SiouxSports.com Forum

Gwoz resigns

dmksioux

It would be the WCHA. They could claim that they are supporting the other MN schools (except for UMD) and then they also wouldn't have to play UND.

SCSU and UMD would jump back as well. But I can't actually see the BTH disbanding, too many weeknight programming slots to fill.

Like X 100.

Rumor out of Columbus is that Osiecki was fired for asking OSU's AD for an extra $50 to help fix a couple of broken helmet visors after their CCHA semi-final loss. This was shortly after Urban Meyer's request for $1 billion dollars for football stadium weight-room renovations was approved.

Speaking of Urban Meyer, you gotta love his approach about blowing up complacency at the first sight of it. Hopefully the Sioux are an angry team next year, and the coaches can do likewise and spot any complacency in the weight room and elsewhere and "nip it in the bud".

http://www.coachingsearch.com/home/2988-urban-meyer-you-blow-up-complacency-as-fast-as-you-can.html

Speaking of Urban Meyer, you gotta love his approach about blowing up complacency at the first sight of it. Hopefully the Sioux are an angry team next year, and the coaches can do likewise and spot any complacency in the weight room and elsewhere and "nip it in the bud".

http://www.coachings...as-you-can.html

Yes, I love Urban's approach: "I know our coach got canned and we got caught doing all sorts of shady things...hell, this stuff has gone all the way back to Maurice Clarett reporting his car being broken into and filing a false report of that incident while making the call from Coach Tressel's own private office...but nevermind that stuff, let's use the angst of being slapped on NCAA probation to our advantage and go kick a**!"

"This season, there wasn't any big schools int he Frozen Four, yet it survived without any of the big schools"

I still say if every yr was like this one the nc$$ would want to get out of college hockey

Gee, you would hope so. If not, they might as well switch Corkum from interim to permanent right now.

I've been as critical of the Maine AD as anyone, but that article does a poor job of providing context. The "two months" deadline just refers to fact that the current assistant coach's contract is coming up for renewal. Whichever way Maine goes with the head coach, they have to figure it out before they renew / not renew the rest of the staff.

I'm still a believer that Maine's administration can mess this up six ways to Sunday* . . . but taking the full 2 months to determine the interview list won't be one of them. $.02

*the first way would be not to throw everything they can at Gwoz. It's not every year when a coach of his stature becomes available. I'm still annoyed that Maine didn't at least make a run at either Blais or Jackson. To not make a run at Gwoz would be inexcusable. If you can find $195k to pay Whitehead, you can stretch into the $200s for Gwoz. Show the guy an oceanfront house within commuting distance. Maine isn't OSU, but this isn't football. If Maine is committed, they can make a play. Fingers crossed.

I'm still a believer that Maine's administration can mess this up six ways to Sunday* . . . but taking the full 2 months to determine the interview list won't be one of them. $.02

Oh I have no problem with them taking the full 2 months. MafiaMan had stated that the administration hoped to have someone hired by next season. Next season is technically closer to 5 or 6 months away. By all means, take 2 or 3 months. 5 or 6? That's a bit ridiculous. That's all I meant.

Oh I have no problem with them taking the full 2 months. MafiaMan had stated that the administration hoped to have someone hired by next season. Next season is technically closer to 5 or 6 months away. By all means, take 2 or 3 months. 5 or 6? That's a bit ridiculous. That's all I meant.

I was being facetious... :whistling:

Two months sounds like the max and that they'd like someone hired before then...really don't understand their process though.

In other news, Anchorage narrows the coach search down to four: Chris Brown, Michael Corbett, Gary Heenan, and Damon Whitten.

Brown is a DIII head coach, currently at Augsburg.

Corbett is an associate coach at AFA.

Heenan is a DIII head coach, currently at Utica.

Whitten is an assistant coach at Tech.

I was being facetious... :whistling:

Haha apparently that breeze I felt was actually the joke going right over my head. :huh:

If Maine is smart, they'll throw all their money at Gwoz and get it wrapped up as soon as possible before Ohio State steals him first. If they wait a full 2 months or so to gather candidates, I'm afraid they'll lose him.

Haha apparently that breeze I felt was actually the joke going right over my head. :huh:

If Maine is smart, they'll throw all their money at Gwoz and get it wrapped up as soon as possible before Ohio State steals him first. If they wait a full 2 months or so to gather candidates, I'm afraid they'll lose him.

