SiouxSports.com Forum

Radio

choyt3

A two hour signing day show on WDAY (radio home of UND athletics) next week. http://bisonmedia.ar...=90155#com-head

When's this radio contract expire?

I find this frustrating as well, but I suppose they are a Fargo station in a Fargo market.

Not much choice in the market - KFGO has FU, WDAY has UND - they have to program for ratings.

That's the problem. UND really has to be on one of those two stations. The only other even remote option would be Hennen's station 1100 The Flag, but I'm not sure that is the answer either. We were on KFGO for 17 years and like WDAY now, they rarely mentioned us save for the game broadcasts. The Fargo stations are just affiliates.

Sometimes I wish KNOX/Leighton would become the Flagship and hire a sports director. That would at least give UND a presence on Grand Forks' only significant talk station.

Sorry for the drift. Back to recruiting..........

I find this frustrating as well, but I suppose they are a Fargo station in a Fargo market.

That's the problem. UND really has to be on one of those two stations. The only other even remote option would be Hennen's station 1100 The Flag, but I'm not sure that is the answer either. We were on KFGO for 17 years and like WDAY now, they rarely mentioned us save for the game broadcasts. The Fargo stations are just affiliates.

Sometimes I wish KNOX/Leighton would become the Flagship and hire a sports director. That would at least give UND a presence on Grand Forks' only significant talk station.

Sorry for the drift. Back to recruiting..........

Does Grand Forks still have KCNN 1590? I thought that had UND sports years and years ago.

Maybe a partnership between Leighton and KFYR would work?

KFYR is owned by Clear Channel. They may not be interested in working with Leighton if Leighton took the contract away from Clear Channel. Other than Grand Forks, I'm pretty sure that Leighton's other stations are in Minnesota, so Leighton may not be the best partner for UND. They would have a more difficult time building a network in North Dakota.

KFYR is owned by Clear Channel. They may not be interested in working with Leighton if Leighton took the contract away from Clear Channel. Other than Grand Forks, I'm pretty sure that Leighton's other stations are in Minnesota, so Leighton may not be the best partner for UND. They would have a more difficult time building a network in North Dakota.

I assume the same regarding the relationship between Clear Channel GF and Clear Channel Bismarck. However none of the other stations in the network are owned by Clear Channel, so they should be unaffected by who the flagship is.

Having said that, staying on KFYR and/or KXMR in Bismarck is equally as important as being on either KFGO/WDAY in Fargo.

It is a tough situation with alot of angles. I just wish UND had more of presence on a regional talker, and the only option realistically is KNOX. Unless Clear Channel switched formats on 1440 and made it a dedicated local talk station to compete with KNOX. That seems unlikely though since it is such a weak signal and being a KFAN affiliate is what give them rights to Vikings game.

http://staatalent.com/Headlines/10/04/13und.php

(April 13, 2010) The University of North Dakota says it has reached an agreement with Forum Communications Co. to broadcast Fighting Sioux games on WDAY-AM radio in the Fargo-Moorhead market and beyond.

The three-year agreement includes all UND football and men's hockey broadcasts, UND's weekly coaches show and a game of the week that will feature other UND sports, most notably men's and women's basketball.

NDSU signed a six-year agreement with RADIO Fargo-Moorhead in March.

Will UND extend the contract with WDAY after this year or will they switch back to KFGO in 2016.

http://staatalent.co...10/04/13und.php

Will UND extend the contract with WDAY after this year or will they switch back to KFGO in 2016.

KFGO is not going to take UND over NDSU - at the end of the day having WDAY isn't so bad - UND gets lots of air time in that market - just have to accept that SU is going to get the primary share of the media attention.

Both WDAY and KFGO will want NDSU athletics. When NDSU's deal with KFGO is up, I'm sure WDAY will bid for it again. UND will be on which ever one doesn't have NDSU. Have to remember these are affiliate stations, no different than the small "mom & pop" stations from Beulah, Langdon, and Warroad that are also part of the network.

KFGO is not going to take UND over NDSU - at the end of the day having WDAY isn't so bad - UND gets lots of air time in that market - just have to accept that SU is going to get the primary share of the media attention.

The nice thing about WDAY is it gets a basketball, volleyball, and/or women's hockey game on in Fargo every once in awhile. They also carry the coaches show each week. KFGO never did any of that.

