SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL 2013

jodcon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to post my Suter/Parise reply to DaveK here instead of the Olympic thread...

How do you propose to rein-in this collusion between players who are free agents? Rank them in the off-season and have rules in place where the same team can't sign them?

I'm no Wild fan, but kudos to their owner for opening up the wallet instead of living on the memory of that 2003 team's run to the Western Conference finals with a bunch of low-paid nobodies on the roster.

I'm going to post my Suter/Parise reply to DaveK here instead of the Olympic thread...

How do you propose to rein-in this collusion between players who are free agents? Rank them in the off-season and have rules in place where the same team can't sign them?

I'm no Wild fan, but kudos to their owner for opening up the wallet instead of living on the memory of that 2003 team's run to the Western Conference finals with a bunch of low-paid nobodies on the roster.

Doesn't matter...all that money spent and they're still a borderline playoff team...
  • Upvote 1

Doesn't matter...all that money spent and they're still a borderline playoff team...

My friends in the TC's all drank the Kool-Aid when those two signed with the team. Didn't help when Barry Melrose anointed the Wild a Stanley Cup favorite the very next day on ESPN. Despite the Red Wings moving to the east and the Winnipeg Jets moving to the west this season, they're STILL only a borderline playoff team.

In the Olympic Hockey thread, DaveK said:

It wasn't one guy going elsewhere for more money, it was two guys conspiring to both go to the same team. The top two free agents available in a given offseason should not go to the same team ever in this or any other lifetime. The Wild were essentially trying to become the New York Yankees of hockey.

I disagree with this take. It's not even closely comparable to the NY Yankees. In the NHL there is a salary cap, so the Wild can go get a Suter and Parise and pay them this huge salary, but that will limit what they can spend on other players. In MLB, the Yankees can go out and buy whoever they want, and pay $230M for their team's salary while smaller market teams are paying $50M - $60M. The salary cap is the great equalizer, and I think your take is way off base. I have no problem with 2 guys wanting to go to the same team, and if they are free agents and have that right, then more power to them.

Now, if you want to talk about Parise's tenure with the Devils, them making him captain and the Devils doing the right things as an organization, and then Parise leaving the team leaves a bad impression - I can possibly get on board with that. Not sure that I can 100% when he's from Minnesota and wants to go home to play, but I can at least see where you're coming from there.

It wasn't one guy going elsewhere for more money, it was two guys conspiring to both go to the same team. The top two free agents available in a given offseason should not go to the same team ever in this or any other lifetime. The Wild were essentially trying to become the New York Yankees of hockey. The way that deal went down left a bad taste in my mouth regarding both the Wild as an organization as well as Parise and Suter as individuals. In Parise's case he led the Devils on to believe that he had every intention to stay there. The year before when they were not able to reach an extension they made him the captain and he accepted in a goodwill gesture of both sides being committed to a long term relationship. Then he turned around and stabbed them in the back. The kid had us all fooled into believing he was a class act. I'm not even a Devils fan, but I hate what he did to that organization.

Don't they need to win about 20 Stanley Cups before that statement can even be made? Right now, they'd settle for being tied with Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, and Anaheim in terms of Stanley Cups - ONE. :lol:

Don't they need to win about 20 Stanley Cups before that statement can even be made? Right now, they'd settle for being tied with Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, and Anaheim in terms of Stanley Cups - ONE. :lol:

I think right now they would settle for making the playoffs.

My wife and I just purchased tickets for next months Wild vs Rangers game. I have never been to a pro hockey game, so I cannot wait to go. We are going to be next to the penalty box, sweet tickets!! I am thinking Sioux jersey for that night.

Wear your Sioux jersey but be prepared to run into some idiot fans.

Love this Hawks' fan post after the Chicago win last night:

Well when everyone says Crosby is in a class by himself as the best player in the World and I get shouted down for saying that they are mistaken because of Toews now I have the first head to head play between those two players.

Crosby 22:02 TOI, 0 Goals, 0 Assists, -2 +-, 3 Shots on Goal, 1 Take away, 0 Give away, 47% Faceoff percentage.

Toews 18:56 TOI, 2 Goals, 1 Assists, +3 +-, 7 Shots on Goal, 2 take aways, 1 Give away, 56% Faceoff percentage.

Oh and Crosby 1 dive, Toews one call out, Corsby one whine about being called out, Toews 1 game winning goal.

• Upvote 2

Love this Hawks' fan post after the Chicago win last night:

I understand not too many people like Crosby on this site however you cannot ignore his talent on the ice nor his production every year (on average). I do have Toews as my #2 overall player in the league due to his achievements.

Crosby and Toews are by far my two favorite players in no particular order.

• Upvote 1

There is no act to clean up. To suggest otherwise is ignorant.

So Teemu Selanne and Jonathan Toews barking at Sidney over his flopping on the ice like a carp out of water isn't something that #87 should concern himself with? Great player, sure, but an embarrassment when he looks like a European soccer player out there on the ice.

• Upvote 2

I'm not aware of anything said by Selanne and/or Toews. I do have a great deal of respect for each of those individuals, but if you can provide a link to back up what you're saying here I will probably lose some respect for them.

Why? Because they call Crosby out for diving? Maybe you should lose some respect for him.

If a player on a team that you cheer for did the very same thing you would call it drawing a penalty. To call it diving makes you come off as a whiny little crybaby. I lose respect for ANYBODY who whines about "so and so is diving". In my opinion players should just shut the hell up and play the game.

So diving = ok, but calling somebody out for it = not ok? :).

If a player on a team that you cheer for did the very same thing you would call it drawing a penalty. To call it diving makes you come off as a whiny little crybaby. I lose respect for ANYBODY who whines about "so and so is diving". In my opinion players should just shut the hell up and play the game.

Because players who embellish and whine about not getting calls shouldn't "shut the hell up and play the game?"

I'm not aware of anything said by Selanne and/or Toews. I do have a great deal of respect for each of those individuals, but if you can provide a link to back up what you're saying here I will probably lose some respect for them.

You know, you really should change your name to DoubtingDaveK - you questioned slew-footing a while back, then when I provided links to the NHL rule-book and an instructional video from your very own Pittsburgh Penguins web site in which the instructors said this is a "big problem" in today's NHL, you STILL dismissed it as a insignificant and irrelevant.

You've watched thousands of games...I'm sure you tuned in for the Finland/Canada and Chicago/Pittsburgh games recently and saw it with your own eyes. Hilarious that you'd lose respect for Selanne and Toews for challenging your golden boy...but since you asked...

http://nextimpulsesports.com/2014/02/16/teemu-selanne-calls-sidney-crosby-diving-sid-takes-exception/

Because players who embellish and whine about not getting calls shouldn't "shut the hell up and play the game?"

There are tons of players in the league that are great at drawing penalties....Crosby just happens to be the best player in the league and he is great at drawing penalties. I mean, he learned from the best....Lemieux was one of the best players in the league at drawing penalties during his time.

No, actually, I wouldn't, DaveK. I'd call it diving.

You're the same type of fan who has no problem with an NFL wide receiver jumping up claiming "I caught it! I caught it" and showing the football to an offical...as instant replay shows the ball skipping on the turf three feet in front of him while he's diving to make a catch.

Or maybe you prefer bush league baseball like A-Rod yelling "I got it" while running to 3B on an infield pop-up?

Bush league is bush league - and if you like players flopping all over trying to draw penalties, go watch soccer.

• Upvote 2