SiouxSports.com Forum

The Day After "The Debacle": UND vs Simon Fraser

brianvf

Just guessing but I bet if Ralph were alive he would be more than a little disappointed in his return on investment.....no new banners and no fighting Sioux nickname.

From "the harder I work, the luckier I get" to "the more I donate, the more I expect as a return on my investment"?

My girlfriend and I attended the games this weekend. Here are some of my observations:

-Ice totally sucked. Puck skipped around; ice appeared soft. I spoke to Gary Valk at intermission and he said that he freezes pucks prior to his ten-year-old's games when they play at that arena, the ice is so bad. This is not an excuse for UND's poor play as both opponents played on the same ice, it's just an observation.

-Enjoyed meeting Steve Peters and Gary Valk. Very nice guys. Valk dropped ceremonial puck at Saturday game.

-Enjoyed a Clan fan who stood directly behind UND bench and heckled the players. He truly loves his Clan!

-No video boards so no benefit of seeing replay but I thought that the penalty called late in Friday's game that led to BC's pp goal was questionable. Also, there was a slash or trip by SFU on one of our guys with under a minute to play that went uncalled. That said, we took some very undeciplined penalties this weekend.

-SFU and BC players came upstairs and signed autographs. Very nice guys, were very impressed with UND fan turnout. SFU guys said they had a blast playing us and were all smiles despite losing the game.

-Refs looked barely old enough to shave. Seriously, the three of them looked younger than UND's players. Not a criticism, just an observation.

-SFU and BC fans were really nice and gracious. We are glad we went and we very much enjoyed our time in Seattle and Vancouver.