SiouxSports.com Forum

Dakota Student Editor Resigns After Arrest

smokey the cat

Dakota Student writer here. I have to question what this blog is meant for. I for one am disappointed to be seeing this issue on here, and hope to see this deleted from the sports page. It is one thing to disagree with the actions of a person you looked up to, but it is another to bring it onto a page with no relation to the subject.

It is even more funny now. http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/carrie-sandstrom-help-students-decide-have-fun-and-stay-safe

This is called the community thread which means you talk about the community. It is not a sports page. Different community issues are discussed along with happenings at UND. If you have such an issue with it I suggest a new career path. It is news and sometimes news hits close to home. If you can not be objective and see that you are not a journalist. You are a writer. Answer me this then. Is the Herald being objective running this story when you consider that her grandmother writes for the Herald and has for years. Or that her grandfather was the editor of the Herald for years. Do you not think that they did not give Marilyn a heads up that they were going to run this story and she would have said do it. Do you not think that her grandfather would have said the same thing? Ask a professor this tomorrow and show them this site and see what they say. I bet they will agree with me and not you.

I also, as I said before, do not think she should have resigned. It has nothing to do with her job. In fact she could have done a great story on her actions and the consequences.

Is the Herald being objective running this story when you consider that her grandmother writes for the Herald and has for years. Or that her grandfather was the editor of the Herald for years. Do you not think that they did not give Marilyn a heads up that they were going to run this story and she would have said do it. Do you not think that her grandfather would have said the same thing?

I had no idea who her parents and grandparents are until you pointed it out. Did the Herald make it a point to mention Danny Kristo's or Matt Frattin's parents when details of their encounters with campus police made headlines? Nope. You made it a point and did some research yourself...why? To sensationalize the story further?

I had no idea who her parents and grandparents are until you pointed it out. Did the Herald make it a point to mention Danny Kristo's or Matt Frattin's parents when details of their encounters with campus police made headlines? Nope. You made it a point and did some research yourself...why? To sensationalize the story further?

Actually I remembered who she was right away. Her grandmother has been including her in her reviews for at least 15 years. You do not find it ironic that a daughter of a District Judge and a Supreme Court Justice daughter gets arrested? Can you honestly say if someone else had started this thread you would have reacted the same way? You also have not been reading the GF Herald for 40 years either. Or the DS for 30 years.

http://www.grandfork...e. Oops. This is called the community page for a reason on a website dedicated to the University of North Dakota. Since you seem to have an issue I suggest you rethink journalism since one day you might have to write a story about a friend. You are not being an objective journalist. Ask a professor tomorrow about this and see what they say. Your professor will agree with me. Answer this for me then. Why did the Herald run the story? Her grand mother writes for the Herald and has for years. Her grandfather was the editor of the Herald for years. Why? Because they were being objective journalists. As I said before she should not have resigned. I see no relationship between her indiscretions and her job. She could have written a great wake-up story for other kids. She could have made something good come of this. I still find it funny.

Nice straw-man. The poster said they don't understand why it's posted here and you attack their journalistic integrity? The poster never said they had an issue with an article being written just you posting it here. That has nothing to do with being an objective journalist and everything about you just trying to pick a fight, as usual.

Nice straw-man. The poster said they don't understand why it's posted here and you attack their journalistic integrity? The poster never said they had an issue with an article being written just you posting it here. That has nothing to do with being an objective journalist and everything about you just trying to pick a fight, as usual.

Yes I did call his journalist integrity into it. Follow along now. He states he is a writer for the DS. The DS prints stories that might offend someone because the story is about their friend. He will write and print it because he is a newspaper writer and it is his job. By complaining when someone posts here about their friend on a community thread his journalist integrity can be questioned. I can overlook it from him though. He is a young kid who just found out someone that he respects has faults like all of us. Right now you are not trying to pick a fight with me?

There's a difference between journalism and muckraking. She's a 19 year old girl for God's sake. Get a life.

A 19 year old girl in the public eye. A 19 year old girl that has been saying something totally different than who she is. A 19 year old girl who is the daughter of prominent North Dakotans. The 19 year old granddaughter of two public figures. Why are you not questioning the Herald for running the story? They found it newsworthy, as it is for the reasons I have stated, to print. Printed even though her grandmother writes for the Herald. Her grandfather was the editor of the Herald. Are you going to call Tom Dennis tomorrow and complain?

Can not help but laugh at this. http://www.grandfork...rrest Drinking underage, swears at the cop trying to talk to her. The reason this is so funny is she was the Students Against Drunk Drivers student of the year. She is on the SADD Student Leadership Council. Mother is a sitting District Judge in Bismarck. Dad is on the North Dakota Supreme Court. Oh yeah and last but not least she is the granddaughter of our favorite restaurant reviewer Marilyn Hagerty. I wonder if she tired telling the cop that he was going to be in trouble because of who she is? At least she wasn't driving.

Yeah, this hilarious...grow up.

Have you and many others here made a point to mention Simpson's dad? Tabellini's dad? Luke Johnson's pedigree? Aaron Ness's dad? Now tell me the difference?

Cops apparently had nothing better to do than !@#$ up people lives over petty bull$%!#. Oh god an adult is drunk lets everyone freak out over that massive indiscretion.

Why would we sell weapons to Iran? Are we moving away from this administration's policy of giving them away to drug cartels in Mexico?

