SiouxSports.com Forum

Pro Hockey Poll

MDtoGF

Pro Hockey in Grand forks (full disclosure: this is a poll that will be used for a class project I have, if you are ok with me using comments please let me know and i will give you proper attribution)   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Given current resources which league (team in a league) do you think Grand Forks could support?

• AHL
    • ECHL
    • CHL
    • Canadian Major Junior Hockey
    • USHL
    • Other
  2. 2. If the NHL were to expand to Seattle, given an investment from Seattle, could Grand Forks support an AHL or ECHL affiliate?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure/No Opinion
  3. 3. Which of these one time hockey events would you pay to see at the Ralph?

• Wild Preseason Game
    • Jets Preseason Game
    • Wild Practice
    • USHL Game
    • World Juniors
    • Ivan Hlinka Tournament

If the UND hockey team were ever to evaporate I think Grand Forks could support any of those as there is a big hockey culture.

But with UND already having hockey I think the population wouldn't support it as there are way to many ticket options. Look up star2citys thread about UND already can claim the most spectators watching its sports among similar schools (FCS).

Here's the link

http://forum.siouxsp...r-at-fcs-level/

350,000 tickets are sold to watch a sports event in Grand Forks in a year. I don't think that leaves much time and money for another successful hockey team.

UND hockey also takes up a large portion of the available sponsorship dollars available in the Grand Forks area. I don't know how much more is available for another program.

If fans took their money/time/interest to follow another program, sponsorships would follow. Have any of you been to a few other of these types of hockey games?(ahl,echl,Canadian juniors)? Und hockey is an excellent product and these other leagues may not put as great of a product on the ice, but it's a much more laid back environment and in most cases much more affordable to attend. And teams at these levels still make money. I think another team could do well but would also put a dent into und's following.

The mission of the Ralph Engelstad Arena, as set up by Ralph himself, is to support the University of North Dakota hockey program and the University itself. REA wouldn't do anything to hurt UND athletics. So they wouldn't bring in another program that is going to take away financial support of the UND hockey team. They would only bring in another program if it will enhance or add to the financial bottom line.

The mission of the Ralph Engelstad Arena, as set up by Ralph himself, is to support the University of North Dakota hockey program and the University itself. REA wouldn't do anything to hurt UND athletics. So they wouldn't bring in another program that is going to take away financial support of the UND hockey team. They would only bring in another program if it will enhance or add to the financial bottom line.

Which league would have the best chance of that?

Which league would have the best chance of that?

Cratter is correct, a midget type program is about the only thing I could see being added. It would kind of be a feeder program for UND Hockey, and probably wouldn't need the financial resources that most of the others would. I don't know if there is enough available money left in the community to make it successful or not without a major sponsor, most of the midget teams seem to have a major sponsor attached to them.

Individual events like the ones you list are a different story. I have attended Wild preseason games at the Ralph and I was at most of the World Junior games at the Ralph. I think that any of those would have a chance to be successful and I would seriously consider attending any of them depending on price and conflicts.

Well I'd love a AHL team that could keep the Fighting Sioux name - if someone with deep pockets could bring in another good level of hockey - I think there is enough fans who would at least fill the lower bowl - Only way it would hurt UND is if the program there takes a dive - we have a huge hockey fan base & the facility that is awesome - I hope some folks with massive oil wealth eventually consider this

Well I'd love a AHL team that could keep the Fighting Sioux name - if someone with deep pockets could bring in another good level of hockey - I think there is enough fans who would at least fill the lower bowl - Only way it would hurt UND is if the program there takes a dive - we have a huge hockey fan base & the facility that is awesome - I hope some folks with massive oil wealth eventually consider this

Alright if i use this comment in my report?, You will be given proper credit if i end up using it.