SiouxSports.com Forum

Radio

choyt3

I am not saying it wasn't a business decision. I am saying UND should have played hardball and outmaneuvered FU. They wouldn't hesitate to stab us in the back; why are we always the fair-haired boy in this state? It's time to drop the gloves and fight for once.

The reason nobody calls the UND coaches show is because UND has done a mediocre job of marketing their programs over the years. I am sure a lot of people don't even know that program even exists. If they don't know it even exists, they won't listen to it.

Your closing comment "I don't like it, but that is just how it is I'm afraid." is sad commentary on how far we have fallen. We are becoming the University of Grand Forks, while FU is taking over the state of North Dakota (thus, living up to the first two words in their name: NORTH DAKOTA State University). We just cannot accept playing second-fiddle to FU as "how it is". We need to think outside the box on this or we'll be left behind for the foreseeable future. I do not want that to happen.

And I am open to suggestions from people much smarter than me on this topic. Any takers?

We will always play second fiddle to NDSU in the Fargo market. UND shouldn't spend the resources to "outmaneuver" them in Fargo because it is a pointless endeavor. And you're having a complete overreaction on the rest. Is NDSU popular right now? Without a doubt. Winning 3 championships in a row will do that for a team.

Don't disagree that they need to work on the marketing of some of their programs and I think they have taken some steps in the direction in the last year or two. All UND conference games for football, men's basketball, women's basektball and volleyball are available for FREE to anyone with an internet connection. NDSU can't even come close in comparison to that outside of football.

We will always play second fiddle to NDSU in the Fargo market. UND shouldn't spend the resources to "outmaneuver" them in Fargo because it is a pointless endeavor. And you're having a complete overreaction on the rest. Is NDSU popular right now? Without a doubt. Winning 3 championships in a row will do that for a team.

Don't disagree that they need to work on the marketing of some of their programs and I think they have taken some steps in the direction in the last year or two. All UND conference games for football, men's basketball, women's basektball and volleyball are available for FREE to anyone with an internet connection. NDSU can't even come close in comparison to that outside of football.

Actually you can watch 75% of NDSU mens basketball games and all of the football games on free tv this year. Those are the two sports most people are interested in. And you don't even need an internet connection to watch the grainy Big Sky feed, just a television.

Actually you can watch 75% of NDSU mens basketball games and all of the football games on free tv this year. Those are the two sports most people are interested in. And you don't even need an internet connection to watch the grainy Big Sky feed, just a television.

How does that work for the majority of alumns that don't live within range of the free TV. Big Sky Network is sweet for those living outside the state.

I never said this, you did. Don't put words into my mouth. :glare:

And if there are "so many holes in this rant", why are you afraid to list them? This is a Discussion Forum, we discuss things here. Otherwise, there is no point in having a Discussion Forum. But it's also not the "Everything is fine the way it is, have some more green Kool-Aid" Forum either. Everything I do is aimed at making UND better. I care deeply about this institution and when I see problems, I want to draw some attention to them and fix them. And if somebody has a solution the rest of us haven't thought of, I would like to hear it.

But you wanted to keep Mussman in charge of UND Football, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised at your response. :silly:

Please show examples of when I said that Mussman should be kept in charge of UND football - you won't find any. You will find that what my opinion (which I am entitled to without ridicule) was that the UND administration could be trusted to make the right decisions and that I quesioned the value, benefit to UND and integrity behind a constant barrage of posts that called for a man's job, insulted student-athletes and questioned every move the UND adminstration was/wasn't making.

The rest just isn't worth the time. I challenge you to go one week without a negative post.

• Upvote 2

On a side note does anyone know when the contract with Fox College Sports ends? I can't wait to get Midco (they are adding customers this year ) here in Fargo, so the games I get to see is on FCS. So its a great alternative while I have the evil Cable One.

On a side note does anyone know when the contract with Fox College Sports ends? I can't wait to get Midco (they are adding customers this year ) here in Fargo, so the games I get to see is on FCS. So its a great alternative while I have the evil Cable One.

I thought I saw somewhere that they extended the FCS contract to end with the Midco contract.

It will be interesting to see how hard WDAY goes after NDSU rights when their deal with KFGO is up. Forum Comm treats radio like a red-headed stepchild, for some unknown reason. But they had the TV and Radio rights to NDSU for like 60 years. It was a big loss for them. Forum Comm recently got the TV rights to ND high school athletics, and they've been putting more emphasis on broadcasting live local sports recently than ever before.

This is awesome that the Reiten family has stepped it up and taken the NBC ND sports monopoly on. The only bad thing is that we now have to put up with the worst sports director in western ND Tia Streeter. She is atrocious.

The nice thing about WDAY is it gets a basketball, volleyball, and/or women's hockey game on in Fargo every once in awhile. They also carry the coaches show each week. KFGO never did any of that.

WDAY has been a good partner, but I do wish Dom Izzo would have a UND guy on his nightly show once in awhile, other than just the 10 minutes a week he gives Schlossman.

Cristopher Gabriel has always had Mussman on the Friday before and Monday after a game.