If our own government doesn't care why four Americans were killed a year ago in Libya, why is this poor college girl's mistake making headline news? Because it's more fun to laugh at the troubles of people in 'high places'? Why not a post about Anthony Weiner's latest sex-capade or Eliot Spitzer meeting the parents of his 20-something girlfriend? Your post alerting everyone here of your 'breaking news' was pure trash.

there has already been a conclusive investigation into Bengazi and operational changes as a result. Ignoring the stupidity of the OP, you can't seriously be unaware of Iran Contra, right? You know that thing where in exchange for not releasing the hostages before the election, Reagan agreed to illegally sell Iran arms which he then funneled to a narco-terrorist groups that slaughtered thousands of people, right?

There's a difference between journalism and muckraking. She's a 19 year old girl for God's sake. Get a life.

I don't think you know what muckracking means.

Have you and many others here made a point to mention Simpson's dad? Tabellini's dad? Luke Johnson's pedigree? Aaron Ness's dad? Now tell me the difference?

I have never ever mentioned Simpson's dad or any other player parents in any post anywhere on this site ever. Talk about just throwing a charge out there. You pretend to know a lot about journalism - I'll await the retraction of your statement.

Here is the story within the story - it appears the GF Herald has pulled the story - at least from the online paper. Isn't this thread a reflection of people enjoying when someone who was raised with a silver spoon in their mouth makes a mistake? Who doesn't enjoy it when Paris Hilton does something stupid. Young adults make mistakes - if they have grown up in a spotight it makes the news. You just have to hope the mistakes aren't so big they can't overcome them. I do think this situtation, while not funny, is a great example of irony. Wonder if it will make the AP - that might be why the Herald pulled it (which since I can't find it on their website I am assuming happened) - to prevent further publicity.

Okay this is a little dark humor but I'm thinking Grandma Marilyn is not going to invite her on the Eat Beat anytime soon or perhaps she will start referring to her as DG, for drunk granddaughter in her columns.

It's still on their site in the news/local section.

With that said I don't find this so called story news. Drinking/minor charges are handed out every day and don't make it to the herald or this site. In many cases the young adult charged has a job (maybe not at the Dakota student) and they have family members (living in a small community you know someone that knows someone that knows them).

Big deal. She shouldn't have resigned from the ds.

It is news. It is ironic. But, all the information has been made public, as it should. We don't bury our heads in the sand like those 90 miles south.

This young lady accepted a job and the honors that went with it at a UND institution, the Dakota Student. She blew it. These are the consequences.

I don't find it funny, I find it very sad for the young lady and her family. But, they have put themselves in a public position and like I said before, these are the consequences.

Can not help but laugh at this. http://www.grandfork...rrest Drinking underage, swears at the cop trying to talk to her. The reason this is so funny is she was the Students Against Drunk Drivers student of the year. She is on the SADD Student Leadership Council. Mother is a sitting District Judge in Bismarck. Dad is on the North Dakota Supreme Court. Oh yeah and last but not least she is the granddaughter of our favorite restaurant reviewer Marilyn Hagerty. I wonder if she tired telling the cop that he was going to be in trouble because of who she is? At least she wasn't driving.

Ok....slightly humorous.

Well, it could have been worse. She could have been raped or even killed by a cop impersonator, which the latter occurred on the UMTC recently. I see these charges getting thrown or greatly reduced. This story is not funny, nor ironic. Those who think so are mentally and socially unstable.

• Upvote 2

So if I am just walking on the sidewalk the police can stop and question me and I have to allow it? Perhaps it's because she appeared to be a minor that it changes the sitatuion - however that would be considered "Age profiling" in the politically correct world. Unless she was doing something illegal how could the police stop her from walking?

So if I am just walking on the sidewalk the police can stop and question me and I have to allow it? Perhaps it's because she appeared to be a minor that it changes the sitatuion - however that would be considered "Age profiling" in the politically correct world. Unless she was doing something illegal how could the police stop her from walking?

And if this poor girl was found in a snowbank eight hours later with a severe case of frostbite, the cop who drove by but didn't stop would be skewered in today's newspaper. Damned if you do...damned if you don't...

• Upvote 1

Here is the story within the story - it appears the GF Herald has pulled the story - at least from the online paper. Isn't this thread a reflection of people enjoying when someone who was raised with a silver spoon in their mouth makes a mistake? Who doesn't enjoy it when Paris Hilton does something stupid. Young adults make mistakes - if they have grown up in a spotight it makes the news. You just have to hope the mistakes aren't so big they can't overcome them. I do think this situtation, while not funny, is a great example of irony. Wonder if it will make the AP - that might be why the Herald pulled it (which since I can't find it on their website I am assuming happened) - to prevent further publicity.

Okay this is a little dark humor but I'm thinking Grandma Marilyn is not going to invite her on the Eat Beat anytime soon or perhaps she will start referring to her as DG, for drunk granddaughter in her columns.

They have not pulled the story. You have to go to the bottom of the news page and keep clicking older.

I have never ever mentioned Simpson's dad or any other player parents in any post anywhere on this site ever. Talk about just throwing a charge out there. You pretend to know a lot about journalism - I'll await the retraction of your statement.

I did not say that you did. I asked if you or anyone here had? Since many have my ending statement is fact.

Well, it could have been worse. She could have been raped or even killed by a cop impersonator, which the latter occurred on the UMTC recently. I see these charges getting thrown or greatly reduced. This story is not funny, nor ironic. Those who think so are mentally and socially unstable.

Sure it is. If you can't see that open your eyes.