SiouxSports.com Forum

The next coach of UND football is....

darell1976

And Saban just signed an extention on a contract that already paid him $5.6M per.

But in a duckies and bunnies world of some the chair of the department of Southern Culture is a bigger deal than a FB coach.

Not saying that's fair but...

You confuse money with what is important. Saban and other coaches get paid because people are willing to pay good money to watch the games. People don't pay to watch the Provost or the Dean of the Med School work, but I would say that those and many other positions are far more important in the real world than the football coach.

I'm not 100% sold on bubba abut his recruits did go on to have success. It's not sugar coating, it's based in results.

How do you know that subsequent success at UMD wasn't because of Bob Nielson, who now already has a head coaching job. Bottom line is Bubba was not at Duluth when they started winning titles.

• Upvote 2

Would that include background checks, previous criminal record checks, valid driver's license checks....little, petty, detailed stuff like that too?

The search committee doesn't handle any of those. As another poster discussed in an earlier post, those things are handled by HR as a part of their work. I'm not too sure that people in college athletics would consider academics, compliance and the rest as petty, detailed stuff. They are an important part of running a successful college program. I don't think the volleyball program thinks that valid driver's licenses are a petty thing any more either.

The search committee doesn't handle any of those. As another poster discussed in an earlier post, those things are handled by HR as a part of their work. I'm not too sure that people in college athletics would consider academics, compliance and the rest as petty, detailed stuff. They are an important part of running a successful college program. I don't think the volleyball program thinks that valid driver's licenses are a petty thing any more either.

You missed the point of my post.

And I know search committees don't handle those issues.

His way around the policy is to hire one of the coordinators. Promoting from within is much easier. If he can't get that done than he will probably have to follow the policy and they have a longer listing period than UND.

NDSU made a external hire for a soccer coach a few years ago.. the search lasted all of 10 days. I am not sure if these rules are as inflexible as some seem to think.

How do you know that subsequent success at UMD wasn't because of Bob Nielson, who now already has a head coaching job. Bottom line is Bubba was not at Duluth when they started winning titles.

So how many years do you give the new head coach to right the ship here?

You confuse money with what is important. Saban and other coaches get paid because people are willing to pay good money to watch the games. People don't pay to watch the Provost or the Dean of the Med School work, but I would say that those and many other positions are far more important in the real world than the football coach.

Not confused one bit and we will disagree on this...the University of Alabama, and lots of schools, are full of students that came to that school for one reason and one reason only and it isn't due to the Med school dean. That's the real world.

You missed the point of my post.

And I know search committees don't handle those issues.

I got your point. You think the decision should only be about football. Others disagree with you. There is a lot more to the job than just the 60 minutes that happen on a Saturday.

I think it will take a few years. Going to be tough with the extremely limited amount of time the new coach will have this year to effectively recruit. However, next year he should be able to get a good class together with everything back to normal, and a brand new IPF to show off. Give him 3-4 years so that he can have players that he actually recruited himself. I know it's not what people want to hear, and beyond some people's patience level, but anything sooner is simply unrealistic, in my opinion. This program is certainly in hole right now, but I really believe that with the right coach, the tools are definitely in place to build a solid program.

Not confused one bit and we will disagree on this...the University of Alabama, and lots of schools, are full of students that came to that school for one reason and one reason only and it isn't due to the Med school dean or about money. That's the real world.

That's why sports is considered a marketing tool, it attracts students and money from alumni. But the real job of the school is to educate those students. That's what makes those other positions important. And sports isn't the main reason that most students pick a school.

I've gone from very optimistic to extremely worried - Something about this process drives me nuts. Now I'm worried that we will end up with Bubba whose head coaching experience is average and who isn't lighting it up in his current job. We need to stop thinking like a small-town operation.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sold on Bubba as a head coach either. Decent coordinator, but I just don't feel he has "it" to be a head coach. Looking at UMD's records, Nielson had considerable success both before & after Bubba, while Bubba was mediocre at best.

If we go through this prolonged "nationwide search" to end up w/ Bubba Schweigert, I will be severely disappointed.

• Upvote 2

That's why sports is considered a marketing tool, it attracts students and money from alumni. But the real job of the school is to educate those students. That's what makes those other positions important. And sports isn't the main reason that most students pick a school.

I'll let you have the last word on this...as that would be the case regardless with you.

Back on topic...I'm still a Pflu guy with the apps that are in regardless of the HR points system.

I don't expect the program to compete for a conference title for a few years, but they shouldn't get blown out by conference opponents starting next season. Preventing blowouts against Big Sky teams is all about discipline and the mindset of the team. If the new coach is gonna right the ship, the first thing they need to take care of is the discipline and mindset (instill a winning one) of the team when they get here.

Not to be sexist but what do these women have as qualifications for knowing what a football coach needs to have to be qualified?

Irle is the Deputy Director of Athletics; Her day-to-day duties include departmental oversight of the compliance office, athletics academic services, strength and conditioning, sports medicine, Title IX policy and compliance, the summer school athletics aid and degree completion aid programs, and direct supervision of various sports assigned by the athletics director. Jeno is the Faculty Athletic Representative to the NCAA.

Hajdu oversees the athletics study center and is responsible for ensuring the academic success, eligibility and progress toward graduation of more than 400 student-athletes.

There is a lot more to having a successful athletic program than just a head coach, and that coach has to be able to work within the broader university structure.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sold on Bubba as a head coach either. Decent coordinator, but I just don't feel he has "it" to be a head coach. Looking at UMD's records, Nielson had considerable success both before & after Bubba, while Bubba was mediocre at best.

If we go through this prolonged "nationwide search" to end up w/ Bubba Schweigert, I will be severely disappointed.

A national search probably shouldn't end up with Bubba. He has had limited success as a head coach and FCS coordinator, and no FBS experience. The reason you conduct a national search is to find a qualified, experienced coach that doesn't necessarily have connections to UND.

I'm still holding out hope that a national SEARCH means Faison will go out and hire someone he knows through his network. But, I have a feeling, Bubba Schweigert will be the guy.

I know Im getting zero traction with this, but one of the applicants has his offense on TV today.

Army/Navy is on CBS.

Though, it hasnt looked good thus far!

If we brought the type of offense they run here I would be extremely disappointed. I know some people enjoy that type of offense but I don't want to see us only throw the ball five times a game.

I know this the story about the Madden gamer is old, however, I didn't know if anyone else saw the response that the athletics department gave him about formally applying before the deadline? In the email, the person from the athletic department said: "Please be sure that you apply in the formal designated manner through our Human Resources Office (online process) before the December 10thdeadline. Failure to do so will result in our inability to consider you as a candidate."

Does this mean that the rumor of a non-applicant being pursued is false? The story is here: http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2013/12/11/5202166/sb-nation-endorses-chris-mccomas-for-north-dakota-head-coach (scroll to the bottom for the athletics department reply).