SiouxSports.com Forum

Does it bother anybody else?

IrishSiouxFan

Exactly....UND football was carried on one of the radio stations in Dickinson to start the season but then it changed to your home of Bison football....midseason. We are light years behind NDSU in the athletic department.

Because our FCS football program isn't as good as theirs? Palease....doesn't our hockey program alone bring in more money than all their sports combined? I could be wrong on this. Either way...you get outside of this area and nobody knows who NDSU is unless you are die hard college football fan. I travel for work and everyone I meet and chat sports with still thinks UND has this awesome d2 football program and great hockey program. I have to remind them that NDSU has the football program (latest response I got was "yeah whatever same thing")

...you get outside of this area and nobody knows who NDSU is unless you are die hard college football fan. I travel for work and everyone I meet and chat sports with still thinks UND has this awesome d2 football program and great hockey program. I have to remind them that NDSU has the football program (latest response I got was "yeah whatever same thing")

I don't know who you're talking to in the Dickinson area then...

Because our FCS football program isn't as good as theirs? Palease....doesn't our hockey program alone bring in more money than all their sports combined? I could be wrong on this. Either way...you get outside of this area and nobody knows who NDSU is unless you are die hard college football fan. I travel for work and everyone I meet and chat sports with still thinks UND has this awesome d2 football program and great hockey program. I have to remind them that NDSU has the football program (latest response I got was "yeah whatever same thing")

What area are you referring to?

In my lifetime I have noticed that NDSU has a huge following within the Fargo/Moorhead area while UND has a huge following across the entire state of North Dakota. I can't help but notice that with NDSU's recent success in Division I-AA football combined with UND's removal of the Fighting Sioux nickname things are starting to even out now as far as popularity statewide.

I seriously doubt having the nickname removed caused people to switch allegiances. Statewide broadcast for football has probably helped NDSU out quite a bit.

I can't help but notice that with NDSU's recent success in Division I-AA football combined with UND's removal of the Fighting Sioux nickname things are starting to even out now as far as popularity statewide.

I seem to recall back in the mid 1990's that Vikings football on the radio was either a) replaced by Packer football broadcasts or b) stations went from broadcasting both teams' games when they weren't being played at the same time.

It's all about supply and demand...there's not much demand to hear a team getting pounded by 50 points a game. There is a demand to hear a team that has won multiple national championships.

NDSU stopped advertising heavily a few years ago because they were over capacity. With some recent projects being completed and a couple new building going up I think they are going to pursue some modest expansion.

Ndsu giving out double the $$ in tuition waivers compared to UND is a fact. Why are you trying to change the subject?

most of which went to grad student, who tend to get them. also the reason NDSU had so many waivers was largely because of it's graduate programs. NDSU's grad student mix is much more STEM heavy, and those spots get waivers pretty much everywhere, including UND. The other major contributor was, IIRC, was a different setup for need based aid, which exploded starting in 2008.

most of which went to grad student, who tend to get them. also the reason NDSU had so many waivers was largely because of it's graduate programs. NDSU's grad student mix is much more STEM heavy, and those spots get waivers pretty much everywhere, including UND. The other major contributor was, IIRC, was a different setup for need based aid, which exploded starting in 2008.

Ndsu gave $3.7 million in tuition waivers to international students, while UND gave $550k to international students. Institutional waivers was $2.3 million for ndsu and $2.6 million for UND.

Ndsu gave $3.7 million in tuition waivers to international students, while UND gave $550k to international students. Institutional waivers was $2.3 million for ndsu and $2.6 million for UND.

never saw that figure before. I'd be interested to see what programs those kids were in, not that I ever will.

never saw that figure before. I'd be interested to see what programs those kids were in, not that I ever will.

Well, the international students at the University of Agriculture and Applied Science were taking advance goat herding technique courses.

At the University of North Dakota, petroleum engineering.

You're probably still at least partially right about the grad asst waiver statement. Ndsu's graduate STEM/research programs are full of "students" recruited from the Middle East and SE Asia. They should probably categorize those waivers as something other than "international" waivers in the future to save themselves a headache. It's strange that the self-declared STEM school doesn't produce STEM graduates capable of doing STEM graduate research work and they have to import their researchers from across the world at great cost to the ND taxpayer.

You're probably still at least partially right about the grad asst waiver statement. Ndsu's graduate STEM/research programs are full of "students" recruited from the Middle East and SE Asia. They should probably categorize those waivers as something other than "international" waivers in the future to save themselves a headache. It's strange that the self-declared STEM school doesn't produce STEM graduates capable of doing STEM graduate research work and they have to import their researchers from across the world at great cost to the ND taxpayer.

Don't really care too much where the people come from as long as they are being productive for NDSU.