SiouxSports.com Forum

Sonmor's Comment

cfm567b27

I've watched a lot of games by both UND and UM this year and my analysis of the situation is that next week's series will come down to depth and conditioning, as long as special teams doesn't kill UND. The reason BU was able to hang in there with UM for an entire weekend hinged on depth and conditioning. There were 3 minute stretches of the second half of the game where UM was struggling to find their legs and BU, a fast/scrappy but decidedly less talented team, was able to put some shots on net and maintain pressure in the offensive zone. I couldn't tell if the Gophers found ways to cope with these problems in the CC-UM series or if CC just didn't expose this weakness as well as BU did. Probably it was a little of both.

As good as things have been this year for UND, the most remarkable difference I see between this year's team and last year's team is an incredible increase in team endurance and the ability to maintain a game-pace and intensity for 60 minutes that makes it difficult for teams to keep up. Despite all the hype about UND being a 1-line team, they've shown that all four lines can put points on the board.

Jason Herter was interviewed recently during a visit to Grand Forks and he was amazed at how intensely the team trains after on-ice workouts. He said this was one of the most well-conditioned college teams he's ever seen.

Prediction: UND puts 25-30% more shots on goal than UM in both games, but power play goals by UM and the lack of PP goals by UND balances the scale. Towards the end of both games (especially on Saturday), the Gophers legs are going to turn to jelly and we'll win the races to loose pucks and be able to generate offensive pressure and odd-man rushes. Provided Briggs doesn't *completely* stand on his head, UND is going to come away with at least 3 points.

That's all probably better said in the UM-UND series thread, but it fits here in that we're only interested in whether or not Sonmor's comments are fact or fiction in relation to how the Gophers are going to stack up to UND. In my opinion, UND is a deeper team and a more well-conditioned team.

UM is making their second-half run. They're a better team than UND saw earlier in the year, but so is UND... a fact that no one seems to mention. I'm glad that UM has rebounded a bit, actually, just because as much as I dislike the gophers, I dislike the Eastern conferences (meaning, East of us... so all of them) more. Few things would please me more than seeing 7 or 8 WCHA teams in the NCAA field.

A sweep of the Gophers on the 23rd and 24th is one of them.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched a lot of games by both UND and UM this year and my analysis of the situation is that next week's series will come down to depth and conditioning, as long as special teams doesn't kill UND. The reason BU was able to hang in there with UM for an entire weekend hinged on depth and conditioning. There were 3 minute stretches of the second half of the game where UM was struggling to find their legs and BU, a fast/scrappy but decidedly less talented team, was able to put some shots on net and maintain pressure in the offensive zone. I couldn't tell if the Gophers found ways to cope with these problems in the CC-UM series or if CC just didn't expose this weakness as well as BU did. Probably it was a little of both.

As good as things have been this year for UND, the most remarkable difference I see between this year's team and last year's team is an incredible increase in team endurance and the ability to maintain a game-pace and intensity for 60 minutes that makes it difficult for teams to keep up. Despite all the hype about UND being a 1-line team, they've shown that all four lines can put points on the board.

Jason Herter was interviewed recently during a visit to Grand Forks and he was amazed at how intensely the team trains after on-ice workouts. He said this was one of the most well-conditioned college teams he's ever seen.

Prediction: UND puts 25-30% more shots on goal than UM in both games, but power play goals by UM and the lack of PP goals by UND balances the scale. Towards the end of both games (especially on Saturday), the Gophers legs are going to turn to jelly and we'll win the races to loose pucks and be able to generate offensive pressure and odd-man rushes. Provided Briggs doesn't *completely* stand on his head, UND is going to come away with at least 3 points.

That's all probably better said in the UM-UND series thread, but it fits here in that we're only interested in whether or not Sonmor's comments are fact or fiction in relation to how the Gophers are going to stack up to UND. In my opinion, UND is a deeper team and a more well-conditioned team.

UM is making their second-half run. They're a better team than UND saw earlier in the year, but so is UND... a fact that no one seems to mention. I'm glad that UM has rebounded a bit, actually, just because as much as I dislike the gophers, I dislike the Eastern conferences (meaning, East of us... so all of them) more. Few things would please me more than seeing 7 or 8 WCHA teams in the NCAA field.

