SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

You thought 9 head coach interviews was a lot to sort through? With the generic requirements for the assistant coach position, to get some of the guys you want to hire, can you imagine how many applicants you would have to go through if it was open for over a month due to the point system they have to work through? The position closes on 12/30. Well under 2 weeks from when the new coach will be hired. Do I think it could have been posted a week sooner? Definitely. No clue why they waited to pull down the head coaching one before the assistant coaching one was put up.

I think a fair question to ask is why does the Assistant Coach position only need to be posted for 10 days rather than 15? Different categorization within the University?

Hmmm, not sure why this one has less of a posting requirement than the head coaching job. They really ought to put the hiring policies online. I thought North Dakota was all about transparency. :silly:

I think you're overestimating how many coaches would apply for an assistant coaching position at a school that has not yet named a head coach. But even if there were a lot, it would still take less time for HR to comb through them and assign them points than waiting out an additional two weeks it would take under the posting requirements. At least if there is even an ounce of urgency to getting the job done.

Monday December 23rd.....2 days before Christmas and one day before Christmas Eve, when the campus and GF are in a coma.

I wonder if there will even be any media around for the presser or if they have already made their Christmas travel plans? Can't say I would blame them.

Just a PR fail from start to finish. You have to be able to play the PR game. The propaganda machine to the south seems to understand this. Hard to argue with the results.

• Upvote 3

You thought 9 head coach interviews was a lot to sort through? With the generic requirements for the assistant coach position, to get some of the guys you want to hire, can you imagine how many applicants you would have to go through if it was open for over a month due to the point system they have to work through? The position closes on 12/30. Well under 2 weeks from when the new coach will be hired. Do I think it could have been posted a week sooner? Definitely. No clue why they waited to pull down the head coaching one before the assistant coaching one was put up.

I think a fair question to ask is why does the Assistant Coach position only need to be posted for 10 days rather than 15? Different categorization within the University?

A head coach "interviews" who he wants for the positions. It's different.

You have to be able to play the PR game. The propaganda machine to the south seems to understand this. Hard to argue with the results.

Well I believe they studied under this guy.

But seriously though, I'm not sure Grand Forks is ever as empty at any other time of the year as it is during Christmas break.

This program played in 2 DII title games a little over a decade ago...winning one, it's program history is rich, the facilities are good and are going to get better and this program needed a HC and yet it seamed like the postition was obviously not a desired destination by many...unless you were one that saw the inevitable train wreck at SIU. Has this program fallen that far in 11-13 years? Outside of Pflu, who I thought was the best candidate with head coaching experience, there wasn't really anyone that applied that gave me the "Wow' factor.

Wow... Well, there's that. I guess the intensity of this thread needed to be upped.

Yeah I'm just frustrated with UND right now so I decided to take a shot at Moo U to release some of that. They commonly refer to us as Nazis so I don't feel much guilt over it.

Monday December 23rd.....2 days before Christmas when the campus and GF are in a coma.

I wonder if there will even be any media around for the presser or if they have already made their Christmas travel plans? Can't say I would blame them.

Just a PR fail from start to finish. You have to be able to play the PR game. The propaganda machine to the south seems to understand this. Hard to argue with the results.

We still have #brickbybrick to fall back on............ :sad:

I'm not sure why I am posting, since no one seems to believe what I have to say anyway. ;)

But, if a position posted externally closes at 5pm, the soonest the HR department would have access to the applications to screen them would be the next day. Say there is ONE application, and it meets the criteria. Now, also assume that the HR department doesn't have anything else going on but reading the applications related to the position of football head coach. So, right away at 8am they screen the one application and forward that information to the athletic department. The athletic department would then make the decision to hire that person (or not) and return the documentation to the HR department. Assuming this is all done personally (someone walks the information from Twamley to Hyslop and then back again to Twamley), that could MAYBE be done in a business day. Now, there also needs to be a determination that no discrimination occurred in the process and that the background check is cleared. This can add a day (possibly two, depending on the company used for the background check). Once all of that is complete, then the athletics office can offer the position to someone. So, I suppose it would be possible to announce a hire on December 12 or 13, but the scenario I listed above obviously didn't happen.

I honestly don't know why the assistant coach position could be posted for less days...maybe it is due to the banding that the position falls under.

I really expected the coach named (or at least one of the finalists) would be someone not initially thrown around on this board. I would be curious to see the names of the other seven that made the screening...

• Upvote 1

One more last question, then I'm done with my stupid questions. (yeah I know, there's only stupid people right? ??? )

Why isnt a finalist on campus today, tomorrow and/or Friday. Can't find a flight or what? I thought we had an aviation school or something like that?

You could have a presser on Friday like many on here had hoped and speculated about. Plus the other candidate who doesnt get hired can get on with his life and still be back at his other job hosting recruits over the weekend for Lennon at SIU.

Which is worse? A Friday December 20th presser, or a Monday December 23rd presser?

Why isnt a finalist on campus today, tomorrow and/or Friday. Can't find a flight or what? I thought we had an aviation school or something like that?

Which is worse? A Friday December 20th presser, or a Monday December 23rd presser?

That made my laugh...well played!

To your very last question(s)...I see where you are going but IMO they both suck but at least BF probably figured next Tuesday or Wednesday were not options. :huh:

One more last question, then I'm done with my stupid questions. (yeah I know, there's only stupid people right? ??? )

You could have a presser on Friday like many on here had hoped and speculated about. Plus the other candidate who doesnt get hired can get on with his life and still be back at his other job hosting recruits over the weekend for Lennon at SIU.

Well, for what it's worth, the press conference announcing Ralph Engelstad's $100 million gift was on the Friday of finals week in December 1998. I also recall a snowstorm that afternoon and evening. So if it's good enough for that, it's good enough for this. I really hope it's Friday and not Monday.