WDAY has been a good partner, but I do wish Dom Izzo would have a UND guy on his nightly show once in awhile, other than just the 10 minutes a week he gives Schlossman.

Cristopher Gabriel has always had Mussman on the Friday before and Monday after a game.

But again, this is a Fargo station, so I don't expect a ton of talk about a Grand Forks school. That's why I am intrigued by the idea of KNOX being the flagship. The flagship produces the games, UND is the one who builds the network.

Both WDAY and KFGO will want NDSU athletics. When NDSU's deal with KFGO is up, I'm sure WDAY will bid for it again. UND will be on which ever one doesn't have NDSU.

Bingo. WDAY is done with UND after this season, KFGO is done with NDSU after 2016. Unless somehow UND ends up on a 3rd Fargo station like 740 the Fan, 1100 the Flag, or FM (I know NDSU was on 101.9, same with the Vikings).

If I recall, NDSU is buying air time on stations and controlling their own broadcast (including selling their own advertising time).

I believe UND is still running an affiliate model where the stations pay to take the broadcast and the stations then sell their advertising time during the broadcast.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Fargo-Moorhead radio is aligned into basically two large clusters and a couple outliers (one of which is AM 970 WDAY).

From Wikipedia (which is never wrong ;) ):

On September 18, 2012, The Forum of Fargo-Moorhead reported that Radio Fargo-Moorhead, Inc. had announced on its website a deal to sell all the stations in the cluster to Midwest Communications of Wausau, Wisconsin.[1] The sale was approved by the FCC and finalized on 1 May 2013. Within hours of the sale, Radio Fargo-Moorhead owner purchased the cross-town rival cluster owned by Triad Broadcasting (KVOX-FM, KLTA, KPFX, KQWB-FM, KQWB-AM, and KBMW) in a deal that allowed him to take immediate control of the stations via a Local Marketing Agreement while the full sale awaited FCC approval.[2] In a third deal, Ingstad arranged to swap KVOX-FM with his former Country outlet KBVB, and its morning show "Chris, John and Jane".[3]

The new Radio Fargo-Moorhead group identifies themselves as "Radio FM Media" and includes:

Bingo. WDAY is done with UND after this season, KFGO is done with NDSU after 2016. Unless somehow UND ends up on a 3rd Fargo station like 740 the Fan, 1100 the Flag, or FM (I know NDSU was on 101.9, same with the Vikings).

740 The Fan and 101.9 are both owned by the same company that owns KFGO.

While not unheard of, it would seem unlikely that they'd both ever end up on the same Fargo station. If they did, it would have to be KFGO because they are the only one that has enough stations. But I doubt the FU flagship would ever also be a UND affiliate. In Bismarck, Clear Channel carries both on its family of stations, but again, they are an affiliate to both networks.

It will be interesting to see how hard WDAY goes after NDSU rights when their deal with KFGO is up. Forum Comm treats radio like a red-headed stepchild, for some unknown reason. But they had the TV and Radio rights to NDSU for like 60 years. It was a big loss for them. Forum Comm recently got the TV rights to ND high school athletics, and they've been putting more emphasis on broadcasting live local sports recently than ever before.

1100 The Flag would be the only 3rd option. They have a huge daytime signal, but it is crappy at night, and they are not as well known. I'm sure Hennen would love to have Sioux sports on his station though.

If I recall, NDSU is buying air time on stations and controlling their own broadcast (including selling their own advertising time).

I believe UND is still running an affiliate model where the stations pay to take the broadcast and the stations then sell their advertising time during the broadcast.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe UND also adopted this model a few years back, then abandonded it a year or two later, when former Associate AD Sean Johnson left. I actually think (although not totally sure) that UND is doing both. I think they are buying time on WDAY for the coaches show and basketball games, and also on the Bismarck Clear Channel stations. A few years ago, Clear Channel Bismarck dropped UND sports after carrying them for many years. We spent a year on a smaller station, then the next year were back on Clear Channel.

