SiouxSports.com Forum

Lots of shoes to fill

geaux_sioux

If they do beat Wyoming, it won't count as an FBS win. I hear you should be able to blow out any FBS team that is going through a coaching change and lost their quarterback and most of their other starters. If they don't beat Wyoming by 20 if should be considered a disappointment.

Please tell me where I said in my post we will beat an FBS team and win by 20. I said if we go 3-1 (the one loss to SJSU). But spin it how you want O'Reilly.

San Jose just lost a quarterback to the NFL draft. That also qualifies as an FBS game that should be an easy win.

South Dakota must have thought that when they beat the Gophers. SDSU hasn't beaten an FBS team...go razz in them.

So back to the original topic (always amazed how one comment can move the thread topic in an entirely different direction)! I have watched the last three practices and I can honestly say that the quarterbacks look better than last year but neither one stood out above the other. At receiver, Casey Young looked extremely impressive all three days. Maybe as someone else mentioned, he was just a victim of circumstance the last couple of years. I think he may be the biggest wideout. McGill also looked very good although he struggled with alignment a few times. I love the way Bubba runs his practices. They are clean and crisp and the coaches are showing a lot of patience while the kids learn the new system. Spring ball is giving a lot of kids multiple reps which should help come fall.

So back to the original topic (always amazed how one comment can move the thread topic in an entirely different direction)! I have watched the last three practices and I can honestly say that the quarterbacks look better than last year but neither one stood out above the other. At receiver, Casey Young looked extremely impressive all three days. Maybe as someone else mentioned, he was just a victim of circumstance the last couple of years. I think he may be the biggest wideout. McGill also looked very good although he struggled with alignment a few times. I love the way Bubba runs his practices. They are clean and crisp and the coaches are showing a lot of patience while the kids learn the new system. Spring ball is giving a lot of kids multiple reps which should help come fall.

How has Palendech looked?

I'm curious as to how the younger kids on defense have looked. Norberg, Reyes, rich, Labat, etc. also, the observation about Young is about what I expected. I understand he has always been a hard worker and pretty talented but was buried behind the depth. I expect Young and Carr to be our top WRs this fall (taking nothing away from McGill).....

Is the offense running a different formation than last year? I hope they buried that Pistol Offense.

Practice seems to going very well. I showed up early to practice Saturday, and coaches were out working with players on plays. The after mas of practice was fun too. Nice to see players staying behind to throw the ball around. Group seems to be gelling together.

Is the offense running a different formation than last year? I hope they buried that Pistol Offense.

They are multiple - under center, shotgun, and pistol. The pistol can be very effective if run correctly. We'll see a lot more runs and PA out of it this year and it should work nicely.

• 5 months later...

Here is an article on Daryl Brown from the Duluth newspaper..............

“We’ve got some great guys on this team,” Brown said. “The difference with these guys and the guys at North Dakota is that I feel like it’s a family here. There were some guys at North Dakota, where they just played for themselves, and they only cared about what they did. And I know losing can bring that out, but guys here support you no matter what. If you make a bad play, they say, ‘Next play, keep your head up, we’re here for you.’ And that’s what I like about this team. I know they have my back, and I have their back.” 

If they do beat Wyoming, it won't count as an FBS win. I hear you should be able to blow out any FBS team that is going through a coaching change and lost their quarterback and most of their other starters. If they don't beat Wyoming by 20 if should be considered a disappointment.

hmmm not sure what to say about that one

Two things I learned from a very informative conversation. Coach Knaupf is not very high on his OL, he only feels two of them are true D1 caliber players. I assume one of them is Francis, who knows who the other one is. Either way that's pretty telling of what he inherited and what his standards are. Also the coaches are apparently VERY high on Studsrud, I guess we should really keep an eye on him.

Two things I learned from a very informative conversation. Coach Knaupf is not very high on his OL, he only feels two of them are true D1 caliber players. I assume one of them is Francis, who knows who the other one is. Either way that's pretty telling of what he inherited and what his standards are. Also the coaches are apparently VERY high on Studsrud, I guess we should really keep an eye on him.

Coach Luke Knauf comes from a proud culture of capable offensive linemen at Wisconsin. I have no doubt he will eventually shape UND's offensive line into that mold. Wisconsin, still to this day, relies on effective offensive line play and a successful running game.

Also, good to hear regarding Studsrud. 

Even though he feels that way, I think it's inappropriate to verbalize it to someone outside the coaching staff to where it could end up on a fan board like this and be seen by his players.  JMO.

• Upvote 2

They better work at developing the guys in the roster. Really lacked there the last few years.

Also, probably a conversation you shouldn't have posted on a website.

• Upvote 1

Even though he feels that way, I think it's inappropriate to verbalize it to someone outside the coaching staff to where it could end up on a fan board like this and be seen by his players. JMO.

It's okay to have an honest conversation with fans and alumni about the progress of the team; however, from there it's important to respect the student-athletes and the coaches' willingness to be honest.

I will say, though, that this is a website that has no direct connection to the University of North Dakota. If student-athletes are looking on this site, they best be prepared to see criticism, because that's what comes with the territory of being a collegiate athlete. Lastly, in terms of performance, the offensive linemen should embrace what was said about them and try to improve rather than be sensitive about it; up to this point, they've played poor. It is what it is.

• Upvote 1