SiouxSports.com Forum

Diving in college hockey

Wilbur

I never said it was more blatant than all of Wisco's dives, I just pointed out that Grimaldi did it to since its been completely ignored while talking about diving/embellishing. Don't get me wrong, what Wisconsin was doing doing this weekend as a team was absolutely ridiculous and pathetic. I didn't think Grimaldi's fall in real time looked right with how he went down but I gave him the benefit of the doubt because he was definitely held. The replay, however, showed VERY clearly that he embellished it.

I am in no way saying UND does this a lot or did it more than Wisconsin (because obviously they didn't), but it did happen on Grimaldi's play. It's just something that every team does and like I said earlier, until they really crack down and start calling penalties every time they think there was embellishment or a dive it's just going to get worse.

I agree with what you are saying. Was the play on Rocco a penalty? Yes, absolutely. Did he embellish a little to make sure it was called? Yes, I think he did. He had the d-man beat, if he keeps driving to the net, he either gets a scoring chance or a penalty will be called. Whatever happened to playing hard and never stopping your feet to draw a penalty, not embellishing little ticky-tacky stuff in order to draw one.

I saw the initial contact between AndyMac and the stinkin' badger and figured "penalty" (because it was AndyMac).

But then I realized:

(a) AndyMac's stick rebounded above his shoulder from the contact with the stinkin' badger, and

(b) there were no orange arm bands going into the air.

That's when I realized (as the officials must have also) that to hook someone down it's pretty tough to have the stick that applied the hook recoil that far away from the impact.

The problem with officiating is you have to embellish to get the call. It's no different in basketball. The other night Weber State was in town and much bigger. When they were on offense the post would have ball and just back the UND d until he was under basket and couldn't do anything. Should've been offensive. Never got called until a UND defender fell.

In Friday's game when Grimaldi finally went off and started fighting the UW player did he go down to the ice either time when the uw player was holding him? I want to say he did and got right back up, but obviously the refs didn't want to call either of those infractions. Definitely a different officiated game Saturday compared to Friday.

• Upvote 1

Smoggy does make an excellent point. Seems if you don't embellish at all a lot of legitimate penalties go uncalled because the player doesn't fall to the ice or whatever.

Friday night reminded me of Parise against UAA with players draped all over him and no call ever happening because he wouldn't go down.

• Upvote 2

I saw the initial contact between AndyMac and the stinkin' badger and figured "penalty" (because it was AndyMac).

But then I realized:

(a) AndyMac's stick rebounded above his shoulder from the contact with the stinkin' badger, and

(b) there were no orange arm bands going into the air.

That's when I realized (as the officials must have also) that to hook someone down it's pretty tough to have the stick that applied the hook recoil that far away from the impact.

The stick thing was one of the big reasons I questioned if that was really hooking

Good point brought up. Officials need to do a better job making the call if a player doesn't go down. As soon as a player takes his hand off of his stick and puts it on an opponent its got to be holding or interference. When it isn't called it just turns into the NHL of 1997.

I'll agree with GFG. I think Grimaldi took a dive on that play he is referring to. It was clearly a penalty on the Wisconsin player, but would the officials have called it if Rocco keeps moving his feet? The Wisco player already took away the scoring chance, by grabbing him.

Maybe I need to be easier on the alleged divers.

There is way too much clutching and grabbing going on in today's game in college. I agree that if a player takes his hand off his stick and grabs the player with the puck it should be a 2 minute minor for holding. Obviously we would have a parade to the penalty box if this was enforced but I believe the holding rule should be stricter.

In the NCAA rule book in Section 7 under restraining fouls -

Rule 56 - Holding

A player shall not hold or grab opponent in any manner (stick, hand, etc.)

PENALTY - Minor

Another rule that should be enforced more is holding the stick.

Rule 57 - Holding the stick

A player shall not hold an opponent's stick in any manner.

PENALTY - Minor

The game would be a lot better if the refereers actually made calls when they are supposed to. As soon as the UW defender placed his hand on Grimaldi his arm should have gone up. They dont follow the rule book as strict as I would like them too. Rules are rules. Like I said, the game has changed so much. Now with the stick holding, I understand if the referee cant see it, but if he does, even for a second, it should be called.

There is way too much clutching and grabbing going on in today's game in college. I agree that if a player takes his hand off his stick and grabs the player with the puck it should be a 2 minute minor for holding. Obviously we would have a parade to the penalty box if this was enforced but I believe the holding rule should be stricter.

In the NCAA rule book in Section 7 under restraining fouls -

Rule 56 - Holding

A player shall not hold or grab opponent in any manner (stick, hand, etc.)

PENALTY - Minor

Another rule that should be enforced more is holding the stick.

Rule 57 - Holding the stick

A player shall not hold an opponent's stick in any manner.

PENALTY - Minor

The game would be a lot better if the refereers actually made calls when they are supposed to. As soon as the UW defender placed his hand on Grimaldi his arm should have gone up. They dont follow the rule book as strict as I would like them too. Rules are rules. Like I said, the game has changed so much. Now with the stick holding, I understand if the referee cant see it, but if he does, even for a second, it should be called.

The problem with that is you are allowed to use your stick or arm to establish the opposing player's position so then it's the gray area did he grab a fist full of jersey was the stick just feeling for the player or was that a little tug and a hook.

The problem with that is you are allowed to use your stick or arm to establish the opposing player's position so then it's the gray area did he grab a fist full of jersey was the stick just feeling for the player or was that a little tug and a hook.

Then they need to be a little clearer in the rule book, as it states "in any manner". Does it state in the rule book you are allowed do that to establish the opposing player's position? What happened to hustle and battle the player off of the puck, instead we get all this grabbing and hooking other players. Even when players are skating down the rink with the puck, plenty of opposing players, including UND, tries to hook the player with the puck a little. Why? Be a man and skate to the player and hit him/bump him off the puck. Or poke check the puck away.You can hit a player who has the puck, just make sure you're not in dangerous area. Or mabye i'm the one thats really bothered with all of this play.

Best officials I ever was on the ice with brought the captains to the scorer's table during warm-ups and set it down simply and early:

"Two hands on your stick and your stick on the ice. If your stick isn't on the ice it better not be touching anything. And if you hand isn't on your stick it had better be empty."

It sounded great but I figured they were trying to sound tough before the game.

Thirty seconds in I felt a stick tap on my outside shoulder as I went into the corner for a puck. They called it. I was stunned. Thirty seconds into the powerplay I grabbed a defenders stick to move it out of my way to establish position to screen. So much for the powerplay ...

We adjusted fast.

It can be called that way.

Best officials I ever was on the ice with brought the captains to the scorer's table during warm-ups and set it down simply and early:

"Two hands on your stick and your stick on the ice. If your stick isn't on the ice it better not be touching anything. And if you hand isn't on your stick it had better be empty."

It sounded great but I figured they were trying to sound tough before the game.

Thirty seconds in I felt a stick tap on my outside shoulder as I went into the corner for a puck. They called it. I was stunned. Thirty seconds into the powerplay I grabbed a defenders stick to move it out of my way to establish position to screen. So much for the powerplay ...

We adjusted fast.

It can be called that way.

When the NHL was coming back after lockout number.....well the one before this one, I remember watching the season opener between the Rangers and someone else and the officials had the go ahead from the NHL to call everything to get rid of the obstruction crap. The first period was a specialty teams war, heck the whole game was.

But the players eventually figured it out.