Herter was around my time in school....Great hard slap shot from the point I remember.....that team had Greg Johsnon, Dixon Ward, Russ Romaniuk, Hakstol etc....I think Herter is or was playing in Germany?

Finally an appropriate use of the one-liner. ??? I'd like to take it a step further and say any quote from any professional wrestler, past or present, should be grounds for permanant removal from this board.

Martin was one of the best players in college hockey last year, if not the best. Losing a player like that hurts your team. The loss of Martin does not account for all of the Gophers early trouble, but it played a large part. I have them finishing 3rd in the league.

Sorry, but if you're going to use it, you have to give credit to who said it. And I figure that is how UND or anyone who wins the NCAA tournament this year should accomplish that feat, by HAVING to face MN and beating them. That's all I meant by it, sorry for the source of the quote.

With the utter hatred I have for Gopher Hockey, I figured Carl Spackler (legendary Gopher hater) would be a good moniker! :glare:

If memory serves me correctly - and I picked up the lines accurately from the 98 times I have seen that movie beginning to end - Carl has a "license to kill gophers". That of course when he isn't tending to his chich bugs and manganese problems....

If memory serves me correctly - and I picked up the lines accurately from the 98 times I have seen that movie beginning to end - Carl has a "license to kill gophers". That of course when he isn't tending to his chich bugs and manganese problems....

You are correct sir. Also, I have been spending time working on a new grass, this is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

Diamonds are forever baby, and so is Ric Flair. Whoo. Why not quote wrestlers? Ric Flair is the greatest athlete to ever come out fo the University of Minnesota. :glare:

Everything is relative. I could argue that Kevin Sorbo (Hercules or that retarded Captain from Andromeda) was the best thing to come out of MSU- Moorhead and maybe I'd be right, but that still doesn't make him a great actor ???

You are correct sir. Also, I have been spending time working on a new grass, this is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

Without question that scene is my favorite in the entire film.

I agree completely with your assessment. The Gophers are a very dangerous team, and may even be a Frozen Four team if they get sent to a different regional than the Sioux. From what I have seen, UND and BC look like the top 2 teams in the country right now, but you can never count out Minnesota, Michigan or Maine. UMD and New Hampshire may also have an outside shot.

An outside shot is better than none. I'll take it. I just hope UMD can put together a good enough season to put them in the tourney. Last year was dissapointing to say the least, but this season is quickly making up for it.

I'm glad that UM has rebounded a bit, actually, just because as much as I dislike the gophers, I dislike the Eastern conferences (meaning, East of us... so all of them) more. Few things would please me more than seeing 7 or 8 WCHA teams in the NCAA field.

I am just the opposite, I would rather like to see a team like BU or Michigan win the NCAA than the Univeristy of Minnesota.

I am just the opposite, I would rather like to see a team like BU or Michigan win the NCAA than the Univeristy of Minnesota.

I used to feel that way about UND. I was exceptionally bitter at the Sioux who hadn't been anything special since the late '80s show up in '96-'97, get a lucky draw and win the NCAA Title.

I relished the Sioux losses to Michigan and BC. Then in '99-'00 I started to flip. I truly hated UW and I was very pleased when the Sioux crushed them at the Target Center.

I went into the '00 Final rooting for BC, but after two periods I think the ESPN guys got to me and I cheered (much to the suprise of my wife) for UND and enjoyed UND snatching victory from BC.

In '00-'01 the Sioux came to Mariucci and smoke the Gophs 4-1 on a Friday night game. Pohl dressed for the Saturday game with an obviously still injured ankle. Someone quoted Blais warning the Sioux if they went after Pohl's leg, they would pay. Or something to that effect. I took it for the truth and thought it was about as classy a move as a coach could make.

Later in '00-'01 the USCHO BC clowns forever turned me off from any eastern team with their obnoxious rants. I was rooting for UND against SCSU at the X, and in all games of their nice NCAA run.

There is nothing to hate about UND now. Blake is long gone, they are simply a hard skating, hard working, class program.

