SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

I have no problem with Bubba being the next coach but I certainly would have problems with Pflugrad getting hired. Granted, no one will ever know exactly what transpired at UM, however we don't need someone that controversial here.

It's been stated before...if there was an actual problem with Pflugrad, the entire staff would have been let go...that didn't happen. He was a scapegoat, most people in Missoula will tell you that.

If true (no reason to believe not), the fact that Pflugrad got screened out before the final nine proves that there is much subjectivity to this process. It just discredits the whole thing. Hoping for a great outcome and looking forward to supporting the new guy. FWIW, I think the process should be subjective...but across the board, not only when there is perceived negative history.

All I'm saying is that if Pflugrad got screened out by bean counters in the HR Dept. before the app made it to people who know football, then that's criminal and UND will need to address it's hiring practices.

I am glad he got screened out, scapegoated or not, we don't need that kind of headache.

• Upvote 1

There is more to the job than football me it and that can't be ignored.

Then the process we are being led to believe that is in play here is really not the true process at all. Maybe there's "points deductions" for NCAA infractions that I'm missing? This ridiculous process is making everyone a bit punchy.

Yeah, we don't need a winner/recruiter who was shown the door because the president at UM needed to fire someone for the "alleged transgressions" of the QB. Let's bring in another Thomas/Lennon Rerun

Stop be so over dramatic. It is completely acceptable to pass on someone that was fired for being the coach of a program that went through that. UND NEED A fresh start both on and off the field and Pflugrad just has to much baggage.

Then the process we are being led to believe that is in play here is really not the true process at all. Maybe there's "points deductions" for NCAA infractions that I'm missing? This ridiculous process is making everyone a bit punchy.

There are certain automatic disqualifies in every hiring situation, whether he met one of them or not I have no idea.

I am glad he got screened out, scapegoated or not, we don't need that kind of headache.

Who would have thought UND having a winning football program would be a headache? I guess the hockey only people would maybe think that...

The more I analyze/correlate the on-the-field results and the expectations of some "supporters", the more I think mediocre is all UND football has to look forward to in the DI era. Possibly reasons why ex-associates, like Tibesar and Bollinger, don't even look twice at the job.

Hockey. Hockey. Hockey. Canada. Canada. Canada.

I'll save the rest until the actual hire is made. I digress.

• Upvote 2

Who would have thought UND having a winning football program would be a headache? I guess the hockey only people would maybe think that...

The more I analyze/correlate the on-the-field results and the expectations of some "supporters", the more I think mediocre is all UND football has to look forward to in the DI era. Possibly reasons why ex-associates, like Tibesar and Bollinger, don't even look twice at the job.

Tibesar wasn't interested because of his current position, had nothing to do with the current state of the program.

While I'm not sure what to think of the potential hire, the fact that Weber St. passed on Pflugard is more alarming than what happened at Montana. The guy was on his staff and they had a couple seasons to evaluate him. That is better than any interview. I wonder if Oxbow's sources mentioned anything about any follow up done on Pflugard.

I am on the record as saying I like Dewitt...that doesn't make me a 2nd rate fan because I don't support your guy, simply a difference of opinion.

Does the Athletic Director have any authority?? If the rumor that Pflugrad isn't even in the top 9 applicants after the HR's point system screening process, then the system is clearly flawed. Any rational person who looks at that list of applicants would definitely put Pflu in the top 5, and many of them would probably consider him the favorite. Can't Faison somehow manually override the HR's point system, and put Pflu in the mix of applicants that are going to interviewed?

I know HR is a very bureaucratic thing, but we aren't hiring a Wal-Mart cashier here, this is a football coach that could potentially make (or loose) this university a lot of money. I hope that our athletic department isn't basing the decision off of an HR point system alone, and that people who actually know how college football works, and what it takes to be competitive, have the ability to override an HR technicality.

Does the Athletic Director have any authority?? If the rumor that Pflugrad isn't even in the top 9 applicants after the HR's point system screening process, then the system is clearly flawed. Any rational person who looks at that list of applicants would definitely put Pflu in the top 5, and many of them would probably consider him the favorite. Can't Faison somehow manually override the HR's point system, and put Pflu in the mix of applicants that are going to interviewed?

I know HR is a very bureaucratic thing, but we aren't hiring a Wal-Mart cashier here, this is a football coach that could potentially make (or loose) this university a lot of money. I hope that our athletic department isn't basing the decision off of an HR point system alone, and that people who actually know how college football works, and what it takes to be competitive, have the ability to override an HR technicality.

Yes he has say and if he wants Pflugrad he could have hired him...There are always ways to get the guy you want. If he chooses someone else it isn't because of HR

• Upvote 1

Yes he has say and if he wants Pflugrad he could have hired him...There are always ways to get the guy you want. If he chooses someone else it isn't because of HR

And I would be okay with that. Obviously, the resume isn't what makes a good football coach. I trust Faison to make a good choice, might not be as fast as I was hoping, but I believe that he has made good hires in the past, and trust him to do it again.

Tibesar wasn't interested because of his current position, had nothing to do with the current state of the program.

While I'm not sure what to think of the potential hire, the fact that Weber St. passed on Pflugard is more alarming than what happened at Montana. The guy was on his staff and they had a couple seasons to evaluate him. That is better than any interview. I wonder if Oxbow's sources mentioned anything about any follow up done on Pflugard.

How do you know that's why Tibesar didn't take the position? Is that the same for Bollinger?

And Pflugrad was on Weber State's staff for only one year. Even though Weber didn't hire Pflugrad, they did hire a long-time Utah assistant with plenty of FBS experience. Thinking the coach they hired is more qualified than Pflugrad is perfectly rational.

However, hiring a FCS coordinator with no FBS experience is questionable.

I have no problem with Bubba being the next coach but I certainly would have problems with Pflugrad getting hired. Granted, no one will ever know exactly what transpired at UM, however we don't need someone that controversial here.

Politically Correct babble. What we don't need is a good old boy from the Lennon era.

• Upvote 2