SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota v. Portland St

bincitysioux

How was the crowd for the game today?

just home from the Betty.. Small crowd but at times they got into it. A group of students behind the scorer's table did a nice job of getting into at least one PSU player's head. I thought Wilmer played with some good emotion too, and that seems to fire us up. Nice win.

just home from the Betty.. Small crowd but at times they got into it. A group of students behind the scorer's table did a nice job of getting into at least one PSU player's head. I thought Wilmer played with some good emotion too, and that seems to fire us up. Nice win.

Yeah I saw that. He gave them the bird too.

21 of 21 from the line. Listening to the post game, thats a record. Never saw that coming. I'm impressed. I was impressed with Portland St. They've got some nice players. Good to see us shoot from the field better as well. I always find it hard to believe what a big factor confidence can play for an athlete. Webb, for a portion of this season didn't seem confident, now you can tell he is, and he seems like a different player. Of course, I don't know why he should ever lose confidence, he can be such a tremendous player. Very good home stand.

Post-Game Thoughts:

-Never thought I would ever see in person a perfect free throw performance (a legitament one, not like a 4 for 4 performance or something), especially after last years woes, Jones was very complimentary to all their work they had put in since last season ended.

-Portland State must be besides themsevles right now. They shoot over 50% from the field and behind the arc, and 75% from the line. They also outrebounded UND 28-22, and they still came up short. Very solid team I thought, just managed to hit big shot after big shot

-I am going to give Wilmer some credit for being able to chip in some big buckets when we needed them, a much better performance from a guy I have been really ragging on

-IMO, not only is Aaron Anderson making a strong case for potential 1st Team Big Sky honors, but if his stellar play can continue, he can start to lay a foundation for perhaps a run at Big Sky Player of the Year next year alongside his buddy Huff. He was awesome today and made very good decisions for the most part.

-Speaking of Huff... The scary thing is I start to wonder what exactly our fortunes would have been if we have had Huff playing at this level all season long. He played like a superstar, and I can see the real improvement since his Sophomore year.

-Webb has started to ball, and he is starting to make better decision and it is no secret that with Webb going alongside Huff and Anderson, we have 3 players playing at a high level and will be very hard to beat. Clutch 3 at the end once again!

-Schuler had a tough task of guarding the 6'8 guy, but he was good at chipping in with some nice shots

NOW... 4-4 and sitting it 3rd right now and a Huge road swing against Sac State and NAU. While they will be tough games, I think there are 2 wins to be had. If that occurs, to be sitting 6-4 in the conference despite all our frontcourt issues would be a pretty good sitting.

• Upvote 1

Post-Game Thoughts:

-Never thought I would ever see in person a perfect free throw performance (a legitament one, not like a 4 for 4 performance or something), especially after last years woes, Jones was very complimentary to all their work they had put in since last season ended.

-Portland State must be besides themsevles right now. They shoot over 50% from the field and behind the arc, and 75% from the line. They also outrebounded UND 28-22, and they still came up short. Very solid team I thought, just managed to hit big shot after big shot

-I am going to give Wilmer some credit for being able to chip in some big buckets when we needed them, a much better performance from a guy I have been really ragging on

-IMO, not only is Aaron Anderson making a strong case for potential 1st Team Big Sky honors, but if his stellar play can continue, he can start to lay a foundation for perhaps a run at Big Sky Player of the Year next year alongside his buddy Huff. He was awesome today and made very good decisions for the most part.

-Speaking of Huff... The scary thing is I start to wonder what exactly our fortunes would have been if we have had Huff playing at this level all season long. He played like a superstar, and I can see the real improvement since his Sophomore year.

-Webb has started to ball, and he is starting to make better decision and it is no secret that with Webb going alongside Huff and Anderson, we have 3 players playing at a high level and will be very hard to beat. Clutch 3 at the end once again!

-Schuler had a tough task of guarding the 6'8 guy, but he was good at chipping in with some nice shots

NOW... 4-4 and sitting it 3rd right now and a Huge road swing against Sac State and NAU. While they will be tough games, I think there are 2 wins to be had. If that occurs, to be sitting 6-4 in the conference despite all our frontcourt issues would be a pretty good sitting.

I agree with your analysis and to be honest I would take a road split this coming week. Schuler did not shoot well but lead us with 4 assists and no turnovers. Great team win.

During this winning streak these players are playing more unselfish than they have in years. The guards are driving and actually looking for the open player and we are getting more wide open shots than we have all year and look at what our shooting percentages have been lately. Hopefully they will continue to improve on this cause there is still room to get better. I did hear the coach for Portland State yell out to his players at one point when Huff was driving telling them to collapse on Huff once he drives cause he will not pass it. Coaches will figure this out for all our guards and its even more important that they do dish it when they are double teamed. Kudos to the coaches for starting 4 guards cause this is no doubt our best offense and most lethal and actually our best defense even if Schuler is guarding 6 8 guys.

During this winning streak these players are playing more unselfish than they have in years. The guards are driving and actually looking for the open player and we are getting more wide open shots than we have all year and look at what our shooting percentages have been lately. Hopefully they will continue to improve on this cause there is still room to get better. I did hear the coach for Portland State yell out to his players at one point when Huff was driving telling them to collapse on Huff once he drives cause he will not pass it. Coaches will figure this out for all our guards and its even more important that they do dish it when they are double teamed. Kudos to the coaches for starting 4 guards cause this is no doubt our best offense and most lethal and actually our best defense even if Schuler is guarding 6 8 guys.

Great points. I think we have hit a turning point as far as dishing to open shooters, whether back to the perimeter or backdoor stuff down low.

As for the latter, Wilmer still fumbles the ball and that cost us at least 4 points yesterday. With Brekke in there -- if ever-- his athleticism will get us those 4 points back x 2.

Rebounding remains a challenge for Wilmer and Archer. Got to get more active, assertive and aggressive like Huff does minus the bigs' God given attributes.

I still cringe when Allard drives the lane, as too often he finds himself looking clueless in the paint. Same for when Archer launches from outside. I am sorry that is an ugly shot.

Now the positives: 21-21 from the line = unconscious!!!! Jones should write a book or hold a clinic on what he did in the off-season and up to this point to achieve this amazing turn around from years' past. An Achilles Heel has become a true weapon for us.

They are exuding with confidence right now, but a big road test awaits.

Go UND!