Now I think I'd root for all WCHA teams except for UW. I just cant root for them. Not in basketball or football either.

I used to feel that way about UND. I was exceptionally bitter at the Sioux who hadn't been anything special since the late '80s show up in '96-'97, get a lucky draw and win the NCAA Title.

I relished the Sioux losses to Michigan and BC. Then in '99-'00 I started to flip. I truly hated UW and I was very pleased when the Sioux crushed them at the Target Center.

I went into the '00 Final rooting for BC, but after two periods I think the ESPN guys got to me and I cheered (much to the suprise of my wife) for UND and enjoyed UND snatching victory from BC.

In '00-'01 the Sioux came to Mariucci and smoke the Gophs 4-1 on a Friday night game. Pohl dressed for the Saturday game with an obviously still injured ankle. Someone quoted Blais warning the Sioux if they went after Pohl's leg, they would pay. Or something to that effect. I took it for the truth and thought it was about as classy a move as a coach could make.

Later in '00-'01 the USCHO BC clowns forever turned me off from any eastern team with their obnoxious rants. I was rooting for UND against SCSU at the X, and in all games of their nice NCAA run.

There is nothing to hate about UND now. Blake is long gone, they are simply a hard skating, hard working, class program.

Now I think I'd root for all WCHA teams except for UW. I just cant root for them. Not in basketball or football either.

I guess I am not as anti-any team in the WCHA. I guess I am one of those people who loves the fact that his team is in the best conference in the nation. I sometimes even get naive enough to say that our worst team is better than ECAC, AH, CHA, and half of HEA combined. I hold my conference above the East.

sagard, I feel the same way you do about UW with BC and Maine, though especially Maine. I also feel that ESPN has no integrity and is a sports giant who doesn't even hold to its own credo.

I've tried to root for the Gophers during tourney play the last few years and can't bring myself to do it. I guess I was brought up to hate them. Of course, I hated UW until I met some of their fans. They treated me just great out in Providence in 2000 and since then I don't hate them. Amazing how the hatred for a team tends to be more of a hatred for the fans of that team. I've just not had good experiences with Gopher or BC fans. When the band left the Frozen Four in 2001 we had to hide away everything so their fans couldn't steal it. Not to mention the abuse we took the entire time. I'm so sick of 3 out of 4 Frozen Fours being out in the Boston area.

BC is the Minnesota of the east. Every team hates them except for their own fans. This came from all the east coast fans I have run into in my couple of trips to the Frozen Four.

Of course, I hated UW until I met some of their fans.  They treated me just great out in Providence in 2000 and since then I don't hate them.

I had the same experience in Providence with Wisconsin fans. The ones I talked to were pulling for the Sioux. How can you dislike that?

During the 2001 Final Five, I sat next to some SCSU fans. They were good guys and we had a great time at the tournment. Since then, I have a hard time saying anything bad about SCSU.

I do find it easier to cheer against the Gophers than to cheer for them, but I'd always rather see a WCHA team beat a team from another conference, especially Hockey East.

I had the same experience in Providence with Wisconsin fans. The ones I talked to were pulling for the Sioux. How can you dislike that?

The last season the Final Five was at the target center, we were at a bar near the Target Center and Wisconsin was losing in basketball in the NCAA tourney to a team that I have forgot and I started cheering and enjoying the moment. Suddenly I looked around and the whole bar was cardinal and red, much to my dismay there were hundreds of Badger fans in this bar. Realizing that I was in enemy territory (sp) and this was some place that I didn't want to be I exited the bar quitely :lol: . Yikes...

Michigan is the only school to hold more NCAA championships than UND... for that reason alone, I'd prefer anyone to win it before them. Anyone.

Anyone as long as it isn't the Gophers.....After Minnesota's 23 year drought they acted like that had won 9 of them after the national title game in St. Paul in 2002. Then to add to it they go back to back and now act like that have won 18.

I've tried to root for the Gophers during tourney play the last few years and can't bring myself to do it. I guess I was brought up to hate them. Of course, I hated UW until I met some of their fans. They treated me just great out in Providence in 2000 and since then I don't hate them. Amazing how the hatred for a team tends to be more of a hatred for the fans of that team. I've just not had good experiences with Gopher or BC fans. When the band left the Frozen Four in 2001 we had to hide away everything so their fans couldn't steal it. Not to mention the abuse we took the entire time. I'm so sick of 3 out of 4 Frozen Fours being out in the Boston area.