But again, this is a Fargo station, so I don't expect a ton of talk about a Grand Forks school. That's why I am intrigued by the idea of KNOX being the flagship. The flagship produces the games, UND is the one who builds the network.

You are correct. This past Friday night was a perfect example, I was east of Moorhead and was able to listen to the Women's Hockey game on WDAY. Years ago when UND had their agreement with KFGO, the only things they ran was Men's Hockey and Football. This year when I've been off working I've heard Volleyball, a number of basketball games and some women's hockey in addition to Men's Hockey and Football. To me WDAY has been a far better partner as far as exposure is concerned.

Couple of things to clarify... The Minot and Dickinson markets as well as the Bismarck market are all on Clear Channel stations. I will slightly disagree with you affinity for KNOX. I actually enjoy listening to games in FM Stereo on 96.1 FM and 100.3 FM. I think it sounds good.

I'm pretty sure UND now, sells all of their radio as well as builds it's affiliates. I believe they made this change a few years ago, just can't remember when.

I guess the only other question I would like to pose is, I know UND has an affiliate in Fargo (WDAY)- I know that some on here are upset that they are upset that Dom Izzo is in love with that team down there. But it is what it is, I can understand why they do what they do because as a business they have to compete in that market and unfortunately they are a story in that market and that would be a stupid business decision to ignore that....but who is the Grand Forks affiliate for NDSU? Do they have one? While we have at the very least a great deal of broadcasts on a Fargo station- what kind of coverage does NDSU get in Grand Forks?

I am sick and tired of hearing all this "Fargo market, Fargo station" crap. We have a lot of alums that live in the Imperial Cass-Clay County Megalopolis (a fact that drives FU fans crazy) that have ZERO interest in the almighty Bison and are still 1000% loyal to UND athletics (and everything else for that matter). I guess those consumers somehow don't count and don't buy goods and services. Yeah, and the Vikings will win the Super Bowl next year. :silly:

We have been outmaneuvered by FU for 5 years in getting our product on the air in places that affect recruiting, fan interest, sponsorships and so on. When KFGO was talking with NDSU about a contract, I would have went behind FU's back and offered whatever it took to lock up KFGO for as long as possible. Then FU would have had to go crawling back to WDAY; whom they had just finished having a major falling out with. But no, we just sat on our hands and did nothing. Then, I had to listen to all the talking heads on KFGO blather on and on about "This is where the BISON play". :angry: FU gets continuous media coverage and hype, while we are an afterthought (a.k.a. "That OTHER school in North Dakota). And if you think that doesn't negatively effect recruiting to a certain extent, then you are kidding yourselves.

If it's going to be all about FU being in a bigger media market, then God help us in the future when we do win championships at a national level (I am confident we will get back to that level again....and soon). We'll get a brief mention on KFGO, a little more time on WDAY.....and then it will be back to talking about Saul Phillips and his "Slummit League" Men's Basketball team and their latest "big-time" match-up with IUPUIFW or whatever other two-bit schools they have in that hodge-podge, way-station conference of theirs. Of course, I'll be told that I don't know what I am talking about (again), but to paraphrase Jack Nicholson from "A Few Good Men": "Some people can't handle the truth". ;)

End rant. Have a great Friday. :)

I feel your pain. The problem isn't WDAY. They are fulfulling their contractual responsibilities (to UND) and serving their larger business needs in their core market (NDSU coverage). The significance of UND fans in Fargo is overstated. Fargo media would be happy to cash in on that cash cow if it gave the milk some folks on this board seems to think it has. Compared to what they get from wall to wall bison coverage (outside of contractual obligations to UND) it just doesn't pay.

That being said, UND needs to cultivate UND evangelists through all media outlets-TV, radio, web, social-throughout the state. People that are willing to hype UND athletics with passion and enthusiasm to the public This type of infrastructure should have been in the cultivation process throughout the transition. Build people like that in every market throughout the state and they will build a loyal following. However, it must start in Grand Forks. If you don't have regional media in your home base that is setting the standard, you've got a problem.

I will slightly disagree with you affinity for KNOX. I actually enjoy listening to games in FM Stereo on 96.1 FM and 100.3 FM. I think it sounds good.

The only reason I am interested in the idea of KNOX being the flagship is because they are the closest thing that Grand Forks has to a heritage talk station like WDAY and KFGO. Meaning they have a good daytime signal and all local talk shows during the day, so they could get more random radio discussion going during the week. Right now all you get for local talk is Tim & Swyg and all they do is briefly read press releases from UND and articles out of the Herald.

I also like the FM broadcasts. I actually live closer to Devils Lake and Jamestown than Grand Forks, so I normally listen to games on either 102.5 or 103.1. If Leighton were the flagship, they'd almost certainly have to use 97.1 KYCK as well as 1310 KNOX for broadcasting games.

In the end I think it is wishful thinking on my part. It seems Leighton either doesn't have or is unwilling to invest the dollars to compete with Clear Channel for UND Sports.

I just think the key to getting more random talk is a talk station in Grand Forks being affiliated with the University.