SiouxSports.com Forum

Vikings

Fetch

Darren Wolfson @DarrenWolfson  ·  47m

Tweeted this a.m. that based on some digging I'd be surprised if the #Vikings released AP. @HubbuchNYP reports releasing def. not happening.

It's way too early to even think of releasing him.  He hasn't been convicted yet.  If they did that, Jerry Jones would swoop right in and snatch him up and I don't want the Cowgirls to benefit from all this.  I am thinking since he doesn't have a prior criminal record, he'll get off easier than a serial criminal would.  But I do hope he learns something from this and doesn't get carried away again.

It's way too early to even think of releasing him.  He hasn't been convicted yet.  If they did that, Jerry Jones would swoop right in and snatch him up and I don't want the Cowgirls to benefit from all this.  I am thinking since he doesn't have a prior criminal record, he'll get off easier than a serial criminal would.  But I do hope he learns something from this and doesn't get carried away again.

Agreed.

It's way too early to even think of releasing him. He hasn't been convicted yet. If they did that, Jerry Jones would swoop right in and snatch him up and I don't want the Cowgirls to benefit from all this. I am thinking since he doesn't have a prior criminal record, he'll get off easier than a serial criminal would. But I do hope he learns something from this and doesn't get carried away again.

I am a little tired of the one-felony-not-a-big-deal-diversion-program routine these days...

I am a little tired of the one-felony-not-a-big-deal-diversion-program routine these days...

I never said that Mafia; I said cutting him now would be premature.  That doesn't mean they won't eventually cut him; it depends on what happens within the court system.  I hate what he did as much as you, but we have a legal process in this country and it will be followed.  Being charged with a crime and having to post bail isn't a small thing, especially for someone with a big public profile like AP.  I am thinking he'll have to agree to supervised visits with his 4 year old son and pay a fine.  I do think he'll avoid jail time based on him not having a prior criminal record.  I really do hope he learns from this and uses better judgement in the future.

Curious why it took a week to be found and reported. Is it possible the child's mother was looking to get some more money off ap? I don't' know but why did it take a week to be reported?

From what I heard this happened a year ago, and it took a second grand jury to get the charges brought up.

I never said that Mafia; I said cutting him now would be premature.  That doesn't mean they won't eventually cut him; it depends on what happens within the court system.  I hate what he did as much as you, but we have a legal process in this country and it will be followed.  Being charged with a crime and having to post bail isn't a small thing, especially for someone with a big public profile like AP.  I am thinking he'll have to agree to supervised visits with his 4 year old son and pay a fine.  I do think he'll avoid jail time based on him not having a prior criminal record.  I really do hope he learns from this and uses better judgement in the future.

I never said that YOU said that...I simply said that I'm tired of the downgrading of citizen expectations when being charged with one felony over the course of your life apparently makes you a fine upstanding citizen.   

Let's be honest here...if AP was Christian Ponder, he'd have been released minutes after the indictment. 

Here's the state of sports these days:

Smack a four year old kid around?  Picture evidence?  Felony charges?  "Let's see how the legal process plays out." 

Utter a homophobic slur in practice?  Make racially insensitive comments?  "Fire the rat b*st*rd immediately, suspend the coach for almost 1/5 of the season, and/or force the owner to sell his/her team."

• Upvote 1

I never said that YOU said that...I simply said that I'm tired of the downgrading of citizen expectations when being charged with only one felony over the course of your life apparently makes you a fine upstanding citizen.   

Let's be honest here...if AP was Christian Ponder, he'd have been released minutes after the indictment. 

Here's the state of sports these days:

Smack a four year old kid around?  Picture evidence?  Felony charges?  "Let's see how the legal process plays out." 

Utter a homophobic slur in practice?  Make racially insensitive comments?  "Fire the rat b*st*rd immediately, suspend the coach for almost 1/5 of the season, and/or force the owner to sell his/her team."

I agree with you on the bolded part.  Those things are half-butt backwards.

It is a long-standing legal principle that repeat offenders get harsher sentences than first-time offenders.  It makes sense to me.

Also saw Vikings special teams coach Priefer will be back this week and they looked like they missed him as they had to call a timeout to get the right guys on the field for one punt return, only had 9 guys out there on another punt return, had a field goal blocked, and had some poor punt coverage yesterday too.

• Upvote 2

It is a long-standing legal principle that repeat offenders get harsher sentences than first-time offenders.  It makes sense to me.

I'd agree with that as well...the point is that the NFL isn't bound by "innocent until proven guilty" in terms of who plays in the league and who doesn't.  If we're going with that assumption, why don't the Patriots bail Aaron Hernandez out of jail and let him play until his case is resolved? 

I agree with you on the bolded part. Those things are half-butt backwards.

It is a long-standing legal principle that repeat offenders get harsher sentences than first-time offenders. It makes sense to me.

