SiouxSports.com Forum

Potential Rule Changes

scpa0305

We definitely must not playing in the same men's league....... ;)

But seriously I often wonder for rec leagues if it wouldn't be a good idea (cya) bylaw to require cages or at least half shields.

I grew up in nd so the high school hockey wasn't overy competitive at least as it compares to mn

Not an on-ice rule, but I thought I would throw this in here anyway.

It sounds like there has been some interesting discussion about the "Gentleman's Agreement" in college hockey:

Funny enough, the Gophers just received a commitment from a 1999-born (SSM Bantam)...

Any truth to the rumor coming out of Dinkytown that Minnesota is considering dumping hockey scholarships altogether so they can compete better with the Harvards and Union Colleges of NCAA hockey?

• Upvote 2

Any truth to the rumor coming out of Dinkytown that Minnesota is considering dumping hockey scholarships altogether so they can compete better with the Harvards and Union Colleges of NCAA hockey?

I know this is a joke but you do know players at places like Union are basically on scholarships just like a player at UND or Minnesota they just don't call it a scholarship. Really seems stupid to me that national media like ESPN made such a big deal of Union not having any scholarships like the players have to pay their full tuition when in reality they have pretty much everything paid for just like the rest of their D1 competitiors.

I know this is a joke but you do know players at places like Union are basically on scholarships just like a player at UND or Minnesota they just don't call it a scholarship. Really seems stupid to me that national media like ESPN made such a big deal of Union not having any scholarships like the players have to pay their full tuition when in reality they have pretty much everything paid for just like the rest of their D1 competitiors.

Same thing with a lot of D3 schools. Need based, academic, et. al. scholarships. Which can/will easily add up to more than a D1 scholarship.

Wouldn't those injuries be covered in their parent's health insurance? These are hockey players...I'm guessing they did not come from lower class families. Also, many people act like these injures are occuring all the time. I have used a half shield for the past 11 years and have one cut on my lip. Many times the players don't end up going to the doc for cuts. Only critical injuries would require you to see a doc....and those injuries are extremely infrequent.

Agreed. The only leagues that should require full cages are the E rec leagues in your respective town's beer league! Those hacks are the crazy ones hacking away because they can hardly skate. You start getting up in the more skilled levels, and injuries aren't nearly as common because the guys have the good sense to keep their twigs down and their slap shots below the shins.

Same thing with a lot of D3 schools. Need based, academic, et. al. scholarships. Which can/will easily add up to more than a D1 scholarship.

Yah, I was up in Winnipeg the weekend of the FF, playing in a company tournament, and one of the players from our Boston office who was there had played his college hockey at Union and he said that "no scholarship" policy is a bunch of smoke and mirrors. It's simply simantics as far as what they refer to it as. He laughed at the ESPN guys during the Union/BC game every time they carried on about that.

Wouldn't those injuries be covered in their parent's health insurance? These are hockey players...I'm guessing they did not come from lower class families. Also, many people act like these injures are occuring all the time. I have used a half shield for the past 11 years and have one cut on my lip. Many times the players don't end up going to the doc for cuts. Only critical injuries would require you to see a doc....and those injuries are extremely infrequent.

A lot of time they would be better off having their own plan. Canadians would need a plan for the states. As for families with money a lot of these guys parents really do not have a lot of money. Just like in Grand Forks. Parents just keep adding to that Hockey World account year after year at 18% interest.

It's called sarcasm...I know Union isn't exactly Rick Moranis' "Little Giants" as opposed to Ed O'Neill's big bad Cowboys...

On the flip-side, Minnesota's "Pride on Ice" doesn't exactly expect to lose to Union.

It's called sarcasm...I know Union isn't exactly Rick Moranis' "Little Giants" as opposed to Ed O'Neill's big bad Cowboys...

On the flip-side, Minnesota's "Pride on Ice" doesn't exactly expect to lose to Union.

Figured you probably knew already but sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet and I've heard enough stupid people try to say how great it is that a little school with no scholarships can win an NCAA Championship that I'm real sick of hearing that misconception about schools like Union. Love the Little Giants comparison by the way, now I'm gonna have to find that movie and watch it again.

