SiouxSports.com Forum

A 4.0 GPA!

The Sicatoka

I thought I'd never see the day of a UND mens hockey player with a 4.0 GPA!

Ack--gasp--(clutches chest)--aaacccckkkk ....

(Insert loud thud-on-floor sound here.)

Clear!

(Insert sound of defibulator discharging here.) ;):huh:

To whomever it is: Great job! :p

PS - Congratulations to all the hard work of all of UND's outstanding scholar-athletes. Keep up the good work.

Odd that the cheer team is listed. They don't get letters anymore, and therefore, are really not a varsity sport. Though they would fall under the athletic department. For that matter, I believe the pep bands technically do as well.

The pep band doesn't fall under the athletic department, it falls under the music dept. And yes, cheerleading is a sport at UND, believe it or not. And just for the record, the football team has habitually had one of the best GPA's of sports teams at UND for the past few years.

Sure you can call cheerleading a sport, but they don't get letters. Therefore, they are like a club sport. Why not list the Rugby teams GPA. I do realize that cheerleading is more visible, but they aren't a lettered sport anymore.

While the band is run at the music dept. and payed for through the music dept, I believe they fall under the athletic dept as well (and probably get a little funding). At most schools the athletic dept funds the band trips to away games and tourneys (not ours however). Plus, the athletic dept. would say whether or not these bands get to even play at games.

Sure you can call cheerleading a sport, but they don't get letters. Therefore, they are like a club sport. Why not list the Rugby teams GPA. I do realize that cheerleading is more visible, but they aren't a lettered sport anymore.

While the band is run at the music dept. and payed for through the music dept, I believe they fall under the athletic dept as well (and probably get a little funding). At most schools the athletic dept funds the band trips to away games and tourneys (not ours however). Plus, the athletic dept. would say whether or not these bands get to even play at games.

Two part question:

How does lettering in athlettics work?

How does lettering in cheerleading work?

I would think, except for longevity, cheerleading would be a hard thing to quantify, like band. I lettered in band in high school. Don't know why I lettered in band (not sure I even deserved it in the first place), but I did.

• 4 months later...
soooo, just curious, what degree program these guys in for?

If my suspicions are correct as to which player it is, he graduated with honors from high school, was a member of the National Honor Society, and is majoring in finance and marketing.

Congrats to the player in question. An amazing accomplishment considering the number of hours hockey must consume.

This note was in Patrick Reusse's column yesterday. Probably old news in the forks but thought it was interesting:

COACH DEAN BLAIS always had a surprise for new players during his 10 years in charge of North Dakota's hockey program. When the young man walked into his first early class -- say, 8 a.m. -- of fall semester, he would find Blais or an assistant coach sitting there.

If a player was reported missing a class, he would go through an intense, Blais-supervised workout at 6 a.m. the next day. If the same player missed a second class, the entire team would go through a Blais workout at 6 a.m.

Chances are the player in question didn't need this babysitting service. :D

Hey Greyeagle......

I noticed on the POI message board, one of your posts referred to us as the "Sue".....what's up with that?? :D:p;)

maybe GE slipped up or there is the occasional use on POI just as there is the use of "Goofers, etc" over here... :)

WPoS

Hey Greyeagle......

I noticed on the POI message board, one of your posts referred to us as the "Sue".....what's up with that?? :D:p;)

Relax and re-read the post.

Goon made a comment about POIers using "Sue" instead of "Sioux." I then said something about "Sue" will disappear on POI when "Goofer" is no longer seen on SS.com. I then used "Sue" and in parentheses said it was just for Goon in a post. In other words, it was in jest...sort of. :)

Dagies caught it, I saw, and made a funny reference about it in a post on this site. ;)