SiouxSports.com Forum

impact of new conference on TV broadcast

Anderson2200

This TV deal alone is a "you're Fired" moment for whoever signed off on it.

THE most damaging thing that can happen to the University of North Dakota hockey program outside of dumping coach Dave.

There doeant seem to be any accountability right now but just wait until next year when everyone has to pony up the big $$ for a crappy web feed to see the games in Fargo and around the country.

There better be a head rolling along the frozen campus in Grand Forks.

This TV deal alone is a "you're Fired" moment for whoever signed off on it.

THE most damaging thing that can happen to the University of North Dakota hockey program outside of dumping coach Dave.

There doeant seem to be any accountability right now but just wait until next year when everyone has to pony up the big $$ for a crappy web feed to see the games in Fargo and around the country.

There better be a head rolling along the frozen campus in Grand Forks.

Do you mean that one school can tell the other 7 schools in the league what to do? This was not UND's deal.

Do you mean that one school can tell the other 7 schools in the league what to do? This was not UND's deal.

UND, as one of the primary forces behind the formation of the conference, likely could have set preconditions for the conference that would have allowed it to keep its TV deal largely intact. I highly doubt that taking such a stance would have prevented the other schools from wanting to join the new conference (when being left behind in the WCHA was the alternative). And if I'm wrong about this, then Faison at least owes it to the fans to explain that the NCHC would not have been possible if UND had insisted on maintaining its TV deal. Or that he fought hard to keep the TV deal, but was unable to do it. He's never said anything like that as far as I'm aware. As far as I can tell, UND simply fell on the sword for a crummy conference TV deal.

It has been several months, but I still shake my head when I think about this deal.

• Upvote 2

Don't get me wrong I think the deal sucks as much as anyone. But I can look at the bigger picture and see why what happened did. UND had TV money but the rest really had none. The league saw a revenue stream for everyone and not just one school. We have been spoiled with the coverage that we got. UND needed the other schools to go along with them and this was the carrot. Otherwise what real incentive was there for the rest to leave the W or the C?

Let preface the following by saying that I'm formulating my opinion under the assumption that UND games could have continued to be carried by Fox College Sports if not for the exclusivity of the CBS deal. Perhaps Fox informed UND that they wouldn't pick up the games after this season anyways, but since we've never been told otherwise, I'm assuming the status quo would have continued.

One of my biggest problems with the CBS deal is the lack of commitment for carriage. Here's the release:

NCHC Gets Deal With CBS Sports Network

The agreement is for a minimum of 18 conference games, including the NCHC’s semifinal and championship games.

Seriously, 18 games, including the tournament on a national cable channel. That's it.

Last season, FCS televised at least 16 WCHA games, including playoffs, nationally. And they were all played in Grand Forks.

Fox College Sports is available in 54 million homes, while CBSSN is available in 44 million homes.

So, basically, if the NCHC had no national TV contract at all, and UND had the same one that's been in place for the last 4 years, every other NCHC team would likely play on national television roughly the same number of times on FCS that they will on CBSSN, and those games would have been available to more households than the conference deal can offer.

So somebody please try to put some lipstick on that pig for me.................

The only possible benefit of the deal with CBSSN could be monetary. As far as I know, FCS pays little or nothing to the air our games. I'm hoping like hell, that the NCHC is getting some revenue from this deal.

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong I think the deal sucks as much as anyone. But I can look at the bigger picture and see why what happened did. UND had TV money but the rest really had none. The league saw a revenue stream for everyone and not just one school. We have been spoiled with the coverage that we got. UND needed the other schools to go along with them and this was the carrot. Otherwise what real incentive was there for the rest to leave the W or the C?

That's really the only plausible explanation.

Let preface the following by saying that I'm formulating my opinion under the assumption that UND games could have continued to be carried by Fox College Sports if not for the exclusivity of the CBS deal. Perhaps Fox informed UND that they wouldn't pick up the games after this season anyways, but since we've never been told otherwise, I'm assuming the status quo would have continued.

One of my biggest problems with the CBS deal is the lack of commitment for carriage. Here's the release:

Seriously, 18 games, including the tournament on a national cable channel. That's it.

Last season, FCS televised at least 16 WCHA games, including playoffs, nationally. And they were all played in Grand Forks.

Fox College Sports is available in 54 million homes, while CBSSN is available in 44 million homes.

So, basically, if the NCHC had no national TV contract at all, and UND had the same one that's been in place for the last 4 years, every other NCHC team would likely play on national television roughly the same number of times on FCS that they will on CBSSN, and those games would have been available to more households than the conference deal can offer.

The only possible benefit of the deal with CBSSN could be monetary. As far as I know, FCS pays little or nothing to the air our games. I'm hoping like hell, that the NCHC is getting some revenue from this deal.

They might have gotten exposure but no money. As for FCS I doubt they are paying UND anything since they are buying the signal from Midco. There was no revenue for FCS since the ad revenue went to Midco.

So all of the other schools should have just been happy that they would have had their games at UND televised? They shouldn't have tried to get their home games too?

UND should have created a conference all by themselves so all of their homes games could be aired nationally.

So all of the other schools should have just been happy that they would have had their games at UND televised? They shouldn't have tried to get their home games too?

UND should have created a conference all by themselves so all of their homes games could be aired nationally.

I was just using that as an example of the coverage and viewership that CBS can provide.

I think all schools should be allowed to market their product accordingly.

UND is getting money from Midco. Denver is getting money from Root. UMD and St Cloud could probably get money from Charter. WMU and Miami could probably get money from Fox. CC could probably get money from Altitude.

Like i just said, it is obvious the reasons for this are financial. That's fine. Just don't agree with the new coverage options.