I am sick and tired of hearing all this "Fargo market, Fargo station" crap. We have a lot of alums that live in the Imperial Cass-Clay County Megalopolis (a fact that drives FU fans crazy) that have ZERO interest in the almighty Bison and are still 1000% loyal to UND athletics (and everything else for that matter). I guess those consumers somehow don't count and don't buy goods and services. Yeah, and the Vikings will win the Super Bowl next year. :silly:

We have been outmaneuvered by FU for 5 years in getting our product on the air in places that affect recruiting, fan interest, sponsorships and so on. When KFGO was talking with NDSU about a contract, I would have went behind FU's back and offered whatever it took to lock up KFGO for as long as possible. Then FU would have had to go crawling back to WDAY; whom they had just finished having a major falling out with. But no, we just sat on our hands and did nothing. Then, I had to listen to all the talking heads on KFGO blather on and on about "This is where the BISON play". :angry: FU gets continuous media coverage and hype, while we are an afterthought (a.k.a. "That OTHER school in North Dakota). And if you think that doesn't negatively effect recruiting to a certain extent, then you are kidding yourselves.

If it's going to be all about FU being in a bigger media market, then God help us in the future when we do win championships at a national level (I am confident we will get back to that level again....and soon). We'll get a brief mention on KFGO, a little more time on WDAY.....and then it will be back to talking about Saul Phillips and his "Slummit League" Men's Basketball team and their latest "big-time" match-up with IUPUIFW or whatever other two-bit schools they have in that hodge-podge, way-station conference of theirs. Of course, I'll be told that I don't know what I am talking about (again), but to paraphrase Jack Nicholson from "A Few Good Men": "Some people can't handle the truth". ;)

End rant. Have a great Friday. :)

I am sick and tired of hearing all this "Fargo market, Fargo station" crap. We have a lot of alums that live in the Imperial Cass-Clay County Megalopolis (a fact that drives FU fans crazy) that have ZERO interest in the almighty Bison and are still 1000% loyal to UND athletics (and everything else for that matter). I guess those consumers somehow don't count and don't buy goods and services. Yeah, and the Vikings will win the Super Bowl next year. :silly:

We have been outmaneuvered by FU for 5 years in getting our product on the air in places that affect recruiting, fan interest, sponsorships and so on. When KFGO was talking with NDSU about a contract, I would have went behind FU's back and offered whatever it took to lock up KFGO for as long as possible. Then FU would have had to go crawling back to WDAY; whom they had just finished having a major falling out with. But no, we just sat on our hands and did nothing. Then, I had to listen to all the talking heads on KFGO blather on and on about "This is where the BISON play". :angry: FU gets continuous media coverage and hype, while we are an afterthought (a.k.a. "That OTHER school in North Dakota). And if you think that doesn't negatively effect recruiting to a certain extent, then you are kidding yourselves.

If it's going to be all about FU being in a bigger media market, then God help us in the future when we do win championships at a national level (I am confident we will get back to that level again....and soon). We'll get a brief mention on KFGO, a little more time on WDAY.....and then it will be back to talking about Saul Phillips and his "Slummit League" Men's Basketball team and their latest "big-time" match-up with IUPUIFW or whatever other two-bit schools they have in that hodge-podge, way-station conference of theirs. Of course, I'll be told that I don't know what I am talking about (again), but to paraphrase Jack Nicholson from "A Few Good Men": "Some people can't handle the truth". ;)

End rant. Have a great Friday. :)

Sure, there are lots of Sioux fans that live in Fargo and want to hear coverage.

But obviously NDSU broadcasts are more lucrative in the Fargo market than are UND broadcasts. Whether that is through advertising or FU buying air time I don't know. If UND broadcasts were more profitable, then Radio Fargo Moorhead would not have dumped UND (in a very unprofessional manner I might add). It wasn't done because because KFGO doesn't like UND. It was a business decision.

The number of listener calls can be a good indicator of how much interest their is in a product. If anyone has ever heard Bison Rewind (or whatever it is called) with Craig Bohl, you'd know that there are often so many calls during the show they don't all get on. Do you ever hear anyone call in to the UND Coaches Show? Very rarely. It's been on in Fargo every week for 3 years now. Maybe one or two calls a month.

I don't like it, but that is just how it is I'm afraid.

But obviously NDSU broadcasts are more lucrative in the Fargo market than are UND broadcasts. Whether that is through advertising or FU buying air time I don't know. If UND broadcasts were more profitable, then Radio Fargo Moorhead would not have dumped UND (in a very unprofessional manner I might add). It wasn't done because because KFGO doesn't like UND. It was a business decision.

