SiouxSports.com Forum

Speeding tickets on way to/from from Omaha

SiouxperDave

Hey, no income tax state; they have to make their money somewhere.

Sioux City's in Iowa, and we do have hefty income taxes too. As well, we have "photocops" at stop lights and on certain highways. It's a big money grab for local communities, and Sioux City is among the worst.

Did you miss the sign that said 55 MPH and the speed limit photo enforced? Whenever you see those signs pay attention.

I didn't see any of those signs on the way down or back. I typically go about 4-5 mph above the posted speed limit. Does anyone know if they ticket a person speeding no matter what (ie 1 mph over the speed limit) or is there some leeway with these photocops?

I read this thread yesterday prior to going home. Once at home I checked the mail and the first thing my eye caught was the senders address as "Sky....something or other" and I though, oh boy, I must have been speeding. But on closer inspection, it was a mailing from my "Sky miles" program... :D

I got many when I lived in Scottsdale. The best part was seeing how dumb you look in the photo :) I know the radars in az wouldn't go off unless you were going 10 or more over the the speed limit. I'm sure they are all different.

I didn't see any of those signs on the way down or back. I typically go about 4-5 mph above the posted speed limit. Does anyone know if they ticket a person speeding no matter what (ie 1 mph over the speed limit) or is there some leeway with these photocops?

I read this thread yesterday prior to going home. Once at home I checked the mail and the first thing my eye caught was the senders address as "Sky....something or other" and I though, oh boy, I must have been speeding. But on closer inspection, it was a mailing from my "Sky miles" program... :D

I remember seeing the sign when you were still by the airport in Sioux City. There is like only one and it is not very big. So better words not seeing it does not surprise me. I don't remember seeing one when you come form the north though. Only from the south. If I had not I probably would have gotten a ticket in the mail. Well not really since the plate was not for the car I was driving and the title had not been changed yet. The plate was for a Chrysler and I was driving a Hyundai. Don't ask. The Hyundai was registered still to a doctor in Scottsdale.

Oh yeah, they will forever. Huge money maker! One guy a few years back was testing his new lambo out on the 101 freeway around 3am and got 4 or 5 in a few minutes! lol

They took them off the 101 because they realized when everyone hit the brakes that was more dangerous than people speeding. Well if he was driving a Lambo he could afford the couple grand it cost him.

I didn't see any of those signs on the way down or back. I typically go about 4-5 mph above the posted speed limit. Does anyone know if they ticket a person speeding no matter what (ie 1 mph over the speed limit) or is there some leeway with these photocops? I

I believe the Iowa photocops are triggered at 11 mph over, at least around Des Moines. However, some of the small town cops aren't so lenient.

They took them off the 101 because they realized when everyone hit the brakes that was more dangerous than people speeding. Well if he was driving a Lambo he could afford the couple grand it cost him.

That got very dangerous! The lambo testing wasn't dangerous but just a little expensive fun :)

I obviously missed it. The letter was a complete surprise. I'll know next time.

I saw the one heading south, albeit a little late. I'm just hoping the cube van I was passing blocked the camera at the correct time/angle. I didn't see that it had dropped from 65 to 55. I'll be holding my breath for the next few days. (hmmm kind of like a goofer fan during the playoffs) :D

Hoping since you got yours on the way back and I haven't seen one yet from on the way there that I'll be alright.

I obviously missed it. The letter was a complete surprise. I'll know next time.

Forgot the smiley face. Out of driving by the sign 4 different times I have only noticed it once. Then only because I was looking at something else. Morley saw the one on the north side of town but I missed that every time I went by it.

I saw the one heading south, albeit a little late. I'm just hoping the cube van I was passing blocked the camera at the correct time/angle. I didn't see that it had dropped from 65 to 55. I'll be holding my breath for the next few days. (hmmm kind of like a goofer fan during the playoffs) :D

Hoping since you got yours on the way back and I haven't seen one yet from on the way there that I'll be alright.

The only bright spot is they don't report the violation to the DMV or your insurance company.

It was an expensive trip back to ND when I figure in the fine, the extra hotel room and extra dining costs while waiting for I-29 to open.

Yeah your cruising south down the 101 say just past Indian School and bang everyone is slamming on their brakes. You've been there and done that. Amazing that there were not major pile ups and deaths.

Not only that, but at night the flash is absolutely blinding. Not that I would know, because I never speed. Ever. :D

But, one of my friends (who was a frequent receiver of tickets from the 101 photo cops) used to tell me that it is required by law that tickets be served in person...meaning, if you just don't respond to the ticket in the mail, it doesn't go on your record, and you don't have to pay. If you do this, however, she also advised to not answer your door when 'official-looking people' knock on it. Hahaha! As far as I know, this method worked for her for several years!

On a related note, I remember when I lived in Glendale that there was a story about a guy who sped through all of those, but had covered his license plates and put on a gorilla mask or something like that right before he reached the cameras. There was a big story when the cops finally caught him, because he'd been doing it for several months. Anything to avoid the ticket, I guess! (except actually going slower; that would be a preposterous idea!)

Not only that, but at night the flash is absolutely blinding. Not that I would know, because I never speed. Ever. :D

But, one of my friends (who was a frequent receiver of tickets from the 101 photo cops) used to tell me that it is required by law that tickets be served in person...meaning, if you just don't respond to the ticket in the mail, it doesn't go on your record, and you don't have to pay. If you do this, however, she also advised to not answer your door when 'official-looking people' knock on it. Hahaha! As far as I know, this method worked for her for several years!

On a related note, I remember when I lived in Glendale that there was a story about a guy who sped through all of those, but had covered his license plates and put on a gorilla mask or something like that right before he reached the cameras. There was a big story when the cops finally caught him, because he'd been doing it for several months. Anything to avoid the ticket, I guess! (except actually going slower; that would be a preposterous idea!)

Some places just send them in the mail. As for ditching the servers with the ticket my buddy did the same thing. He was on his motorcycle with a helmet on so no clear picture. As for brightness of the flash I think it is dangerous. All of a sudden your eyes get hit by a bright flash when you are doing over 70 mph? SShhh..

• 2 weeks later...