SiouxSports.com Forum

Fixing the NCAA Hockey Championship Format

Siouxperfan7

How about this....

Since we all don't like the week off between the regionals and Frozen Four, eliminate that week, but take a week off between the conference tourneys and the regionals. This will give the arenas an extra week to sell out, eliminate the week off between regionals and F4 AND keep college hockey's grandest showcase on a different weekend that college basketball's! BOOM!

If they are swithcing to schools hosting again, this idea wouldn't really be necessary. I don't think you would need an extra week for the Ralph to sell out a Regional that UND is the #! seed in. The problem with the week off isn't when the week off occurs, it is the fact that it even occurs. Kills any momentum and excitement created leading up to it.

If they are swithcing to schools hosting again, this idea wouldn't really be necessary. I don't think you would need an extra week for the Ralph to sell out a Regional that UND is the #! seed in. The problem with the week off isn't when the week off occurs, it is the fact that it even occurs. Kills any momentum and excitement created leading up to it.

Just playing devil's advocate the only argument I could hear about it is lack of rest time. Whoever wins the Sunday night game could potentially have to turn around and play Thursday afternoon.

Just playing devil's advocate the only argument I could hear about it is lack of rest time. Whoever wins the Sunday night game could potentially have to turn around and play Thursday afternoon.

This has been going on in conference tournaments for decades. Speaking of that, anybody else think the 2-out-of-3 opening weekend prior to the Final Five/Frozen Face-off/etc is no longer necessary? Open that slot up for additional non-conference. Seed based on regular season finish, bottom half of the leagues go golfing. Great thread by the way!

This has been going on in conference tournaments for decades.

True, but I'd say conference tournaments and the Frozen Four are different animals. One is to win a conference tourney, which is nice, but the other is to win the one thing a majority of players strive for the entire year. So in that respect, you don't want even a hint of an advantage towards one team.

Sure, the Ralph can sell out in a week, but can other schools? Many can, yes, but many won't be able to. Giving an extra week would help this as people coming from out of town can plan better.

This has been going on in conference tournaments for decades.

It has been going on in conference tournaments for decades. But without an off week for rest in there somewhere, they'd potentially be doing it back to back (in the conference tournaments and then again in the national tourney). It's hard enough on the players to do it for the conference tourneys. I can't imagine it'd be worth the possible (probable) injuries.

How about this....

Since we all don't like the week off between the regionals and Frozen Four, eliminate that week, but take a week off between the conference tourneys and the regionals. This will give the arenas an extra week to sell out, eliminate the week off between regionals and F4 AND keep college hockey's grandest showcase on a different weekend that college basketball's! BOOM!

Wouldn't the Saturday of Regionals, where there is typically 6 games, be competing with the Final Four? Isn't that what they are trying to avoid now with the current structure?

going back to on campus sites is almost virtually going to happen at some point here. we saw it with Notre Dame next year and I won't be surprised when the next round of sites it released that there aren't on-campus sites. out west here you will see The Ralph, Marriucci, Amsoil Arena, The Kohl Center and The World Arena all start to get regionals again.

some of those rinks have the "wrong" sized ice

Wouldn't the Saturday of Regionals, where there is typically 6 games, be competing with the Final Four? Isn't that what they are trying to avoid now with the current structure?

Not exactly going to be a ratings bonanza no matter which weekend it falls.