SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ MICHIGAN TECH - Saturday

AZSIOUX

Hopefully doesn't rub the sweep in too much to Pietila on the plane ride. Come home after break, Parks will be an instant boost to our offense. Who knows, Mitch MacMillan might be a surprise too, if he pans out at all we could have three lines scoring on a consistent basis.

Talking point:

UND is down 4-1, and is going on a powerplay and given a penalty shot in the same sequence. The shot has to be taken by a guy that is a goal scorer on your team, but nothing spectacular.

Do you do what Tech did and risk missing the penalty shot (we all know goalies have a big advantage) and blowing the powerplay, or do you turn down the penalty shot and have a 5-3 powerplay for a full two minutes?

As a former coach with my team down 4-1, struggling to get anything going offensively, and at a critical point in the game. I take the 5-3 to try and get some momentum going, at least even in the offensive end for a bit. I think you have a better chance of getting one on a 5-3 than you do on a penalty shot against a goaltender that is playing well.

Thoughts?

Talking point:

UND is down 4-1, and is going on a powerplay and given a penalty shot in the same sequence. The shot has to be taken by a guy that is a goal scorer on your team, but nothing spectacular.

Do you do what Tech did and risk missing the penalty shot (we all know goalies have a big advantage) and blowing the powerplay, or do you turn down the penalty shot and have a 5-3 powerplay for a full two minutes?

As a former coach with my team down 4-1, struggling to get anything going offensively, and at a critical point in the game. I take the 5-3 to try and get some momentum going, at least even in the offensive end for a bit. I think you have a better chance of getting one on a 5-3 than you do on a penalty shot against a goaltender that is playing well.

Thoughts?

I have always thought a penalty shot or penalty should be a coaches option.

I think in Tech's situation I actually take the penalty shot. Lots of goals to make up and clock isn't running for that one.

I have always thought a penalty shot or penalty should be a coaches option.

I think in Tech's situation I actually take the penalty shot. Lots of goals to make up and clock isn't running for that one.

If it was the coach's option I go with the penalty shot every time. I mean if you can have Danny Kristo take it, he takes it. But if it was a situation where maybe a Stephane Pattyn draws one, boy.....I'd rather have Kristo and company with space and a 5-3.

Let me be clear though. If Pattyn draws one in a five on five situation, I let him take it.