SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote For Hobey Phase 2

jloos

Vote Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but phase 2 voting is now up. BB, ZP, DS, BM, AS, and JP are all on it.

What are Brandon's chances? The HB award is not based strictly on on-ice performance. My question is how much does his "playing US treasury" hurt his chances? Personally I don't think it should be a factor being that it happened before college and he has not been in trouble since. Unfortunately I see it as a reason for those voting not to choose him.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vote Not sure if anyone posted this yet, but phase 2 voting is now up. BB, ZP, DS, BM, AS, and JP are all on it.

What are Brandon's chances? The HB award is not based strictly on on-ice performance. My question is how much does his "playing US treasury" hurt his chances? Personally I don't think it should be a factor being that it happened before college and he has not been in trouble since. Unfortunately I see it as a reason for those voting not to choose him.

Voted.

Had trouble voting for 3rd choice.

In my opinion, his chances are moreso effected by the fact that he plays for UND (speaking from a historical perspective) than because of his past indiscretions.

I haven't heard Blais mention anyone other than Bo as our Hobey contender. On points alone, he should get the award but I thought the same thing about Jeff Panzer. And, yeah, I still carry a grudge against Lucia Pet for voting for Miller instead of Jeffy.

I find it odd that Dean keeps saying that UND is pushing Parise for Hobey. I'm sure they sent some press packets out on Parise, but couldn't they do the same for Bo? Or is UND hyping both of them?

I think ZP is more 'media friendly'. He has great poise for a kid his age. Not many 19 year old college athletes interview as well as he does. That said, I think BB also interviews well. Let's face it though, the Hobey is basically a popularity contest. The UND higher-ups know this and also know ZP has a better shot at winning. For some reason the East coast preppy types seem to have a leg up. With all the SSM players, maybe Sioux players will start attracting the attention of the East coast snobbery.

You find it odd that UND is pushing one of the best all-around college hockey players in the country for the hobey?

I don't!

I've heard Blais say this multiple times the past couple weeks. He said it during one of the coaches shows I believe and also mentioned it pregame this or last weekend. I don't have a problem pushing Parise, but up to this point Bo has had a better season. The hobey isn't supposed to be about who has the most talent, it's who had the best year. So far Bo is the one leading this team and he stepped up while Parise was gone (again). I get the feeling that Parise will be helped due to the world juniors. But he won't beat out some goalie from out east. Proving the voters wrong that were worried that Ryan Miller would be the last goalie good enough to ever win the award again.

In the interviews and such that I've heard, I interpret it differently. Never has Blais mentioned that Bochenski will not get his backing. In fact, he's put it quite to the contrary, stating that he is probably the best candidate right now in the nation.

The references that I've heard about Parise is that if he wants to seriously contend for the HB, he needs to start scoring some points.

Never have I heard him say anything to make me believe that Parise is his "choice" for the Hobey. Have I missed something in the coaches show? :)

Have I missed something in the coaches show? :)

No. Blais said something over the weekend about promoting Parise for the Hobey, but I can't remember the exact context. It seemed to me that the statement was made in the past tense. All the recent statements I've heard from Blais indicate that he believes Bochenski is the most deserving Hobey candidate at this point of the season.

My question is how much does his "playing US treasury" hurt his chances?

Lets hope they keep the past in the past. :)

The Hobey Baker Award represents more than just the top on-ice performer. Award criteria include strength of character on and off the ice along with scholastic achievements and sportsmanship

If BC could get three of their clowns named as finalists, I should think it not out of the realm of possibility that really quality players like Bo and Zach could also be co-finalists. And what about Matt Jones? IMHO, he's the best defensemen I've seen in college hockey this year and it doesn't appear as if he's even made it to phase 2 (from an earlier post on this thread, I haven't actually checked the site).

And what about Matt Jones?  IMHO, he's the best defensemen I've seen in college hockey this year and it doesn't appear as if he's even made it to phase 2 (from an earlier post on this thread, I haven't actually checked the site).

He is there, way at the bottom.

Come on everyone, Bochenski is still listed in 2nd place behind Ross. Although it's hard to tell since the standings button doesn't work. Looks like Ehgoetz from Niagara is now tied with Bo for the national points lead.

Make your voice count.

http://www.hobeybaker.com/vfh/

How do you know where they are ranked, when the standings thing doesn't work? ???

Come on everyone, Bochenski is still listed in 2nd place behind Ross. Although it's hard to tell since the standings button doesn't work. Looks like Ehgoetz from Niagara is now tied with Bo for the national points lead.

Make your voice count.

http://www.hobeybaker.com/vfh/

If Booooooooooooochenskiiiiiiiiiiiii finishes the year strong and every other candidate is status quo....it would be a crime for him not to be the favorite. I definitely see another hat trick weekend soon.