The number of listener calls can be a good indicator of how much interest their is in a product. If anyone has ever heard Bison Rewind (or whatever it is called) with Craig Bohl, you'd know that there are often so many calls during the show they don't all get on. Do you ever hear anyone call in to the UND Coaches Show? Very rarely. It's been on in Fargo every week for 3 years now. Maybe one or two calls a month.

I don't like it, but that is just how it is I'm afraid.

I am not saying it wasn't a business decision. I am saying UND should have played hardball and outmaneuvered FU. They wouldn't hesitate to stab us in the back; why are we always the fair-haired boy in this state? It's time to drop the gloves and fight for once.

The reason nobody calls the UND coaches show is because UND has done a mediocre job of marketing their programs over the years. I am sure a lot of people don't even know that program even exists. If they don't know it even exists, they won't listen to it.

Your closing comment "I don't like it, but that is just how it is I'm afraid." is sad commentary on how far we have fallen. We are becoming the University of Grand Forks, while FU is taking over the state of North Dakota (thus, living up to the first two words in their name: NORTH DAKOTA State University). We just cannot accept playing second-fiddle to FU as "how it is". We need to think outside the box on this or we'll be left behind for the foreseeable future. I do not want that to happen.

And I am open to suggestions from people much smarter than me on this topic. Any takers?

I am not saying it wasn't a business decision. I am saying UND should have played hardball and outmaneuvered FU. They wouldn't hesitate to stab us in the back; why are we always the fair-haired boy in this state? It's time to drop the gloves and fight for once.

The reason nobody calls the UND coaches show is because UND has done a mediocre job of marketing their programs over the years. I am sure a lot of people don't even know that program even exists. If they don't know it even exists, they won't listen to it.

Your closing comment "I don't like it, but that is just how it is I'm afraid." is sad commentary on how far we have fallen. We are becoming the University of Grand Forks, while FU is taking over the state of North Dakota (thus, living up to the first two words in their name: NORTH DAKOTA State University). We just cannot accept playing second-fiddle to FU as "how it is". We need to think outside the box on this or we'll be left behind for the foreseeable future. I do not want that to happen.

And I am open to suggestions from people much smarter than me on this topic. Any takers?

I'm not the smartest one in the room - that appears to be you. There are so many holes in this rant I don't know where to start. But there are enough pissing matches going on in every thread I'm going to pass. Just back away from the ledge - it's not as bad as it seems to you.

740 The Fan and 101.9 are both owned by the same company that owns KFGO.

While not unheard of, it would seem unlikely that they'd both ever end up on the same Fargo station. If they did, it would have to be KFGO because they are the only one that has enough stations. But I doubt the FU flagship would ever also be a UND affiliate. In Bismarck, Clear Channel carries both on its family of stations, but again, they are an affiliate to both networks.

It will be interesting to see how hard WDAY goes after NDSU rights when their deal with KFGO is up. Forum Comm treats radio like a red-headed stepchild, for some unknown reason. But they had the TV and Radio rights to NDSU for like 60 years. It was a big loss for them. Forum Comm recently got the TV rights to ND high school athletics, and they've been putting more emphasis on broadcasting live local sports recently than ever before.

1100 The Flag would be the only 3rd option. They have a huge daytime signal, but it is crappy at night, and they are not as well known. I'm sure Hennen would love to have Sioux sports on his station though.

Hennen does not have the money to bid on it. He also does not have a great track record with UND from working with Dave Norman.

I'm not the smartest one in the room - that appears to be you. There are so many holes in this rant I don't know where to start. But there are enough pissing matches going on in every thread I'm going to pass. Just back away from the ledge - it's not as bad as it seems to you.

I never said this, you did. Don't put words into my mouth. :glare:

And if there are "so many holes in this rant", why are you afraid to list them? This is a Discussion Forum, we discuss things here. Otherwise, there is no point in having a Discussion Forum. But it's also not the "Everything is fine the way it is, have some more green Kool-Aid" Forum either. Everything I do is aimed at making UND better. I care deeply about this institution and when I see problems, I want to draw some attention to them and fix them. And if somebody has a solution the rest of us haven't thought of, I would like to hear it.

But you wanted to keep Mussman in charge of UND Football, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised at your response. :silly: