chris Sundberg 2-12.

Montana had two 100-yard passers!

I don't think that Montana is always more talented, but they seem to typically have more talent than the ND team. Any all-star game is tough because you have little time to prep and if the coaches have not had some experience with these type of games the team usually suffers a little. If you look at the roster for the Badlands Bowl, you will likely notice a few of the very good ND players that choose not to play and the players you notice are missing are just going to be the good players you know about from your area. Sean Hoffman from Fargo North as well as a few other from different classes did not play in the game for one reason or another the year I played in the game. (I am sure Montana has this same problem)

I happened to play on one of the few ND teams to beat Monatana and it was a close game. Montana probably had a few individuals that were at a higher level than any players on the ND team but were not as good from top to bottom. I personally thought their skill players were pretty good but the linemen they had that year were terrible.

I don't know what the problem is with the North Dakota team in most of these games. Aside from quarterback, I actually thought the talent at the skill positions was quite good this year in ND, and yet they could only manage 7 points. I don't think there were a lot of good offensive linemen this year, though, so that may have been a big part of the problem.

Defensively, the only thing I can think of is that in North Dakota high school football, you see very few good passing teams so the typical ND high school defensive player is probably not going to very well-versed in pass defense, particularly when playing against a good quarterback. Combine that with the fact that apparently Montana produces some pretty decent quarterbacks and receivers, and you have a potentially bad combination in terms of matchups.

In terms of speed, it's very difficult to know whether there's much of a difference. Comparing the state track results from the respective states, it would appear that North Dakota more than holds its own, although obviously there's no guarantee that all the better football speed guys necessarily run track. I highly doubt Montana had anybody faster, or even as fast as Dressler.

I personally think ND should try to start a game against SD, instead. I think there's far more of a natural rivalry between North and South Dakota than between ND and Montana, anyway.