I don't know why it's not a done deal already! He's practically begging Maine for the job...and they're dragging their feet.

I don't know why it's not a done deal already! He's practically begging Maine for the job...and they're dragging their feet.

Yep. Because of the committee they set up. I get the whole thing about the Maine coaching job being more of a thing for the whole state than just for the school (especially once you get north of Portland). I would say that the Sioux head coach position is in a similar situation. But, even if that's the case, I don't understand how/why they have a professor of biology, ecology, and climate change at the head of the search committee.

Anchorage should make a charge for Gwoz although I don't think he'd much like coaching in the "left behind league". Gwoz would be a good fit at Maine too, as would Eaves. I bet Eaves would be a solid candidate. Anchorage does not need someone who's been at the dIII level or an assistant at Tech. They have money - lots of it. Someone like Gwoz or Eaves would have a better chance at keeping some of that Alaskan talent home than the previous coaches. Retaining Alaskan talent is the only way, I think, that Anchorage every becomes playoff relevant.

But, even if that's the case, I don't understand how/why they have a professor of biology, ecology, and climate change at the head of the search committee.

It's fairly common to have a faculty member on the hiring committee. It is usually someone who has been on campus for a long time and is well liked by both the admin and the students. It is usually done to ensure that coach hired will fit into the culture of the campus.

It's fairly common to have a faculty member on the hiring committee. It is usually someone who has been on campus for a long time and is well liked by both the admin and the students. It is usually done to ensure that coach hired will fit into the culture of the campus.

Right. Common to have someone on the committee. Not as common to have the committee headed by and made up almost entirely of such individuals.

Right. Common to have someone on the committee. Not as common to have the committee headed by and made up almost entirely of such individuals.

The article I read said the committee was comprised of faculty, business leaders and athletic boosters, which is a pretty common make-up for a committee of this type. And in the world of academia, the committee chair doesn't generally have more power than any other members of the committee. It is generally someone who is good at organization and leading meetings.

The article I read said the committee was comprised of faculty, business leaders and athletic boosters, which is a pretty common make-up for a committee of this type. And in the world of academia, the committee chair doesn't generally have more power than any other members of the committee. It is generally someone who is good at organization and leading meetings.

That makes sense, then. In my work, being the committee chair carries a lot of weight compared to committee members.

I've served on a search committee for a non-athletic department hire, and that is basically how they work. They bring together representatives from different parts of campus and from off-campus groups that are associated with that department. The other role of the chair is to make sure that the committee follows University rules and procedures. But the chair is normally only 1 vote in any decision making. If the process is followed completely it can take a little longer to complete, but it is very thorough.

All that makes perfect sense for a regular hire. I would just think that it would be a little different when it's an athletic hire. Yes, it's important to make sure the coach is a good fit with the institution, town, etc. But if they start asking the candidate questions about coaching philosophies (defense first, dump and chase, the trap, etc) - which I think are valid questions - will half the committee even have a clue what he's talking about?

All that makes perfect sense for a regular hire. I would just think that it would be a little different when it's an athletic hire. Yes, it's important to make sure the coach is a good fit with the institution, town, etc. But if they start asking the candidate questions about coaching philosophies (defense first, dump and chase, the trap, etc) - which I think are valid questions - will half the committee even have a clue what he's talking about?

I doubt the university cares about any of those things. They want someone who has a proven track record of success and who is a good fit for the university/community. From their perspective, it is the coach's responsibility to make those decisions.

I doubt the university cares about any of those things. They want someone who has a proven track record of success and who is a good fit for the university/community. From their perspective, it is the coach's responsibility to make those decisions.

We'll have to agree to disagree, because I think the university should care about those things. For example, say Hak was fired (purely hypothetical...I'm not advocating that he be fired), and the university hires a coach with a track record of success, but he plays the trap game. I think there would be a backlash from fans, supporters, etc., because that's not Sioux hockey. So because of the coaching style, is that no longer a good fit for the university? There's a tradition to uphold, and the coaching philosophy plays into that.

Disclaimer: I do realize that all teams employ the trap at some point or another, including the Sioux. But they don't do it night in and night out like Bemidji, etc., so I don't consider that the overall 'style' of what Sioux hockey entails.