The nfl should hold a stance and Ap's actions though to show this type of behavior is not acceptable out of a nfl athlete. Was the la clippers owner actually even charged with anything? I'm guessing the nfl and the Vikings will allow him to play though because of the mighty dollar.

• Upvote 1

I'd agree with that as well...the point is that the NFL isn't bound by "innocent until proven guilty" in terms of who plays in the league and who doesn't.  If we're going with that assumption, why don't the Patriots bail Aaron Hernandez out of jail and let him play until his case is resolved? 

I suppose it's because Hernandez is a suspect in a brutal, cold-blooded killing of a man he had a confrontation with at a bar.  That's just a little more serious than what AP is accused of.  And a league as image conscious as the NFL isn't going to ban players left and right for being "accused" of a crime when they could get exonerated in court (remember the Duke Lacrosse case; most of the public thought they were guilty as sin).  That would give the league a black eye as an entity that shoots first and asks questions later.

• Upvote 1

The grand jury found enough evidence to charge AP and the subsequent trial, if it makes it that far, will be based on whether the jury feels AP's actions were "reasonable and within the community standard" for disciplining a child.  If he is acquitted this will open up a big can of whoop ass on innocent kids in that Texas area!

The nfl should hold a stance and Ap's actions though to show this type of behavior is not acceptable out of a nfl athlete. Was the la clippers owner actually even charged with anything? I'm guessing the nfl and the Vikings will allow him to play though because of the mighty dollar.

When you had black players on the Clippers threatening to go on strike if the ownership stayed the same, the NBA had no choice but to act.  Corporate sponsors were also jumping ship.  I can recall Kirby Puckett (RIP) saying he would never play for Marge Schott, the racist owner of the Cincinnati Reds at the time (and a noted Adolf Hitler apologist, b.t.w.) when he was in that contract dispute with Carl Pohlad back in the early 1990's.  I didn't blame Puckett for saying that and I didn't blame the black players on the Clippers for doing what they did.

When you had black players on the Clippers threatening to go on strike if the ownership stayed the same, the NBA had no choice but to act.  Corporate sponsors were also jumping ship.  I can recall Kirby Puckett (RIP) saying he would never play for Marge Schott, the racist owner of the Cincinnati Reds at the time (and a noted Adolf Hitler apologist, b.t.w.) when he was in that contract dispute with Carl Pohlad back in the early 1990's.  I didn't blame Puckett for saying that and I didn't blame the black players on the Clippers for doing what they did.

Barry Larkin, Reds Hall of Famer, had good things to say about Marge Schott.  The comments can go both ways.

So what happens if, say, Mark Cuban comes out and says he supports Rand Paul for President.  Corporate sponsors back away from the Mavericks, a player or two decides they're not going to play...should David Silver force him to sell the Mavericks?

BTW, how convenient for the Hawks' owner (who has wanted to sell the team for years now) to "self-report" his "racist" e-mails so that the NBA can "force" him to sell his team.  Hopefully for the same amount that was paid for the Clippers, no doubt...

A few interesting comments from Vikings media availability today as well as from Charles Barkley when he appeared on the CBS pregame show yesterday. Reading these quotes and more from Vikings players the overwhelming message seems to be support of Peterson as well as comments about how fine of line there is when you try to tell someone how to discipline their child.

Master Tesfatsion @MasterStrib  ·  3h

Charles Barkley on Adrian Peterson: "I'm from the South. Whippings, we do that all the time."

"Every black parent in my neighborhood in the South would be in trouble or in jail under those circumstances" -Barkley on Peterson

Master Tesfatsion@MasterStrib 2m

"I feel like I'm a better person for it. My mother cared about me a lot." - Jerome Felton #Vikings

Master Tesfatsion@MasterStrib 5m

Asked about Peterson's form on discipline,FB Jerome Felton said "I'm from the South, so I probably got it a little worse than that" #Vikings

Matt Vensel@mattvensel 1m

Jarius Wright was clearly nervous and trying to carefully choose his words, but he did say that he didn't think Peterson did anything wrong.

Some interesting comments mostly from Vikings teammates.

Charles Barkley on Adrian Peterson: "I'm from the South. Whippings, we do that all the time."

"Every black parent in my neighborhood in the South would be in trouble or in jail under those circumstances" -Barkley on Peterson

Master Tesfatsion@MasterStrib 5m

Asked about Peterson's form on discipline,FB Jerome Felton said "I'm from the South, so I probably got it a little worse than that" #Vikings

I'm sure the reaction would be exactly the same if this were a Confederate belt buckle-wearing white guy from Alabama facing similar charges...

Chris Carter, former Viking, offered a differing opinion...

http://cris-carter-speech-espn-sunday-nfl-countdown-ray-lewis-baltimore-ravens-minnesota-vikings-adrian-peterson-child-abuse-comments