SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux-gopher Week

jk

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could bump the page size down :D We bumped it up to 20 posts/pages as a reasonable contrast between page size/number of pages that will contain new posts for an average visitor. I think the default was 10 or 15.

Besides, I'm not sure quantity is an admirable goal :(

2 per page! ;):)

Nah, just fun to see the number of threads and posts being from a non-flaming web site like here and POI! Good hockey talk and not TOO much flamage!

WPoS

well, this thread has slowed WAY down...be lucky to hit 15 pages by game time...especially if you guys are coming down to watch...

WPoS

Gentlemen - My watch shows 30 hours until faceoff. Let the countdown begin. Yeah no doubt this is big. Kare11 in the cities had a little clip during last night's newscast about the series. The video was of the Sioux scoring in November from all angles on Minnesota and how big a series this is. I don't recall a local news channel here carrying (on a wednesday evening mind you) a bit about the upcoming Gopher series that weekend.

I would like to see the Sioux get off to better starts...It seems like they give up the first goal too often. They cannot expect to rely on third period dominance to win a national title. If they don't improve on the start there is a very good chance they will get beat in the playoffs.

I saw a stat durings Minnesota's games this weekend that they have scored first in a lot of games or that they win when they score first. Can't remember which. Any help?

I too have had the belief that it is better to lose a game or two before tourneys. I think winning streaks make you a bit too confident. It is always tough to sweep a team for the year and I get the strange feelings that these two teams will meet a few more times after this weekend.

I will be disappointed if the Sioux don't sweep. That doesn't have anything to do with the particulars of this weekend though. I am always disappointed if the Sioux don't sweep, whether it be against Tech, UMN, an NHL team, our 2001-2002 Sioux vs. the UMN team of that year, it doesn't matter, I always want the Sioux to win and I am always disappointed if they don't.

I also think I'm likely to be disappointed this weekend. As much as I thoroughly despise UMN, they are not doing it with mirrors. They are back and they are for real. In addition, Briggs is playing very well of late. I view him as much like Hauser (big, plays well positionally, but does not move well and is not overly talented), but much more mentally tough. The Sioux need to crowd him, hit him with a lot of rubber and make him move to make a save.

The Sioux just don't like the big ice. They play tentatively on it. They need to play smart, but much more aggressively on it.

UMN lives and dies on the power play. The Sioux will need not to take any stupid penalties, but also need to avoid having to take penalties because they get beat (i.e. don't get beat).

Sioux goaltending will need to be solid, not letting in any softies.

I see these games as being pretty evenly played with the winner determined by the team that gets the better bounces. I don't expect a blowout in either game, but if there is one (or two) I would be really disappointed if it was at the expense of the Sioux. I really hope the Sioux sweep. If they don't, I hope even more that the whole team, meaning all forward lines, all defensive pairs and all goaltenders give it a full 60 minutes both nights and play with a lot of poise, intelligence, and aggressiveness.

Gophers are 12-3-3 when scoring 1st

Gophers are 1-5-0 when opponent scores 1st

A complete, fun list of such information is in lefthand (pink) column of the 2nd page of the Gophers VERY NICEweekly release.

Here are my favorite interesting stats (keep in mind they are all for the Gophers):

When scoring 4 or more - 10-1-2

When scoring 3 or less - 4-7-1

Allowing 4 or more - 0-8-2

Allowing 3 or fewer - 13-0-1

Looks like us scoring 4 is the threshold. Also, the Gophers are only 3-6 in 2 or less goal margin games.

I will be online this weekend, and posting/surfing furiously!! This should be the beginning of an exciting stretch run in the WCHA!!

I must amend this posting!! Seeing as how I have yet to see a Dogs game live this year, I have decided to drive to Duluth for the Friday night game. I will be online Saturday night during the game though.

"Don't want to toot his horn too much.....I see harder shots in practice. He shouldn't be a problem." -- Kellen Briggs on Twin Cities Fox affiliate when asked about Zach Parise

I truly hope Bo and ZPar light those guys up this weekend for a bunch.........

Be nice to see Bo collect another 5 point night Friday like he did in Grand Forks in November.

"Don't want to toot his horn too much.....I see harder shots in practice. He shouldn't be a problem." -- Kellen Briggs on Twin Cities Fox affiliate when asked about Zach Parise

Thats bulleting board material. I doubt it Kellen...

I must amend this posting!! Seeing as how I have yet to see a Dogs game live this year, I have decided to drive to Duluth for the Friday night game. I will be online Saturday night during the game though.

Nevermind these posts! I'm going to both games now!! HAHAAA!!!!!!!!!

HI, This may seem as if it is getting old, but I too agree that the Fox Sports Network commentators are annoying. I think that they should probably take lessons from other commentators such as UND or other teams. They really need a lesson about team bias. Call the game, talk up your team a bit, but other teams such as the Sioux deserve much credit! After all, we are # 1 in the Nation. And Quit the BS about home and road games! Think about it, there are three other teams that UM plays that are right in their same state!

Well, I will be watching the game on webcast, thank god they don't have the FSN crew announcing that!

Go Sioux!!!

Talk about cross breeding....Looks like over on www.pileofsh$tonice.com they have a post from Goon on the page header.

They are just jealous that we get more posts here. I also notice that the board said Sue fans. I guess they are spineless PC bastards trying to play it off as a slam on us. Politics ruined their board and now they want to read a real one.

They are just jealous that we get more posts here. I also notice that the board said Sue fans. I guess they are spineless PC bastards trying to play it off as a slam on us. Politics ruined their board and now they want to read a real one.

I did read a great quote over there once .....went something like this.. "Ahhh the internet where geeks are tough talkers".

Priceless......and very true on www.pileofsh$tonice.com

Talk about cross breeding....Looks like over on www.prideonice.com they have a post from Goon on the page header.

Goon, you're now famous to Gopher fans everywhere!

They are just jealous that we get more posts here.

There are actually a LOT more Gopher fans than Sioux fans. Something about 48,000 vs 13,000. I like to think we make up for it in quality :(