SiouxSports.com Forum

Joe Mollberg New Starting QB

geaux_sioux

Ohhh come on....the two QB system was working......

I hope the coaching staff throws the book at Mollberg. Open the playbook and run everything you can. No use bottling things up. This is the time to just open up and let it fly. Different formations, trick plays, etc. Maybe some read option.

You're vastly under rating the unknowns of recruiting.

certainly not. I'm more familiar with them (unknowns) than you could know. I'm just holding Muss to the same standard which I've no doubt he holds himself. If you asked him to grade the last few years of QB recruiting, I'm certain he'd agree with the "F" grade as well.

When you choose this profession, you don't get a pass due to the "unknowns of recruiting". The coaches say the same thing on signing day-that the real test of how good a recruiting class is will come in a few years. This isn't to say he is overall a bad recruiter. He's done really well with WRs.

In the end though, it's like Parcells said, "you are what your record says you are."

I'd take a ham sandwich over Bradley. Glad he's gone. Comes didn't appear to be a leader and Demler had medical issues then transferred out.

Can't blame that type of attrition in the coaches. I do wish they had brought in a better juco qb to bridge the gap to Mollberg and Bartels but that's just me. Attrition isn't only due to a coach not being good. That's a down right childish explanation based on emotion only. NDSU had massive attrition rates that led to the massive senior class they have this year. Does that mean coach Bohl is an arrogant prick that can't coach? Nope. People leave for different reasons and sometimes it screws a program up for a couple years.

Don't kid yourself - players HAVE left this program before because they don't get along with Mussman. He's not a "players coach" as you might say. Nevertheless, regardless of whatever excuse you associate with each of the QBs that have left over the past few years, the QB class distribution is not good on this roster. Always nice to have at least have one or two upper classmen for experience/leadership if nothing else.

And the NDSU situation a few years back is NOT comparable to UNDs current one. NDSU had established themselves with a couple 10 win seasons before 2009, a No. 1 ranking, and compiled a roster with several future NFL players. UND with muss has done nothing remotely close to that. Plus, the 2009 recruiting class was simply just good enough to see playing time in 2010; it wasn't because NDSU had upper classmen attrition. UND hasn't had a top tier FCS roster since Mussman took over. Associate that with other excuses if you wish, but Mussman is simply not capable of assembling and leading a championship football team. 2011 was simply an outlier.

Don't kid yourself - players HAVE left this program before because they don't get along with Mussman. He's not a "players coach" as you might say. Nevertheless, regardless of whatever excuse you associate with each of the QBs that have left over the past few years, the QB class distribution is not good on this roster. Always nice to have at least have one or two upper classmen for experience/leadership if nothing else.

And the NDSU situation a few years back is NOT comparable to UNDs current one. NDSU had established themselves with a couple 10 win seasons before 2009, a No. 1 ranking, and compiled a roster with several future NFL players. UND with muss has done nothing remotely close to that. Plus, the 2009 recruiting class was simply just good enough to see playing time in 2010; it wasn't because NDSU had upper classmen attrition. UND hasn't had a top tier FCS roster since Mussman took over. Associate that with other excuses if you wish, but Mussman is simply not capable of assembling and leading a championship football team. 2011 was simply an outlier.

NDSU actually did have a lot of attrition.That pared with a really good class followed by another good one equalled a lot of playing time for young players and a huge senior class this season.

And I'm not defending Mussman as everyone seems to think. Just because I'm not talking about blowing up the program and rebuilding from the ashes like everyone else all the time doesn't mean I don't think things need to change. I'm able to look at things without my view being clouded by emotion over three shity losses in a row. Sure I think changes need to be made but there are others things to talk about as well.

qb play does not equal the hype coming into season or ability of receiving core.

"best recruit in 20 yrs?", "best receiving core in fcs?"

83 total passing yards, maybe I just expected more out of the one category that was to be the automatic shining light for und

qb play does not equal the hype coming into season or ability of receiving core.

"best recruit in 20 yrs?", "best receiving core in fcs?"

83 total passing yards, maybe I just expected more out of the one category that was to be the automatic shining light for und

I think to be fair to the qb and wrs one has to look at o-line play and play calling. Not saying it has been great but those things didn't help.

I think to be fair to the qb and wrs one has to look at o-line play and play calling. Not saying it has been great but those things didn't help.

Is it safe to say lack of any decent O-Line and D-Line play is the root cause of all of this? Many knowledgable posters were raising red flags after Valpo on this topic and sure enough here we are....

Nice to see you have recovered from viewing the steaming pile that was Saturday's game and are back in the Muss corner.

He's trying to look at it realistically which most here can't manage because of the rage they feel toward the coaching staff. Sure they missed on a few guys but during that stretch they were losing almost all recruiting battles with other area teams for different reasons. Is this on the coach, yes but people can't control everything. We tried to get Thorton and Wentz out of Bismarck but lost them to NDSU. I don't think at that point we could win a head to head with NDSU due to several factors but mainly the success they were already having in FCS and UND wasn't even playoff eligible. So they are damned when they don't bring someone in and damned when the can't get the first couple of choices and have to offer someone that likely wouldn't normally get a scholarship. Clearly it is on the coaches but those years were a struggle to recruit talent for several different reasons.

Don't kid yourself - players HAVE left this program before because they don't get along with Mussman.

Sure they have because this happens everywhere, but more often than not the guy who walks wasn't good enough to play anyway. Every year almost all college teams have players quit and the reasons are varied as to why they do it. Yes the coach is responsible but I am surprised some of you haven't blamed the coaching staff for Bamba and other players who have gotten themselves in trouble.

I think waiting to go DI had a much bigger impact on recruiting than was imagined at the time. When we were DII we had a hard time competing for kids with the new DI schools in the area. We were offering 1/2 rides to compete with full rides from the DI schools. Their additional money compensated for the lack of playoff opportunity. Once we could compete $$ wise we were behind the 8 ball due to lack of playoff eligibility. Now we are playing catchup with the teams that have had success recently. It might be a while.