BC is the Minnesota of the east. Every team hates them except for their own fans. This came from all the east coast fans I have run into in my couple of trips to the Frozen Four.

You have echoed my sentiments precisely! As much as I want to like the Gophers because of reasonable fans like Greyeagle, Sagard and WPOS, I cannot get over the fact that the majority of Gopher fans cheer against the Sioux when I have been at national championships and regionals. The most recent was last year when the overwhelming majority of the Gopher fans cheered for Ferris State. By contrast, when the regionals were in Wisconsin in 1999, Wisconsin fans showed up and cheered for the Sioux against BC. Wisconsin fans did the same thing at the National Championship in Milwaukee in 1997, and in 2000 at the Regionals after Wisconsin was upset by BC. I also cannot stand the arrogance of so many affiliated with the Gophers from the announcers (Mazzocco, Woog), to the radio loud mouths (Sid, PA and Dubay) to the constant obnoxious Gopher fans that we constantly see in Fargo/Moorhead.

BC is the same. In 1998 when they beat the Sioux they chanted "USA". Apparently, "USA" is only when its convenient because they won a national championship in 2001 in OT over the Sioux in which the 2 biggest stars were Canadians, Kris Kylanos and Chuck Kobasew. (Minnesota used to do the same thing, by the way). BC is almost universally hated out east by Maine, UNH and BU because of the arrogance of the fans and announcers who claim:(1) that the other schools only win because they recruit Canadians and Europeans (2) that the academic standards are lower at other institutions or (3) they recruit older players.

This was almost a universal complaint of BU and Maine fans at the Frozen Four in Providence in 2000. Do these types of claims sound familiar Sioux and Gopher fans?

The bottom line is that I cheer for the WCHA except the Gophers. My second favorite team will always be whoever is playing the Gophers.

You have echoed my sentiments precisely! As much as I want to like the Gophers because of reasonable fans like Greyeagle, Sagard and WPOS, I cannot get over the fact that the majority of Gopher fans cheer against the Sioux when I have been at national championships and regionals. The most recent was last year when the overwhelming majority of the Gopher fans cheered for Ferris State. By contrast, when the regionals were in Wisconsin in 1999, Wisconsin fans showed up and cheered for the Sioux against BC. Wisconsin fans did the same thing at the National Championship in Milwaukee in 1997, and in 2000 at the Regionals after Wisconsin was upset by BC. I also cannot stand the arrogance of so many affiliated with the Gophers from the announcers (Mazzocco, Woog), to the radio loud mouths (Sid, PA and Dubay) to the constant obnoxious Gopher fans that we constantly see in Fargo/Moorhead.

BC is the same. In 1998 when they beat the Sioux they chanted "USA". Apparently, "USA" is only when its convenient because they won a national championship in 2001 in OT over the Sioux in which the 2 biggest stars were Canadians, Kris Kylanos and Chuck Kobasew. (Minnesota used to do the same thing, by the way). BC is almost universally hated out east by Maine, UNH and BU because of the arrogance of the fans and announcers who claim:(1) that the other schools only win because they recruit Canadians and Europeans (2) that the academic standards are lower at other institutions or (3) they recruit older players.

This was almost a universal complaint of BU and Maine fans at the Frozen Four in Providence in 2000. Do these types of claims sound familiar Sioux and Gopher fans?

The bottom line is that I cheer for the WCHA except the Gophers. My second favorite team will always be whoever is playing the Gophers.

I'm from Boston so I understand your post completely - and it is very accurate with regards to Hockey East (the fans and traditional gripes from those schools). However, being an east coaster.....I admit I pull for BC when they play anyone in the WCHA besides the Sioux.

[prefer anyone to win it before them. Anyone.

Anyone as long as it isn't the Gophers.....After Minnesota's 23 year drought they acted like that had won 9 of them after the national title game in St. Paul in 2002. Then to add to it they go back to back and now act like that have won 18.