Figured you probably knew already but sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet and I've heard enough stupid people try to say how great it is that a little school with no scholarships can win an NCAA Championship that I'm real sick of hearing that misconception about schools like Union. Love the Little Giants comparison by the way, now I'm gonna have to find that movie and watch it again.

Totally agree on the scholarship/no scholarship issue. ESPN loves to make a big deal out of nothing.

Little Giants...great movie. Fumble-rooski!

Not a rule change but I heard mn is thinking about going back to nhl sized ice. This years Olympics, although very exciting to me for various reasons, really killed the big ice idea. I agree it's too big and watching traps on the big sheet is like watching soccer.

Not a rule change but I heard mn is thinking about going back to nhl sized ice. This years Olympics, although very exciting to me for various reasons, really killed the big ice idea. I agree it's too big and watching traps on the big sheet is like watching soccer.

I wonder how hard it would be to convert from Olympic to NHL size? Why did they build an OLympic size to start with?

I wonder how hard it would be to convert from Olympic to NHL size? Why did they build an OLympic size to start with?

Not sure it got popular with the big skating teams. Nowadays most team have great skating teams and everyone simply traps on the big ice. It's actually easier to defend. In the old days small fast guys used to wheel around the pylons.

Not sure it got popular with the big skating teams. Nowadays most team have great skating teams and everyone simply traps on the big ice. It's actually easier to defend. In the old days small fast guys used to wheel around the pylons.

I remember when they were building Mariucci they had a reason. I'll be danged if I can remember why though. St. Cloud was because they were going to be the Olympic "training center". Gee how did that work out?

I am not sure why any of us should disagree with what Minnesota and other big schools want when it comes to this gentleman's agreement. We'd have an easier time of filling spots if we have a late departure for the Canadian Juniors or some other avenue. I have the feeling that Hak probably wouldn't be against getting rid of it.

College football and college basketball don't have any agreements in place and the successful programs are still successful programs.

• Upvote 1

I'm confused. Teams like the Wild and Devils trapped their way around NHL ice for years...I only WISH the NHL of the mid-to-late 1990's and early 2000's had Olympic-size venues.

• Upvote 1

I'm confused. Teams like the Wild and Devils trapped their way around NHL ice for years...I only WISH the NHL of the mid-to-late 1990's and early 2000's had Olympic-size venues.

Yeah the devils had a great neutral zone trap. The trap in the Olympics started there and carried all the way back into the d zone.

I could be wrong, but many years ago, wasn't there a movement to move the college game on to NHL ice sheets? So as new arenas were built, they were built with the Olympic sheets? Again, could be a poor memory here too.

As someone who's gone to CC games ever since they built the world arena, I personally do not enjoy the game as much on the Olympic sized rink. I think it's slower as teams who don't normally play on the big sheet can quickly adjust and anticipate those home run passes. I think more defensive mistakes, turnovers, and offensive forechecking pressure happens with greater frequency on the NHL sheet...resulting in more scoring opportunities and thus, more excitement for the fans. CC/DU games on the whole have generally been more entertaining with more turns in momentum when played at Magness than at World Arena. Just one guy's opinion.

• Upvote 1

As someone who's gone to CC games ever since they built the world arena, I personally do not enjoy the game as much on the Olympic sized rink. I think it's slower as teams who don't normally play on the big sheet can quickly adjust and anticipate those home run passes. I think more defensive mistakes, turnovers, and offensive forechecking pressure happens with greater frequency on the NHL sheet...resulting in more scoring opportunities and thus, more excitement for the fans. CC/DU games on the whole have generally been more entertaining with more turns in momentum when played at Magness than at World Arena. Just one guy's opinion.

I am not a fan at all of games played on Olympic sheets of ice, either. You pretty much laid out the argument awesomely.

boooooooooo!

Edited by Goon

I also don't like the game as much on the big sheet at the college level. There are too many missed passes and too much time is spent chasing the puck. The olympics are fine, but those are world-class hockey players.