Who here remembers when MSC covered Minnesota and us in western ND had no coverage of UND hockey except for the games against the gophers. I am not going to complain about coverage of UND hockey because it is multitudes better than it was. Yes i am in Midco area and have the advantage that many in other parts of the country don't. I am also not going to bet that Midco won't capitalize on the chance of increased revenue by selling rebroadcasts to other networks if at all possible. GIve this thing a chance to pan out and lets see what happens.

• Upvote 3

I get what you are saying. We have been spoiled in recent years.

But at the same time, this is not the early 90's when MSC was in play 20 years ago. The avenues for distribution are so much greater now. I remember when the only time you could see Sioux football or basketball on TV was when they were playing the Bison.

The point is, I don't think it is acceptable to go backwards 5 years from where we are now just because that is still better than what it was 15 years ago.

• Upvote 1

That is where we differ. UND doesn't know what the future holds, but sometimes life is about taking chances. They do have a solution in online viewing home games for those out of market. Everyone says Faison is the one who made this mistake. If he truly did make a mistake, he will answer to it. As I say in work, it is above my pay grade. In the meantime, lets enjoy what we do have.

The point is, I don't think it is acceptable to go backwards 5 years from where we are now just because that is still better than what it was 15 years ago.

Thanks. I was going to say the same thing, only more sarcastically.

And the reality is that we're going backwards more than 5 years. Prior to the FCS deal, Sioux fans outside of the coverage area at least had the FTA satellite option to watch Sioux hockey games. After this year, as I understand it, internet will be the only option.

Also, UND is getting $250K per year from Midco.

In addition, UND Insider subscriptions will probably go way up.

Obviously, if CBS is paying anything, it is much better financially for UND.

Whatever happened to the days when I'd come on this message board after the Fighting Sioux Sports Network was created and read all about how it was the wave of the future to go in-house and how visionary it was for UND to create its own television network and control its own destiny. Posters would make fun of how NDSU was doing TV the old fashioned way with an outdated model (i.e. selling its games to an actual television station). We bragged about how great the FTA satellite option was and how you could watch Sioux hockey from the local bar or buy a satellite dish to watch UND games from the comfort of your own living room anywhere in the country. That sentiment amplified further when UND was able to distribute its FSSN feed to FCS and, all of sudden, UND went national. We all raved about how great it was and how UND was doing it the right way. Back then, it was all about producing your own content, expanding coverage and exposure opportunities, keeping alumni engaged, and thus, creating a large and rabid fan base. Having an engaged and rabid fan base ultimately leads to dollars for the University.

It seems we've totally given up on this "new" philosophy and gone back to the old way of doing things. For what? $250,000 from Midco Sports Net and whatever scraps UND gets from CBS? I don't know, I get the bottom line, having to pay bills and all, it just seems incredibly short-sighted to me.

• Upvote 2

Whatever happened to the days when I'd come on this message board after the Fighting Sioux Sports Network was created and read all about how it was the wave of the future to go in-house and how visionary it was for UND to create its own television network and control its own destiny. Posters would make fun of how NDSU was doing TV the old fashioned way with an outdated model (i.e. selling its games to an actual television station). We bragged about how great the FTA satellite option was and how you could watch Sioux hockey from the local bar or buy a satellite dish to watch UND games from the comfort of your own living room anywhere in the country. That sentiment amplified further when UND was able to distribute its FSSN feed to FCS and, all of sudden, UND went national. We all raved about how great it was and how UND was doing it the right way. Back then, it was all about producing your own content, expanding coverage and exposure opportunities, keeping alumni engaged, and thus, creating a large and rabid fan base. Having an engaged and rabid fan base ultimately leads to dollars for the University.

It seems we've totally given up on this "new" philosophy and gone back to the old way of doing things. For what? $250,000 from Midco Sports Net and whatever scraps UND gets from CBS? I don't know, I get the bottom line, having to pay bills and all, it just seems incredibly short-sighted to me.

I feel the same way. I can only assume that the advertising income from the in-house model wasn't as brisk as they thought it would be. Apparently they feel that the potential revenue from the new deals is enough to warrant denying access to tens of thousands of fans.

What sort of broadcasts are the other NCHC schools able to provide? If many of them are equipped to broadcast in HD that could certainly hurt UND. With CBSSN only airing 18 games a year I'd think they'd try to air as many games that are broadcast in HD as possible meaning UND games might only make the list when UND plays on the road against an opponent whose games are broadcast in HD.

The Ralph may be forced to step it up if they want any national television exposure.

What sort of broadcasts are the other NCHC schools able to provide? If many of them are equipped to broadcast in HD that could certainly hurt UND. With CBSSN only airing 18 games a year I'd think they'd try to air as many games that are broadcast in HD as possible meaning UND games might only make the list when UND plays on the road against an opponent whose games are broadcast in HD.

The Ralph may be forced to step it up if they want any national television exposure.

I don't know, but I'd assume CBSSN would bring their own HD equipment to every venue, like Fox North does. If not, apparently Midco is going to be doing HD from the Ralph next season. I don't know if that means the equipment will always be at REA for other networks to use. I would assume not though.

I don't know, but I'd assume CBSSN would bring their own HD equipment to every venue, like Fox North does. If not, apparently Midco is going to be doing HD from the Ralph next season. I don't know if that means the equipment will always be at REA for other networks to use. I would assume not though.

Midco is still doing every game whether it is on CBSSN or not correct? Not so certain that CBSSN would be sending their own equipment if they can pick up Midco's HD feed. I could be wrong though.

Midco is still doing every game whether it is on CBSSN or not correct? Not so certain that CBSSN would be sending their own equipment if they can pick up Midco's HD feed. I could be wrong though.

I think they usually like to have the their own commentators, not sure if that would mean they'd send their HD truck up too or not.